Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buying a new phone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:40 pm
Post subject: Buying a new phoneReply with quote

What a butt pain in the clacker.

The youngsters today are obsessed with having the newest phone on the market. My current phone replaced one that was damaged at work. That was in 2019. I'm sick of the photos coming up shite, so I've gone for an upgrade.

I picked the phone I wanted. Then the guys at work threw in their opinion. So I thought Fk it, I'll go with them, they're the gadget gurus. Then my Mrs goes baserk because she wants me to stick with my original choice...

Cant go in store atm, but do you really want to talk to a sales person?

Apple, Samsung, Iphone, Galaxy, Android, this, that, that this...

How often should you upgrade your phone? What has changed so much in 3 years? Will I go through this every few years? Can I make hologram calls like what you see in Star Wars?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want to do with it. When I got my first iPhone my eldest who is a software engineer said iPhone are smart phones for dumb peoples, she hates Apple! Personally I love Apple, I love my iPad and my Apple Watch, I love the way they all just work together! I also know you pay a lot for the name. my youngest goes through them like no ones business, she needs a waterproof bombproof one, so does hubby! He cracked the screen very badly, didn’t get it fixed, we took the boat out and he insisted on bringing it in on his own, ended up swimming and so did the phone! So he got my old 6s. I had upgraded to the 8 because the battery was getting slow. And he cracked that one too! He has left a workman’s brick and a galaxy on the roof of his car, the galaxy lived, the brick got ran over by a dozen 18 wheelers! So I know a bit about getting a new phone! Last week he decided the battery ran out too quickly, can you get me a new one! I tend to go straight to big w online, it’s 5 min from home to pick up, and I get the cheapest they have! Got him the X-R for $599. Set it up last night, it’s pretty good! I love Apple but I won’t fork out for the latest.

So what do you want to do with it? The galaxy has an amazing camera, but I have 2 pro canon DSLRs! I don’t need mega memory as I don’t save many songs, I still like to buy cds!

iPhones are easy, you can get slightly older models relatively cheap. I never buy on a plan. Data transfer is so easy. For me that’s half the battle! I know a lot of people hate Apple, but I love it!

As for carriers, hubby is on Optus, very handy when you go overseas, $10 a day for endless calls and texts, I with Aldi, I actually have better coverage in Oz, because it’s actually Telstra! I inherited my dads iPad I got him last year, it’s better than mine, and $20 a month on Aldi it has mobile data!

Go Apple! My tech daughter says no, go anything but!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:37 am

+ 1

If you aren't tech savvy, go apple as everything works, and the phone always upgrades itself properly.

Also, as you buy through the App Store, there is no malicious crap there and you cant accidentally download stuff when browsing etc. Even when there is a vulnerability, Apple pushes out updates ASAP.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:12 am

Samsung for me, I hate Apple too.

I have a Note 9 that's 3 years old and working like new, I won't be getting a new one any time soon.

It really depends on what you want to do. First choice is basically operating system, between Apple and Android.

If you go Android, lots of choice of handsets with different features and price ranges.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:43 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with Apple.

Earlier in the year I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro Max, after having an iPhone 7 so it was 4 years between changing phones.

The main reason for upgrading was the battery on the old phone wasn't charging properly and the phone was slowing down rapidly, plus I was having trouble scanning QR codes with the phone.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Unfortunately that’s Apples deliberate tactics to make you upgrade. As soon as they remove a phone they make them unusable. My sister and I bought our phones a year apart and yet both started having the exact same problems at the same time.

I was very anti Apple but when someone gave me their old phone cheap, I haven’t looked back. It’d hard to change once you’re used to the way it operates it’s hard to change, especially when it’s so easy to get a new phone and everything can so easily transfer.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Work gave me an iPhone, I hate it. I only use it if someone calls me on it otherwise it sits on the desk on charge.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:55 am

Jezza wrote:
I have a love-hate relationship with Apple.

Earlier in the year I upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro Max, after having an iPhone 7 so it was 4 years between changing phones.

The main reason for upgrading was the battery on the old phone wasn't charging properly and the phone was slowing down rapidly, plus I was having trouble scanning QR codes with the phone.

Not sure what the hate part of this relationship is.

If you are complaining about the battery after 4 years - welcome to Lithium ion technology. You could have got a new batty installed for $79.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:58 pm

If you don't own a personal computer, tablet or are constantly away from home/office and running a business then perhaps you might need a phone with all the bells and whistles. Even then.

For most people though the only ever use their phone for basic tasks like call, text, internet browsing, simple gaming and photography.

For that an entry level smartphone like my Samsung galaxy A12 will more than suffice and you're simply wasting money buying anything more.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:41 pm

These days a smart phone is almost an essential item. I use mine for
Calls, txts, messages, emails, video calls
QR code checkin
Border pass
Boarding pass on plane
Exercise tracker, GPS walk app
Covid Vaccination Passport
Music player
Camera
Social media
Radio
Map (WTF am I)
Writing shopping lists and other info I need like measurements (my Note comes with a stylus pen, I can hand write on screen and save it)
Wallet, use Google pay to pay via EFTPOS
Rewards cards
Meditation coach
Store e prescriptions
Banking
WIFI Hotspot

Probably others I can't remember right now. In NSW you can even store digital licences for Id

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: