Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who can be a Pies Champion?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quincy wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
I remember sitting in the stands watching Pendles first game. The way he moved, where he positioned himself and how he used the ball with limited possessions. Said then he looked exceptional.

Finlay Macrae reminds me so much of watching Pendles back then

Poulter, McCreery, Henry - look like they could be anything also but Finlay for me looks like he could be an absolute steel.

We hope so.

Pendles has been a great player but is not a matchwinner in my book compared with the great midfielders going around today.

Short memory - I mean apart from his Norm smith and 3x Anzacs there were many games he was the match winner

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:27 am

^ Pendles hasn't received a single Brownlow vote so far in 2021. He got 13 the previous year - that change just highlights how he's dropped away in the last year. Wink
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:43 am

^ Laughing Laughing
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:55 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Pendles hasn't received a single Brownlow vote so far in 2021. He got 13 the previous year - that change just highlights how he's dropped away in the last year. Wink

WTF? Are you an umpire? I dare you to provide evidence for the nonsense you talk about. You wouldn’t have a bloody clue just like the rest of us plebs🙄

5:11pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:37 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Definitely closer to the end, than the beginning, of an illustrious playing career.
In a perfect world - one in which we actually have a midfield - where should the champ play over the next 1-2 seasons?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:59 pm

I think a half back flank may allow us to get 40-50 good games out of him. Assured ball skills and vision would undoubtedly help our ball transition more than Sanderson's coaching did.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:04 pm

Lazza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

WTF? Are you an umpire? I dare you to provide evidence for the nonsense you talk about. You wouldn’t have a bloody clue just like the rest of us plebs🙄

Sarcasm... as indicated by the wink at the end. Like saying Collingwood haven't lost a final all year

Quincy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:09 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Quincy wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
I remember sitting in the stands watching Pendles first game. The way he moved, where he positioned himself and how he used the ball with limited possessions. Said then he looked exceptional.

Finlay Macrae reminds me so much of watching Pendles back then

Poulter, McCreery, Henry - look like they could be anything also but Finlay for me looks like he could be an absolute steel.

We hope so.

Pendles has been a great player but is not a matchwinner in my book compared with the great midfielders going around today.

I was talking primarily about his current form but would still say that he is not as influential as players like the Bont, Fyfe, Petracca and Dangerfield, and of course Martin who can dominate in the midfield and then go and kick goals.

Short memory - I mean apart from his Norm smith and 3x Anzacs there were many games he was the match winner
5:11pm 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:40 pm

inxs88 wrote:
I think a half back flank may allow us to get 40-50 good games out of him. Assured ball skills and vision would undoubtedly help our ball transition more than Sanderson's coaching did.

Ha, agreed.

May well allow Maynard to start playing some serious midfield minutes as well.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:14 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Sarcasm... as indicated by the wink at the end. Like saying Collingwood haven't lost a final all year

Apologies 😚🥴

My humour bypass is humouring me🙄

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:11 am

I really like the development of IQ. I think he has the ability to become an AA backman in future years.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:24 am

I’m saying McCreery as the emerging best defensive forward in the game
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:19 am

inxs88 wrote:
mattdally wrote:
I'll add to the list - these guys were champions:
- Scott Burns
- Alan Didak
- Heath Shaw
- Nick Maxwell

Loved them all but they all weren't bona fide game changers or match winners. Top top players though. three of the above were rebounding defenders, enough said.

Agree with some, but Scott Burns was a champion footballer.
He was tough, gutsy, skilled and led the team well. 2 more mins and we win the 2007 prelim then who knows.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 am

mattdally wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
mattdally wrote:
I'll add to the list - these guys were champions:
- Scott Burns
- Alan Didak
- Heath Shaw
- Nick Maxwell

Loved them all but they all weren't bona fide game changers or match winners. Top top players though. three of the above were rebounding defenders, enough said.

Agree with some, but Scott Burns was a champion footballer.
He was tough, gutsy, skilled and led the team well. 2 more mins and we win the 2007 prelim then who knows.

Finally a great thread from you INXS and i think you have hit on exactly the problem we are facing.

First, Scott Burns was easily as good as half of the Geelong players you mentioned. He was close to Buckley for most of his career and is easily on any list of studs. no debate needed.

Didak was at least as good as Stevie J as well. i think the responses prove that case too.

Anyway, these quibbles don't change the perfect merit of the thread and i have been complaining about this portion of our rebuild.

I am nearly 100% sure that Grundy, Moore, DeGoey and MAynard are exactly the type of four players you build a champoin team around. I am nearly certain that not one of the players we have brought in during the last 24 months are those type of players. maybe the young Daicos can be that person, and maybe IQ can be that player, but i fear that is it.

And before you say they are too young and its too soon to judge, i want to remind you that my name "E" is short for Elite. In 2009 and early 2010, while arguing on this site and another site that our kids were actually elite enough to win a flag (when others said we didn't have enough elite players), i changed my name to elite and then e for short! It was plain as day from the start how good Pendles, Thomas, Sidey, Beams, Swan, Shaw, et al were.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:51 am

^ ^ ^
Three of those premiership players were top 10 picks and one was F / S, just as Moore, Degoey and Grundy were all first rounders ( two inside top 10 )

When youve have just come off three successive years of playing finals, gaining top 10 picks isn’t easy without giving something up. And in our self induced situation, we couldn’t even secure top ten picks when we did give something up.
Whether right or wrong, our highest pick in the last two drafts has been Henry at # 17 when we entered the 2020 draft at the very end of the first round. We also entered the 2019 draft in the middle of the second round with Rantall, so expectations should remain modest. And in reality, you have even less chance of finding a 10 year KPD with those selections.

The only benefit that comes with lowly ladder finishes over the next couple seasons is that we can at least choose to set ourselves up for the pick of the litter( s ) until our win / loss ledger dictates otherwise.
Who knows, it might yet be the 2021 ( add in Aiden Begg ) and 2022 drafts that sets up our next flag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: