Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How Brownlow Medalist's shock trade to Collingwood unfolded

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:13 pm
Post subject: How Brownlow Medalist's shock trade to Collingwood unfoldedReply with quote

Quote:
Shane Woewodin’s trade from Melbourne to Collingwood was a major football story following the conclusion of the 2002 season......

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/08/how-brownlow-medallists-shock-trade-to-collingwood-unfolded/

I remember this well.

At the time I thought it was a massive win for the club, especially as we'd narrowly lost the 2002 GF and everyone was talking about the missing piece.

We traded pick 14 in 2002 draft which the Dees used on Daniel Bell.

Interesting when comparing this to the Treloar trade last year. If only we turned up in the '03 GF.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a great pick up, and seemed inspired until 2:29pm on GF day

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:42 pm

^ I actually recall him being a complete witch's hat on Anzac Day. I was terribly excited when we recruited him - I hadn't really watched Melbourne but you kind of expect that they won't give a Brownlow Medal to a bloke who can't really play. Oh, well....
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:46 pm

Played every game in 2003 and 2004, and missed 7 games in 2005.

Before you could blink, he was gone.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:53 pm

The only thing that recruiting him did was prevent Nathan from winning the Brownlow Medal on his own in 2003. Something about Woewodin's game attracted umpire attention - he got 3 Brownlow votes some days when he wasn't in our 5 best players.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 pm

^ ^ ^
I’m sure the Saints felt the same when they picked up Brian Wilson from the Dees too. Fast forward twenty five years and the guarantee of a decent player coming to a new club and still maintaining his form, continues to remain as an inexact science.
As a side note, Shane’s son is eligible under father son rules to be selected by the Demons but not Collingwood this year. Fear not, we haven’t missed out on much 😉
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:08 pm

^ Dodged a bullet, there. 62 games for us - and he managed more than 25 disposals on just 4 occasions and reached 30 just twice.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:50 am

Pies2016 wrote:
^ ^ ^
I’m sure the Saints felt the same when they picked up Brian Wilson from the Dees too. ...
As a side note, Shane’s son is eligible under father son rules to be selected by the Demons but not Collingwood this year. Fear not, we haven’t missed out on much 😉

I'm surprised no one has brought up Brad Hardie yet...
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:59 am

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
It was a great pick up, and seemed inspired until 2:29pm on GF day

Always thought he was a soft player for Melbourne who we didn’t need at Collingwood. As that’s the way it turned out it typifies many of the poor trades we did as a club which has cost us premierships.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:04 am

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
^ ^ ^
I’m sure the Saints felt the same when they picked up Brian Wilson from the Dees too. ...

Another ridiculous trade of a player we didn’t need at Collingwood. You can criticize the trading away of players last year but at least we didn’t trade into the club more Brad Hardies, although Gunston was a close call, who only didn’t come to Collingwood because his coach wouldn’t trade him. That would have been another disaster.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:07 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^ ^ ^
I’m sure the Saints felt the same when they picked up Brian Wilson from the Dees too. Fast forward twenty five years and the guarantee of a decent player coming to a new club and still maintaining his form, continues to remain as an inexact science.

Not if you read the Dees BB.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:18 pm

K wrote:

We got him for nothing at the end of 1991, as we were desperate to return to finals contention after sliding out of the final 6 that year.

It was worth the gamble; had fat guts Matthews player him earlier in 1992 season against Carlton, we'd have won the Centenary game, and finished on top for a week off going into semis.
Instead, we finished third, and totally exhausted holding off the rampant Crows the week prior, and lost to st.Rapist in EF.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: