Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Working from home

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
dont give em welfare!

Pretty sure they don't in the USA.

And Thanks Ptiddy. My view is people have proved they can work from home effectively, many have moved away from the city, and while plenty miss the social interaction of working in an office, not many want to do the commute anymore.

I read somewhere that New York was suffering from the absence of office workers

Long as they Do a Good Job and do the Jobs when they should then be okay to work at Home

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:31 pm

^

It's safe to say that things won't go back to pre covid, but not every job suits working from home.

It's largely white collar office workers who can do it. Some family and medical services can work if done remotely, but lose something from the human interaction.

I had a lunch today with my direct colleagues. I've been working there nearly 12 months and that was the first time the 5 of us were in the same room together in person.

The way of the future will be the hybrid model of some working from home and some in the office. Once businesses properly get their heads around it, they'll realise the benefits of smaller office space rental and less consumables expenditure

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:37 pm

Rather than continuing in the Covid thread, I thought I'd resurrect this ine.

With the working from home "recommendation" to cease from Monday organisations are treading carefully, careful to manage employee expectations.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/companies-staff-navigate-the-return-to-work-20220222-p59ykb.html

Looks like many if not most of the big organisations will stick with some form of Hybrid model. I loved this quote about the English.

Quote:
NAB behavioural economist Dean Pearson warned all businesses including the bank would have to manage employee preferences around continuing to work flexibly and clustering of office days around the centre of the week.

This worldwide phenomenon has seen workers in the United Kingdom dubbed ‘TWATs’ for only going into the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, working from home on Mondays and Fridays either through choice or employer decree.

Ehhhh, no comment. Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:17 pm

Did a day in the office today. 9am to 4pm. Longest day I've spent in an office for nearly 2 years.

Felt like a kid going on an excursion this morning. Had to pack the laptop and gear, prepare lunch and shower and breakfast early so I could be in the car by 8.30.

I actually enjoyed it. No masks, lots of meetings, collaboration is so much better when you are physically present together. Very Happy

Didn't enjoy having to wear socks and dress shoes though, they were the first thing off after I got home.

Regular from now on will be Wednesdays in the office and expand that as we go on.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:28 pm

Good on ya.

The collaboration is exactly why people need to get back to the office. There has been untold damage to corporate culture and innovation with two years of working from home.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:56 pm

Back in the office today, 8:45 to 5pm. Shocked

Work is only a 15 minute drive so I'm working on my morning routine to see how it can work without stressing. Still did a 30 minute walk (3.2km), kettlebell exercises and stretches and had time to make lunch and eat breakfast, so that was good.

When I got home, mum actually noted how weird it felt for her. I don't interact with her much during the day when I'm working but she can hear me on calls/meetings and I'm moving around topping up the water etc, so being gone all day, she noticed the silence.

Work is doing some staff surveys on people's attitudes to returning to the office and is prepared to make changes to flexible working policy and is embracing hybrid options for non-client facing staff, which is all really good.

Hybrid working is clearly the way forward and with the number of applicants for jobs at an all time low, employers will need to embrace flexibility to attract and retain staff.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:02 pm

The eldest BF went to work on Monday, Tuesday he gets the call, I was extra pissed because she was going to cook us all dinner.! The £$%$er didn’t feel good, went to work sat next to the bf at lunch for an hour then went and got tested!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:16 pm

In the office again today. It hit me before how quiet it was but I think I've figured out why.

After basically 2 years of working from home, people aren't used to having other people around them when they're working. There's no chat, any discussions in the open are very soft, if people take a call they get up from their desk and walk away somewhere private.

It's like the presence of other people around them when working has people hyper sensitive about noise.

For me, I usually have the radio going in the background while working at home, so the silence in the office really hits. The benefit is being able to have quick chats with people instead of sending emails. Much more efficient.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:20 pm

It’s funny you mention that as we got a new boss recently and he’s so quiet me and a colleague often forget he’s there and just chat openly. We’re not saying anything bad just talking shit but he’s office is 10m away and door open.

But I’m always loud naturally due do the hearing issues.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:17 pm

Seems there's a shortage of applicants in HR jobs at the moment which would mirror what's going on generally. Where I currently work has been working really hard to attract suitable applicants to a couple of mid range HR jobs that pre covid they would have been able to pick and choose.

I got a phone call this arvo from a recuitment agency i'm registered with, sounding me out for some HR jobs in a health service. I respectfully declined to be considered, happy where I am for the moment, but the fact that a well known and well respected health service needs to go to a recruitment agency for non-executive jobs says something about the current job market.

Reaching out to people and being prepared to negotiate flexibility is working which makes recruiters earn their money. The newest member of the team where I am was cold called and asked to apply and then negotiated the same deal I have, 4 day week and 2 from home, to convince them to leave where they were. Good deal for us, got a gun, but that's how things are working now.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:27 pm

We had a job go recently that had bugger all applicants, then those chosen for an interview only one actually showed up and they were on Teams!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:54 pm

Yeah, my read is that people aren't changing jobs if they're happy with their current working arrangements and employers are reticent to force people back to the office because they will go somewhere else.

Flexibility and working from home is the new EVP.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:49 pm

Yeah yeah yeah, THanks for the push, gotta go finish a bas, ugh I hate my job! Can’t $£$%^%%$ wait for retirement! Oh wait hubby tells people I’m more or less retired, so **** the bas, **** the dishes, **** the washing, **** the housework, and go Toby!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:21 pm

^

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:36 pm

think positive wrote:
Yeah yeah yeah, THanks for the push, gotta go finish a bas, ugh I hate my job! Can’t $�$%^%%$ wait for retirement! Oh wait hubby tells people I’m more or less retired, so **** the bas, **** the dishes, **** the washing, **** the housework, and go Toby!

Thanks for the reminder, BAS all done Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: