Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Crunch Years for these Players in 2023

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:06 pm
Post subject: Crunch Years for these Players in 2023Reply with quote

These players in 2023 face season defining years given they're in the last year of their contracts and on the fringes:

* Trent Bianco
* Tom Wilson
* Trey Ruscoe
* W. Kelly
* A. Begg
* M Cox
* Cooper Murley

Along with the incumbents Arlo Draper and Harvey Harrison whom shall face pressure from the newbies. Even (my man) John Noble could be challenged for regular selection by year's end.

Thoughts?

Last edited by inxs88 on Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianco kicked the ball to Elliott who then dobbed it after the siren.

He gets a 15 year contract.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:57 pm

I agree with this list. It's a C grade list of hopefuls.

Except Mason Cox, he will be required and does enough with the occasional brilliant game.
Don't forget Mason was getting over his eye problems.

Out of the rest, each needs a breakout season or else its a breakup season.
Finlay Macrae also needs to show something more and fight his way into the seniors...

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:00 pm

Probably need to add Carmichael and McInnes, too.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:36 pm

David wrote:

Hard to believe McInnes is still only 19 ( Turns 20 in a couple weeks ) In 12 months time he will obviously be 20 and that might still be a bit early to put a line through a 194cm early second round mid field prospect.
For mine, as long as he shows improvement in 2023, then he stays on for at least one more season. His ceiling would appear to be higher than the others mentioned, so that should buy him some extra credits along the way.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:10 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
David wrote:

Hard to believe McInnes is still only 19 ( Turns 20 in a couple weeks ) In 12 months time he will obviously be 20 and that might still be a bit early to put a line through a 194cm early second round mid field prospect.
For mine, as long as he shows improvement in 2023, then he stays on for at least one more season. His ceiling would appear to be higher than the others mentioned, so that should buy him some extra credits along the way.

Do you view Tyler Brown was far behind McInness and Macrae? All three were arguably Centres designate. I sort of expected one to make it, hoping for two. They're both still young so hopefully they get another season or two to stake their claim.
When brought into the Seniors, each appeared to struggle with moving out of that Centre role in the VFL, when played out of that position (understandably) in the Seniors. Tyler in particular looked lost.
With Allan coming in, perhaps another one to compete for a spot, with any of those three could prove real value on a wing while they develop.

Will be keenly watching the pre-season to see where Fly and co start to play them and which one of them grabs the bull by the horns.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:33 pm

* W. Kelly.

He's the one Im really worried about. We are screaming for a fey forward, and Checkers is also starting to get a bit older. Will has an opportunity to do something in 2023. He's been given a 1 year extension, so he knows this is it.

If he doesnt stand up, he's going to be delisted. I know he has talent. But no one knows what position he is. I say, stick him at FF and leave him there. Thats where we need the most improvement. And that's where he must help us out.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:54 pm

Cox and Noble are safe. Noble is underrated. Tough as nails.

Kelly and Ruscoe stand out as the ones in the last chance latrine.

The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:30 pm

Mason Cox has played 94 games for us. Just want him to play 6 more to reach that magical 100.

Once he reaches 100, put him in the *breeding program and reap the benefits in 20 odd years.

At one stage he was going out with one of our netball stars. A match made in heaven as far as genetics go. Both went their own ways though.

Wishful thinking.

Last edited by The General on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:59 pm

The General wrote:
Mason Cox has played 94 games for us. Just want him to play 6 more to reach that magical 100.

Once he reaches 100, put him in the breading program and reap the benefits in 20 odd years.

At one stage he was going out with one of our netball stars. A match made in heaven as far as genetics go. Both went their own ways though.

Wishful thinking.

You only get fat if you eat too much bread!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:25 am

Given that big blokes, particularly ruckmen, often don't become good players until their mid 20s I reckon Begg is safe for a couple more years. As long as our coaches see the potential in him, there's no need to rush his development.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:23 am

LaurieHolden wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
David wrote:

Do you view Tyler Brown was far behind McInness and Macrae? All three were arguably Centres designate. I sort of expected one to make it, hoping for two. They're both still young so hopefully they get another season or two to stake their claim.
When brought into the Seniors, each appeared to struggle with moving out of that Centre role in the VFL, when played out of that position (understandably) in the Seniors. Tyler in particular looked lost.
With Allan coming in, perhaps another one to compete for a spot, with any of those three could prove real value on a wing while they develop.

Will be keenly watching the pre-season to see where Fly and co start to play them and which one of them grabs the bull by the horns.

We all look at 193 / 194cm mid field prospects and start to salivate but the reality is, there are many occasions when it’s a curse for a draftee. At 193 there’s every chance you don’t have the agility, can’t carry your size around the ground all day and aren’t much chop below your knees but your abilities were enough to serve you very well in the U18s. That height also means it’s not enough to play down the spine either ( AFL level )

What I like about McInnes is the club believe he presents some qualities of both a midfielder and / or a forward. He clearly has many potential strings to his bow and that’s where he had it over Tyler ( and at three years younger ) We should also remember at 19, McInnes was just holding his spot in the firsts until he was injured, so it’s not like the club didn’t think he had anything to offer the seniors at that stage.
There are so many elements required to become a regular AFL player and I don’t know if McInnes has them all or not but versatility at least affords you opportunities that the one dimensional players don’t benefit from. And that’s why player versatility has become more important than ever on draft night. The club might set out to select a midfielder with their first pick but there will be no criticism should that player turn out to be a 200 game, premiership back pocket instead.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:21 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Given that big blokes, particularly ruckmen, often don't become good players until their mid 20s I reckon Begg is safe for a couple more years. As long as our coaches see the potential in him, there's no need to rush his development.

What I wouldn’t think would happen, is that we delist BOTH Cox and Begg at the end of the 2023 season. Potentially, that would mean our immediate needs for 2024 would be either 2 or 3 new ruckmen added onto our list ( particularly if you’re in the camp that believes we’re going into 2023 as one ruckman short ) You really don’t want to put yourself in that position in terms of list management.
For mine, if Begg improves, he stays. Conversely, if Cox can improve a little and Begg should stagnate, then the outcome may look a little different.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:08 pm

Maybe even all of the above

If you are deemed to be near the limit of your potential, and are not a priority as a backup, you no longer have a spot on the list.

I think that decision will be made faster than in previous years.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:11 pm

Of the 99 players we have drafted / traded in from 2011, 39 remain. (unsure how that compares to other Clubs).

Given none of those you listed came to us earlier than Pick 31, I think natural selection by way of talent attrition will claim the bulk of the group.
Suspect only Begg will remain. As Rudey pointed out, Ruckmen take time to develop.
I think Draper and Harrison will be still around come 2024. Draper I'm tipping to be this years bolter into the seniors. Both will likely challenge for Johnny Nobles spot. If they dislodge Noble, you know they're going to be players.

Average games played relative to a players Draft selection range ~
Picks 31 to 50 ~ 79.3
Picks 51 to 70 ~ 47.6
Later Picks ~ 40.4
Rookie Picks 1 to 10 ~ 46.7
Rookie Picks 11 to 30 ~ 36.9
Rookie Picks 31 to 50 ~ 34.5
Rookie Later Picks ~ 22.7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: