Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lose to Lions. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

After a promising start in the penultimate game of Collingwood's season, the Magpies were completely obliterated by the Brisbane Lions to the tune of 85 points (second-highest losing margin against the Brisbane Lions in VFL/AFL history). Brisbane were able to take plenty of marks inside 50 and on the rarest of nights were able to convert the vast majority of their set shots which definitively decided the contest. Kicking extremely accurately in front of goal enabled the Lions to win by the margin that they won by, which prevented Collingwood from hanging in the contest the longer the game had progressed. The Woods had no response to the onslaught of majors from their opponents that culminated any prospects of victory that there may have been on a filthy night and visit in Brisbane.

Collingwood won their statistical categories from handballs by +9 (164 - 155), uncontested possessions had a margin of +6 (230 - 224), while there was a differential of +16 for hit-outs (53 - 37), with centre clearances up narrowly by +1 (16 - 15, uncontested marks had a margin of +4 (76 - 72) and Tackles Inside 50 were won by +1 (12 - 11). The Lions won the remaining categories from disposals by +2 (375 - 373), +11 for kicks (220 - 209), while contested possessions had a margin of +3 (141 - 138), and intercept possessions were up by +5 (66 - 61). Clearances had a gap of +2 (43 - 41) with stoppage clearances won by +3 (28 - 25), Contested Marks had an advantage of +4 (14 - 10) and Marks Inside 50 had a comprehensive margin of +15 ( 23 - 8 ). Tackles were won by +18 (65 - 47), while Inside 50s had a decisive reading of +28 (70 - 42).

Steele Sidebottom (29 disposals @ 69%, 444 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 22 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 15 handballs, 4 marks, 7 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 4 Inside 50s) stayed busy in the midfield by linking up teammates by hand or foot to keep the ball in motion, which allowed that level of skill to result in scores.

Jordan De Goey (27 disposals @ 74%, 318 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 13 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 6 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) had a lively start to the contest to give the Magpies an early spark, before that spark got extinguished by the Lions who were also able to diminish De Goey's influence and output over the remaining three quarters.

Taylor Adams (27 disposals @ 56%, 287 metres gained, 22 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 19 handballs, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 7 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) displayed his main strength in winning the contested ball at will, while also demonstrating skill errors when he had time and space to use it effectively. The fact that almost all of Adams' possessions were contested meant that he was under pressure to contribute to the team's ball movement.

Josh Daicos (22 disposals @ 64%, 335 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 16 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) made an earlier than expected return to AFL football, and struggled to adjust to the tempo and pressure that was placed on each of his possessions. Daicos was wearing a guard on his hand to protect the finger he injured 6 weeks ago.

Brodie Grundy (15 disposals @ 80%, 136 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 37 hit-outs, 4 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) may have had an exceptional number of hit-outs, but not many of them resulted in goals. Grundy was not able to take any marks which hindered his true influence on the contest, while tackling and clearance numbers were well below par for a player of his stature and standards.

Jack Crisp (30 disposals @ 77%, 427 metres gained, 16 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 10 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 16 handballs, 7 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 7 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) began the game in defence before being moved into the midfield for the second half. Crisp made plenty of skill errors like the rest of his teammates out there, but did not let that define his night as he attempted to give the Woods meaningful progress off half-back and from clearances when he was assigned to the midfield to give his team an option.

Chris Mayne (23 disposals @ 83%, 211 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 9 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) gave Collingwood stability behind the ball when he was available to take marks before kicking to a loose teammate when it was on, while also releasing handpasses to a teammate to escape converging pressure.

Brayden Maynard (18 disposals @ 78%, 344 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 9 Rebound 50s) spent a lot of time defending ball movement where he got exposed by Charlie Cameron. The bulk of Maynard's possessions were generally kicked to a contest from half-back or the last line of defence where not many players for Collingwood won their aerial contests on the night.

Jack Madgen (17 disposals @ 88%, 178 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 8 handballs, 7 marks & 3 Rebound 50s) judged his marks well behind the ball in defence and maintained possession effectively without turning the ball over.

Jordan Roughead (15 disposals @ 80%, 273 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks & 4 Rebound 50s) took regular marks and made an effort to kick the ball long to a contest or to a loose player across goal to switch it over to open space which rarely occurred. Roughead had a rather rough night in attempting to curtail Joe Daniher who ran absolutely rampant.

Jamie Elliott (23 disposals @ 48%, 222 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50s) presented at the ball carrier when he could, before being moved into the middle to win his possessions. Lack of quality supply up forward meant that Elliott could not directly impact the game on what was a challenging night.

Darcy Cameron (12 disposals @83%, 104 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 16 hit-outs, 5 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 1 goal) made an effort to present up at the ball carrier as often as possible, but with limited success. Cameron had moderate success in the ruck whenever he gave Brodie Grundy a spell from competing in ruck contests at centre bounces or around the ground.

Josh Thomas (11 disposals @ 82%, 122 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 7 score involvements & 2 goals) kicked the opening goal in the opening seconds of the game before drifting out of the game. Thomas stayed involved in scoring chains before ending his night with a consolation goal that saw him reach 100 AFL goals on a trying night.

Brody Mihocek (11 disposals @ 36%, 228 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) capped off his season by wasting his chances once again, before Mihocek got himself suspended for the last game of the season. Make 2022 a more accurate season when you return to the line-up, Brody!

Oliver Henry (10 disposals @ 80%, 131 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 marks, 4 score involvements & 1 goal) did all he could do across half-forward by leading up to present as an option up forward and capped off his game with another goal.

Jack Ginnivan (9 disposals @ 44%, 231 metres gained, 8 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 marks, 3 score involvements & 2 goals) had a rollicking first half with two excellent majors before supply up forward had dried up, rendering Ginnivan and his forward cohorts useless and inconsequential.

Collingwood's next game will be against Essendon on August 22 at the MCG. Last roll of the dice for the 2021 season. Make it count by ensuring that the Bombers bomb out in their quest for finals action, or make a contest out of it if victory cannot be achieved. Chris Mayne's last AFL game before he returns home to Perth, so let's send him out with an unlikely victory and take momentum into 2022.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:43 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
Rudeboy, agree on Adams, not polished enough. Agree on Daicos, lacks pace, so goes sideways rather than surge forward and put pressure on other side. As I said previously, I hope his brother is faster.

Adams is fast becoming the elephant in the room. In so many ways he is our heart and soul but in other ways, he totally wrong foots our transition whenever he uses the ball by foot. You simply can’t use the ball so badly so often and expect to not get burnt going the other way.
He’s never been great by foot but he has been worse than usual this year. He has been carrying a knee all season so I’m hoping it’s the lack of training that’s negatively impacting him more than usual.
I expect our starting midfield in two / three years time would look something like MacRae, N Daicos, a big bodied McInnes and DeGoey if he’s still with us ( I’m talking organic growth only )
The sooner we eliminate the excessive skill errors from our midfield, the sooner we give up a lot less cheap goals to the opposition.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:19 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Sadly, we still can't kick a decent score regardless of which strategy we use

That's true - we are 3rd last in PF, ahead of only Norf and the Cold Goats

But look at our forward line: 2 part-time ruckmen, a guy who tries hard but should be 3rd tall behind two proper KPFs, a talented aerial small who misses 10 games a year due to injury and is closer to the end than the start, another small who is struggling to recapture his best form (although getting better lately), and a bunch of kids who will need more time before they can deliver consistently

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:16 am

We were frustrated by Malthouse persisting with make shift ruckmen during the 2000's - Chris Bryan, Cam Cloke etc.

Buckley persisted with make shift key forwards for 10 years. I do wonder how much different the past two years could have been if we did get Jenkins from Adelaide.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:28 am

Pies2016 wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:
Rudeboy, agree on Adams, not polished enough. Agree on Daicos, lacks pace, so goes sideways rather than surge forward and put pressure on other side. As I said previously, I hope his brother is faster.

Adams is fast becoming the elephant in the room. In so many ways he is our heart and soul but in other ways, he totally wrong foots our transition whenever he uses the ball by foot. You simply can’t use the ball so badly so often and expect to not get burnt going the other way.
He’s never been great by foot but he has been worse than usual this year. He has been carrying a knee all season so I’m hoping it’s the lack of training that’s negatively impacting him more than usual.
I expect our starting midfield in two / three years time would look something like MacRae, N Daicos, a big bodied McInnes and DeGoey if he’s still with us ( I’m talking organic growth only )
The sooner we eliminate the excessive skill errors from our midfield, the sooner we give up a lot less cheap goals to the opposition.

Adams has taken his clanger record to new highs this season. He is averaging 6 per match - you can't survive that, week in and week out.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:34 am

Magpiefan3 wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
Checkers with early plea can accept a one match ban for rough play

Yet Dangerfield and Hawkins are cleared and free to play next week.

Seriously, you are implying some sort of conspiracy based on these incidents?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
gurugeoff wrote:

Adams has taken his clanger record to new highs this season. He is averaging 6 per match - you can't survive that, week in and week out.

You can if you’re as a good a player as Adams. You can survive it if you surround Adams with players who know how to kick. Every player presents a package and for a coach you adjust the game plan to minimize the errors of the players. Rather ironic that the two best players at the club in Adams and Crisp don’t know how to kick under pressure.

Last edited by MatthewBoydFanClub on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
aus50ford 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:57 am

Madgen's goalkeeper like save, shows there's a heap of passion in the guy.
Don't write him off yet

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:17 am

aus50ford wrote:
Don't write him off yet

Why is it when a player gets belted by his opponent we have to praise his passion? I’d prefer he had no passion at all and he beat his opponent.
aus50ford 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:24 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
aus50ford wrote:
Don't write him off yet

Why is it when a player gets belted by his opponent we have to praise his passion? I’d prefer he had no passion at all and he beat his opponent.

Skills can be taught
Passion comes from the heart ... that's something that can't be

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:06 am

gurugeoff wrote:
Adams is fast becoming the elephant in the room. In so many ways he is our heart and soul but in other ways, he totally wrong foots our transition whenever he uses the ball by foot.

Agree. I could accept this from a young player learning the ropes but find it more than frustrating that a player deemed to be a future leader consistently stuffs up. Really annoying and I can well understand why some supporters turn off the TV rather than subject themselves to more torture. Gone off him for good as a future captain and will now hope Moore is appointed. Totally over the persistent schoolboy errors made by Adams. Not good enough.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:22 pm
Post subject: Re: pies lose to lionsReply with quote

orie wrote:
I don't understand why people are laying the blame on Buckley for this teams poor disposal..
He was an elite player with the ball in hand.
I think this club has persisted with players who have never been great with their disposal , especially under pressure.
Some players like Crispy, whom I do love, are terrible below their knees and how often does he turn the ball over in our backline!

That's the paradox of the situation; led for 10 seasons by one of the most elite users of the ball by hand and foot we have seen in our lifetime, yet he could not implement any processes to produce a disposal standard anywhere near his.

Paul Licuria was a turnover king early, yet worked on his disposal and endurance until the wheel turned for him.
I expected the same from Adams, until I lost faith in him and the club to correct this flaw. Crispy much the same; but I do love their endeavour each week. Hoping a new coaching regime can improve them even a little.

orie wrote:
No One will probably read this. I am just not a happy Vegemite.. This is 2 years paid as a legends member and I am just so sad about what has happened to our club..

Orie, you are always a good honest read without hysterics, unlike select others here [*cough, splutter...]
You are one of our longest standing posters, and that counts for plenty around here, in my book.
And you put your money where your mouth is by purchasing such an unrewarding membership package, in a display of loyalty.

We are all sad; and rebuilds take much longer these days, compared to 15-20 years ago. We had deeper lists, less teams in the comp, thus a larger talent pool to draw from.
The utterly useless inclusions of GWS and GCS thanks to that stupid narcissistic fat greek, have effectively bastardised the standard of AFL in the process.
NOBODY wanted these clubs; compromised drafts filtered elite talent away from 16 other sides that would have filled critical gaps on their lists.

We are now at that 1999-2001 phase, with a much inferior spine, and another boardroom coupe/bloodbath looming.
All who contributed to this debacle are departing the club, as they should be.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:44 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
We were frustrated by Malthouse persisting with make shift ruckmen during the 2000's - Chris Bryan, Cam Cloke etc.

And the best of them all, “Cardboard Cutout” Steve McKee 🍋🥔 🐰🐑

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:59 pm
Post subject: Re: pies lose to lionsReply with quote

orie wrote:
All who contributed to this debacle are departing the club, as they should be.

Apt words :- Titanic, deck chairs, rats leaving, sinking ship, those leaving joining circuses, experts at making situations worse, ugly at politics, self interest above club interests, not able to spell integrity, terrible management, wrong choices, inability to face reality and be honest with supporters, destroying Collingwood’s attraction as a destination club for top notch players, playing big bucks to the wrong players, contributing to player dissent etc etc.

Many relevant sentences can be made using the above blend of apt words.🥲

hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:40 pm

[quote="aus50ford"][quote="MatthewBoydFanClub"][quote="aus50ford"]Madgen's goalkeeper like save, shows there's a heap of passion in the guy.
Don't write him off yet[/quote]
Why is it when a player gets belted by his opponent we have to praise his passion? I’d prefer he had no passion at all and he beat his opponent.[/quote]

Skills can be taught
Passion comes from the heart ... that's something that can't be[/quote]

Cameron kicked 5 on Maynard..Perhaps it was the ball constantly cming in made it hard for the defense
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13   

Jump to: