Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Your favourite Collingwood non-finals match which you attend

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:11 am
Post subject: Your favourite Collingwood non-finals match which you attendReply with quote

Mine was at Princes Park in 1969 against Caaarlton. The Blues had been premiers in 1968 and we'd missed the finals. No one gave us a chance but we were coming. The first half was notable for Syd Jackson's great play and for a chap called John Greening who had 5 goals by half time. We trailed by a couple of goals and a win didn't seem likely. Then the team went nuts and kicked 12 goals in the third quarter. My mate and I were sitting in the Carlton stand and we went bananas whereas the rest of the stand sat in disbelief and silence.

More heartache was on the way for us Collingwood supporters in the next year or so but that match was unforgettable.I wonder if it's available.
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

2002 Vs Brisbane @ Docklands

The joint was full and rocking!! Shook like an earthquake had hit when the final siren sounded.

Big party afterwards in the Lockeroom, then to the Star Bar.

Huge night
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:32 am

That 1969 Carlton v Collingwood game also

But as 12 year old in 1953 with family and friends caught the train to Geelong
for Pies v Cats

Geelong had at this stage had not been defeated in 23 games (won all h&a plus 2 finals in 1952)

We ended up beating them and the train home full of Magpie fans sang Good Old Collingwood Forever virtuality all way back to Spenser St—I was hoarse all Sunday

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:28 pm

The ANZAC day draw against the Dons. Best game I ever saw.
Macattacks Libra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:32 pm

Carmanwood vs St Kilda

https://youtu.be/5hUjzCP6NO4

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:03 pm

Daicos kicking a lazy 13 against the bears in 1979. Awesomeness 😝
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:47 pm

Way back in the Hafey era we went to watch Pies play Dogs at Western Oval

We stood next to a Doggie supporter who spent the game drinking cans from a cheap foam box

With 30 seconds to go and a few points down Max Richardson came streaming out the centre bounce and after a run bombed a long goal to win the game

The Doggie fan went beserk Stomped on the foam box till their were no pieces bigger than a 50 cent piece

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:04 pm

The day the brawl erupted between the Pies and Bombers cheersquads at Vic Park, leading to ripped banners and floggers set on fire. It was 1971 or 72 if memory serves me right? There must have been close to 40,000 people crammed into the 27,000 capacity ground, with people sitting on the roof of our southern stand, with their feet dangling over the edge!

I'm pretty sure it was the same game that Peter McKenna ran amok in the 3rd quarter kicking 7 goals and 13 for the game, giving us a glorious victory. Those were the days of true tribalism and football passion.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:13 pm

Rude Boy your correct with tribalism 😀

It was Feb and with mates watching an ODI between West Indies and Australia & in my shout a Hawk ,a Swan and a Tiger supporter but all geeing for Oz

We belted Windies and one mate said “Fella,s next months things will change
We all become tribal”

Too true

Macattacks Libra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:56 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The day the brawl erupted between the Pies and Bombers cheersquads at Vic Park, leading to ripped banners and floggers set on fire. It was 1971 or 72 if memory serves me right? There must have been close to 40,000 people crammed into the 27,000 capacity ground, with people sitting on the roof of our southern stand, with their feet dangling over the edge!

I'm pretty sure it was the same game that Peter McKenna ran amok in the 3rd quarter kicking 7 goals and 13 for the game, giving us a glorious victory. Those were the days of true tribalism and football passion.

Complete chaos, those days were magical, the colour, the streamers, the cut up paper, the err fires, it's all a bit sterile these days in comparison

Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:19 pm

It's difficult to pick the favorite from more than 50 years of watching the great Collingwood games so instead I've listed below some of my most memorable games that I attended;
1. 1977 - Collingwood vs Hawthorn at Princes Park. Ricky Barham kicked 5 goals from the wing in his debut game. He was dynamic and we went home from that game knowing we had a new champion. Pity his career was cruelled by doggy hamstrings.

2. 1984 - Collingwood vs Melbourne at Vic Park. Collingwood mount a massive comeback from well behind at 3/4 time to over run the Dees in the last quarter. Peter Daicos slotted a 60 meter torp to send the crowd wild.

3. 2012 - Collingwood vs Essendon on Anzac Day. Jarrod Blair soccers the ball through for a match winning goal in the last minutes of the game.

4. 2014 - Collingwood vs Essendon on Anzac Day. Dane Swan's goal of the year from the boundary on his left foot.

5. 2016 - Colllingwood vs Richmond at MCG. After trailing the Tigers all night, Brody Grundy snaps a goal to put the Pies in front with seconds left after Darcy Moore centred his kick from the boundary after the ump paid a deliberate out of bounds. That was as loud as I have heard the Magpie Army roar at the MCG and everyone sung the song about 5 times when the siren went.

Lots of others that got the blood flowing but these were some of the great memories for me.

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:23 pm

Delete
Stinga 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:14 pm

Macattacks wrote:
Carmanwood vs St Kilda

https://youtu.be/5hUjzCP6NO4

As a kid, this one, Fab Phil 11 goals to sink the Saints, we sat in the Saints' members using friends tickets coz they couldn't go. We were 4 goals down at 3/4 time and banged on 11 goals in the last quarter. We went nuts in the stand barracking so loud which made some of our neighbours cry! "What are they doing in here?" we overheard them sobbing!!

As an adult, 1988 Round 16 Pies v Cheats, the day of the train strike, an arm wrestle between the reigning premiers (The Cheats) and the up and coming young Pies. Daics a star, Browny inspirational, then Starcer goes nuts with 3 in 3 minutes to shove it up SOS and those @#$#@$;s! What a win!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:27 pm

Collingwood vs Adelaide Round 9 2011 would go close. A pedestrian effort under the roof for 3 quarters, down 20-30 all game…then BANG! That final quarter, including a Krakauer MOTY (missed the goal), Leon Davis hanger in the centre square, Dale Thomas barrel from 55m, and 11 goals in 20 minutes to not only steal the game, but turn a certain loss into a percentage booster. The most ridiculous quarter of football I’ve ever seen live. Th type of game that made you believe that squad could simply flip the switch and win from anywhere. That team deserved to go back to back and cement themselves as an all time great. But this is Collingwood, and shit ain’t ever sweet like that.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:55 am

Princes Park 9 June, 1979. Not the result I would have preferred but a day I'll always remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v8V1_xVSd8&ab_channel=KeyserSoze3

Pretty sure it was the first ever appearance of the short-lived 'Bluebirds' as well.

I was 11 years old and got into my first fight at the footy.... good times!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: