Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We do not want first dibs on Dib

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdally wrote:
Know nothing about him apart from his height and position.
174cm tall is not the type of player we need.
We already have McCreery, Ginnivan, Noble, Chugg, C Brown who are all undersized.

Really?

How tall do players need to be?

Just as a counterpoint, Dougie Barwick was a favorite and he was only 173cm. He seemed to go okay despite that apparent limitation.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:28 pm

Actually surprised by this, thought he went okay in his VFL games.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:43 pm

jackcass wrote:
mattdally wrote:
We already have McCreery, Ginnivan, Noble, Chugg, C Brown who are all undersized.

Really?

Just as a counterpoint, Dougie Barwick was a favorite and he was only 173cm. He seemed to go okay despite that apparent limitation.

I think in this case, mattdally was commenting on the amount of players we have around that height, not stating that we should never recruit such players. I agree with him. We need a variety of heights, not fill the tank up with vertically challenged players who can only play in limited positions 🙄

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:50 pm

jackcass wrote:
mattdally wrote:

Really?

Being 174cm ( Dib ) doesn’t mean he can’t play but what it does mean is that there are over 100 other kids scattered around the countryside all with similar attributes and skills but still taller than him. There isn’t a talent spotter in the land who would line two kids up with similar qualities and strengths and then choose the shorter one. It’s even more difficult for Dib because he plays as either a back pocket or a forward pocket and it becomes a difficult position to win every opponent Dib plays on is taller than him. There’s always modern day exceptions like Daniel and B Harvey but they were absolute elite talents in all areas, Dib isnt.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:15 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
There’s always modern day exceptions like Daniel and B Harvey but they were absolute elite talents in all areas, Dib isnt.

Is this based on your opinion or is it evident from watching him play?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:16 pm

Lazza wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
There’s always modern day exceptions like Daniel and B Harvey but they were absolute elite talents in all areas, Dib isnt.

My opinion is he’s an ok player but the fact is there are dozens more just like him, only taller. So the common sense of a recruiting team is to pick the taller options first ( and at only 174cm, that’s not a difficult task )
You only have to review the last ten or so drafts to see they haven’t been kind to players under 175cm. Those that are picked, have the skills and attributes of a top ten pick but inevitably get pushed back in the order because of their height. If you’re not going to win a contest in the air, you need to be close to elite in nearly everything else you do. Unfortunately for Dib, no matter how hard he trains or applies himself, he can’t train harder to improve his height.
Black & White Blood 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:06 am

Who cares he won't win us a premiership
themonk 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:43 am

If we committed then someone would make us pay.

I'm sure that if he's still available late then we would consider.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:33 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

My opinion is he’s an ok player but the fact is there are dozens more just like him, only taller. So the common sense of a recruiting team is to pick the taller options first ( and at only 174cm, that’s not a difficult task )
You only have to review the last ten or so drafts to see they haven’t been kind to players under 175cm. Those that are picked, have the skills and attributes of a top ten pick but inevitably get pushed back in the order because of their height. If you’re not going to win a contest in the air, you need to be close to elite in nearly everything else you do. Unfortunately for Dib, no matter how hard he trains or applies himself, he can’t train harder to improve his height.

Didn’t answer one of the questions. I’ll ask again, have you seen him play?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:48 pm

I've seen him play in the VFL and I expect Pies2016 has also. He was alright - but just alright. I saw no reason why you would commit to him in advance, as distinct from waiting to see who is available when your pick comes around. It might well be that Collingwood will recruit him but by committing in advance, you lose the opportunity to do something different with your pick on the night if an opportunity presents itself.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:16 am

dalyc wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Didn’t answer one of the questions. I’ll ask again, have you seen him play?

Saw him play live first game of the 2021 season in U19s against Dragons and then a couple times in VFL via Kayo. Biggest crowd I had seen at an under age home and away game and I reckon most were there to see Daicos. As for Dib, considering he’s probably played no more than 7 / 8 games for points in the last two years, I have most likely seen more of him than most.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:09 am

The little I’ve seen of him he looks a very good player. Maybe it’s my own bias coming through as I tend to overrate our own players. The only sure thing you can say about him is that he’ll either get better as a player as he grows older, or get worse. Who wants to be a recruiter?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:19 am

VFL stats for Collingwood this year were, in summary, 4 games for a season total of 36 disposals, 6 marks, 16 tackles and 4.3.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
The little I’ve seen of him he looks a very good player. Maybe it’s my own bias coming through as I tend to overrate our own players. The only sure thing you can say about him is that he’ll either get better as a player as he grows older, or get worse. Who wants to be a recruiter?

It’s not that Dib can’t hold his own as an under age player, it’s that his height was always going to count against him. History shows there are very few under 175 cm players chosen in the draft and when they are, they are late picks. Dib doesn’t have the endurance or the 360 awareness for midfield, so he plays a position that requires competing against an immediate opponent every week. It’s not easy winning your position when you’re always starting behind the eight ball for height. If you’re a natural midfielder, you can get away with being a little shorter, providing you’re close to elite in most other categories.
People only really started talking about Dib when Twomey picked him in a couple teams of the month but Cal ( whether right or wrong ) doesn’t pick “ unavailable “ players and there were about three or four Vic U19 defenders who couldn’t be selected because they were all injured for most of the shortened season anyway ( modified Covid pre season was a catalyst for more than the usual number of soft tissue injuries to the Vic kids )
Yes, we may still pick him but T B H, I would be a little surprised if we did.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 am

I think alot of people saw Dibs name come up in one of Calum Twomeys Team of the month at some stage throughout the year, well I know I did. So using that as a reference point you would think he has some form and quality behind him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: