Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The police and the CFMEU

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Dunno, Andrews doesn't seem that happy about it:

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/daniel-andrews-slams-tradies-as-protests-heat-up/news-story/955d0f06f3e0115bc2a7252e98094193

I do suspect police have been treating these scheduled anti-lockdown protests as double-underlined major events with neon flashing lights on their calendars, and that that explains some of the over-policing and heavy-handedness we've seen (as a case in point, a story like this wouldn't have been out of place at the BLM protests in the US last year: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/age-photographer-capsicum-sprayed-by-police-during-protest-20210919-p58sx7.html). So it's entirely likely that this intra-CFMEU protest flew under the radar and that the differing response had nothing to do with Andrews not wanting to upset the tradies, or whatever.

But news is only just coming in about this now, so it will be interesting to compare numbers, etc.

(More detailed article here, for people who have the keys to the Herald Sun paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/coronavirus/construction-workers-antivaccine-protest-turns-violent-at-cfmeu-melbourne/news-story/8c2d4005727045592a3a12ff5f1a7d7c)

my sister is in the control room right now, they are trying their dardest to control things as much as possible, and yes they plan early and hard - you should hear what goes into a match day preperation to keep us footy goers safe, and that precovid - but how do you plan against what these $Ł$%^%%$ thugs are doing? these are not peaceful protests, its thuggery.
its about time they got the rubber bullets out, now turn a $Ł$%^%%$ fire hose on them.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:27 pm

So the official line coming from the ACTU now is that this was a right-wing extremist protest and that only a small percentage were actually CFMEU members. I’m a little sceptical, to be honest – reminds me of the Trump camp damage control line about the Capitol protesters actually being Antifa types in disguise. We know that there are builders who are angry at the government at the moment over the mandatory vaccination policy; maybe some right-wing opportunists caught wind of it and joined in, but that doesn’t mean that the ALP-aligned union leadership can wash their hands of this and pretend that there aren’t divisions in their ranks.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 pm

David wrote:
So the official line coming from the ACTU now is that this was a right-wing extremist protest and that only a small percentage were actually CFMEU members. I’m a little sceptical, to be honest – reminds me of the Trump camp damage control line about the Capitol protesters actually being Antifa types in disguise. We know that there are builders who are angry at the government at the moment over the mandatory vaccination policy; maybe some right-wing opportunists caught wind of it and joined in, but that doesn’t mean that the ALP-aligned union leadership can wash their hands of this and pretend that there aren’t divisions in their ranks.

Exactly, plenty of blokes wearing CFMEU gear in there, especially in the early days. It was only when it grew and Setka got on the radio to blame extremists who aren't a part of the union that the cops finally showed up...
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:34 pm

Jezza wrote:
The chickens are coming home to roost for Setka and the CFMEU.

Years of employing militant tactics is coming back to bite them hard now.

Did laugh at Setka attacking his members for doing exactly what the Union culture has taught them. Didn't like it when they used those same tactics against him.

A bit like training up dogs to fight then them attacking you instead!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:37 pm
Post subject: Re: The police and the CFMEUReply with quote

think positive wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
<Split from the Coronavirus 4 - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull thread. BBMods >

Protests and fights breaking out in the city, no cops to break it up. Oh that’s right, it’s just the Union so they can do as they please. I’m guessing the recruits who graduated on Friday can’t shove CFMEU members to the ground as easily as old ladies so they’ll leave them be.

1 rule for the Andrew’s government’s supporters, another for the rest.

you really have no idea, god help anyone having to rely on you to keep them safe.

I guess I have no problem protecting everyone the same, but I guess given you'd like people who don't get vaccinated to not get hospital treatment it's no surprise you also support VicPol enforcing the rules differently for different people...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:40 am

No I absolutely do not support Vicpol protecting some people more than they protect others, I don’t have to because they don’t. But what You won’t see Is that not all people are in equal in their behaviour. When you are massively out numbered as the cops often are and an angry mob comes at you, then an actual genuine protester will no doubt get hurt. That’s on the mob not the cops. They are human beings not supermen. Are there bad cops , you betcha, but there is a hell of a lot more bad citizens out there than their are bad cops.

And in saying that given your stance I hope you won’t call the cops if you ever need help, call your thug mates instead!

My sister is vicpol, we are a week away from finishing a construction project, so I have 2 reasons to be pissed at those fuckheads. 3, one off them kicked a dog!

David your too young to remember what unions once were. My other sister had to deal with the wharfie union when Patrick stevedores went on strike, she was threatened in the car park by wharfies, she’s a 5 foot 4 accountant, big hiulking brainlessgutlesswharfies, it was so bad they were taken by ferry to work for a while. My crazy ex took me and a few of the garage animals to Norm Gallagher s Christmas party one year, it was like a hell’s angels convention! I was about 23 and it scared the shutout of me, I even sat on the great toads lap to get a Christmas present! Nota place to say no in! Union thuggery goes back a long long way.

Thisis getting way out of hand but it was always going to happen. Because the human beast is a selfish bastard far to often.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:15 am

Setka talking now, great speech. Everyone should watch it.

Last edited by think positive on Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:19 am

So what's the deal with the two-week construction ban? Is it some kind of punishment for these protests, or are they citing pragmatic reasons? Because if it's the first that would be a weirdly vindictive response and likely to only inflame tensions further.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:27 am

Primarily the 2nd. 2 weeks to get their sh*t together.
Increasing number of construction sites being listed as exposure sites and/or not following COVID safe plans.

Pity this will impact smaller sub contractors on building sites.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:41 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
Primarily the 2nd. 2 weeks to get their sh*t together.
Increasing number of construction sites being listed as exposure sites and/or not following COVID safe plans.

Pity this will impact smaller sub contractors on building sites.

this

picture 1300 men on a site not wearing masks (i have to say it would be challenging in some of those really full on manual tasks) no sanitiser, then they all stop for lunch together, no social distancing. then they all take off to all corners of melbourne.

and just when the union are actually trying to come up with a plan, the members have a protest, and a bunch of pro thugs join in, so they have no choice but to call time until it gets sorted. hopefully common sense jumps in and it gets sorted within days.

as for compulsory jabs, listen to what the union boss said. he says yes the gov stuffed up and scared people, but go to your gp and talk to them about your own personal case, the union will make sure you dont go without pay because you do that. what more can they do?

choice? you have choice, get the jab or dont work, thats still a choice even if you dont like the options - with the disclaimer that if for some MEDICAL reason you cant have it, then you should be exempt, otherwise it has to be one in all in,

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:01 pm

Can't say that forcing people to vaccinate sits well with me.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:11 pm

no me either, so lets wind back the clock to november 2019 year, and force china to tell the $Ł$%^%%$ truth so we are better prepared.
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:19 pm

I'd be happy with our leaders taking appropriate measures to keep the virus out.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:04 pm

Apparently 50% of worksites that were inspected weren't compliant, so that's the justification. Give them 2 weeks off to get their shit together and make sure everyone gets a a shot or at least has an appointment before they can re-open.

The question that comes to my mind though is why were the uncompliant sites allowed to stay open at the time? Surely they should have been told the inspectors would be back in 48 hours, if shit wasn't fixed they'd be shut down

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:05 pm

roar wrote:
Can't say that forcing people to vaccinate sits well with me.

It's not a matter of "personal choice" - not getting vaccinated means killing other people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: