Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rendell Tips Pies For “Quick Rebound"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:14 pm
Post subject: Rendell Tips Pies For “Quick Rebound"Reply with quote

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/09/27/rendell-tips-pies-for-quick-rebound-suggests-key-positional-changes/

Former AFL recruiter Matt Rendell has suggested numerous on-field positional changes for Collingwood players, while also tipping the club for a quick rebound to the top eight.

The Pies missed the finals for the first time in three years in 2020, their poor form to start the season culminating in the sacking of coach Nathan Buckley.

It followed a tough AFL trade period for the club last year, after they offloaded numerous stars including Adam Treloar due to salary cap issues.

However, the appointment of new coach Craig McRae has been widely lauded by the AFL community and the Pies have some hope for next season with the emergence of several talented kids.

Rendell believes McRae should consider numerous moves in his first year at the helm, starting with key backman Darcy Moore.

“Their forward line was going to look light, but this is a big change, I’m playing Moore as a key forward,” he told AFL Trade Radio’s The Late Trade.

“I’m playing him in the ruck with (Brodie) Grundy, that’s a one-two punch that not many clubs can get close to.

“If he played in the ruck permanently, I think he’d win the Brownlow Medal. I don’t think anyone can keep up with him, and he’d take marks and kick goals. But (they’ve) got Grundy there.”

The veteran recruiter also threw up potential changes for defender Jack Crisp and midfielder Taylor Adams.

“In the midfield, I’m going to put (Jack) Crisp. Take him out of defence, he did play a bit of midfield, and put him in with (Jordan) De Goey,” Rendell said.

“(Scott) Pendlebury doesn’t need to be there anymore, but that gives you real dash in there, Crisp and De Goey.”

“Here’s the other change, I’m playing (Taylor) Adams more as a forward. He butchers the ball too much through the middle of the ground, but what he can do is apply a massive amount of pressure in the forward line.

“He makes a few too many errors for my liking with ball in hand, but they’ve got some really good depth.

With these changes and the youth on their list, Rendell is predicting the Pies will quickly become a finals side again.

“(They have) great depth, I reckon they’ve got out of jail a little bit with the players they’ve picked last year and a few the year before,” he said.

“I think this is a really quick rebound. I’m going to pick them to make the eight next year, I think the way they play is going to be really quick.”

The Pies have recently secured Brendon Bolton and Justin Leppitsch to add experience to McRae’s coaching panel.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Crisp played almost the entire season in the midfield. Thanks for your expert comments Matt Rolling Eyes
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:20 pm

Quote:

“If he played in the ruck permanently, I think he’d win the Brownlow Medal. I don’t think anyone can keep up with him, and he’d take marks and kick goals. But (they’ve) got Grundy there.”

Imagine what'd happen if they played Moore in the ruck and he got seriously injured. Shocked
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 pm

I think he’s confusing Darcy with Peter!

Seriously speaking though, I agree that we’ll bounce back quickly, and I also agree Adams is a butcher and might be better suited forward.

Crisp played midfield this year, and I agree with that.

Moore into the ruck wouldn’t be such a bad idea…. We can’t not play someone in a position because we’re scared he’ll get injured!

He’d make a handy ruck. He’s a better mark than Grundy that’s for sure.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:28 pm

K wrote:
Quote:

Imagine what'd happen if they played Moore in the ruck and he got seriously injured. Shocked

Exactly.
Rendell is a flog.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:35 pm

Rendell said that players would have likely had some influence over the McRae signing due to his player development credentials while they were under his tutelage. Rendell mentioned the likes of Daicos and the Brown Bros. as players who would have had some voice in McRae’s appointment due to their time with him. I repeat, McRae was there from 2011-2015. Daicos and Brown were drafted in 2016.

He’s an imbecile.

Macattacks Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Taylor Adams to the back pocket as that nuggety lockdown player maybe, but forward? he has zero forward craft
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 pm

You want Adams with the ball in hand in D50???

God no. Safer to hide him a forward pocket tackling and chasing and flukinrg the occasional goal.

Last edited by Raw Hammer on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Put an injury prone, with dodgy knees, into the ruck? Wouldn’t be my first move.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:50 pm

His point on Adams is totally valid. It’s almost like he’s trying to find a spot to hide him. I still think Adams was hampered by a knee injury that impacted the second half of his season but if he doesn’t lift his disposal efficiency in 2022, then the likes of McRae, 2 x Daicos, Degoey, Crisp, McInnes and others will have passed him by anyway.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:45 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
I think he’s confusing Darcy with Peter!

Seriously speaking though, I agree that we’ll bounce back quickly, and I also agree Adams is a butcher and might be better suited forward.

Crisp played midfield this year, and I agree with that.

Moore into the ruck wouldn’t be such a bad idea…. We can’t not play someone in a position because we’re scared he’ll get injured!

He’d make a handy ruck. He’s a better mark than Grundy that’s for sure.

Moore had some ruck rotations when he first started and was playing forward. I think he'd be really good in that KPF/2nd ruck role if given a prolonged opportunity. Issue for us is that he's already an AA quality KPD, it's where we need him the most, and we don't really have anyone to take that spot should he move.

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:51 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Rendell said that players would have likely had some influence over the McRae signing due to his player development credentials while they were under his tutelage. Rendell mentioned the likes of Daicos and the Brown Bros. as players who would have had some voice in McRae’s appointment due to their time with him. I repeat, McRae was there from 2011-2015. Daicos and Brown were drafted in 2016.

He’s an imbecile.

The father-son prospects have an ongoing association with the club prior to being drafted so not beyond the realms that personnel from prior to there draft years could have had an impact.

Last edited by jackcass on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 pm

He has a couple of good points.
We do need to move away from the Adams/Pendlebury/Grundy combination in the middle. It’s tired and becoming less and less effective compared to 3-4 years ago.
I like the idea of JDG, Crisp and T Brown being the main centre square group with McCrae/ Daicos x 2 and Maynard as alternatives.
When you finish 17th you have to be bold and daring otherwise you will more often than not have the same results.

Macattacks Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:57 pm

There's no quick fix without finding a few stars in the 22 to 24 year range, we cannot get to 2023 and only have Josh Daicos, Callum Brown and Noble in the 24 to 26 year range, that's suicide, Moore Grundy De Goey Maynard will all be past their best before our under 22's (N Daicos Henry Macrea McInnes McMahon Poulter etc) take over
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:07 pm

Hs hate for Bux still strong. Tosser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: