Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lose to Hawks . All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

burnsy17 wrote:
Who cares!

We made (and almost won!!) a granny 3 seasons ago. The list needed an overhaul, now it’ll take a few years for the next crop to mature.

Luckily, we’ll have a new coach for these kids to growth with their coach. Everyone matures together and a new game plan becomes ingrained.

Yeah, we’ll probably be shit next year too…. But take the good with the bad!

That’s exactly the case. We played senior players for too long under Nathan Buckley thinking we were close to a premiership and it all imploded last year. Now we’re picking kids but it takes time time for their bodies to mature. No alternative but to keep playing the kids. I really felt that Mayne could have gone another year but now I’m comfortable with the decision he made. Thomas and Madgen have reached the end of their tenure at the club. They’re serviceable at best. So they are three to go out of the team next year and replaced by three more youngsters. If we stick to our plan of playing kids and stick with them through the good and the bad the team has a future and yesterday’s game was just a hiccup.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:25 am

Lazza wrote:
We need to be patient with these youngsters, something Nicksters are not very good at doing. I worry that our expectations of Nick Daicos having instant success is fraught with the danger of being unrealistic. We need to give him and the others time to develop into mature players contributing consistently. Let’s not talk times for the next flag, let’s talk times for us to establish the next team ready to compete for one. I think around 2025-27.

Nick Daicos would have been a regular in the team if he played with us this year. He’s a freak just like Chris Judd, Luke Hodge and Luke Ball. They are exceptions to the rule of your normal recruit.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:58 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Lazza wrote:
We need to be patient with these youngsters, something Nicksters are not very good at doing. I worry that our expectations of Nick Daicos having instant success is fraught with the danger of being unrealistic. We need to give him and the others time to develop into mature players contributing consistently. Let’s not talk times for the next flag, let’s talk times for us to establish the next team ready to compete for one. I think around 2025-27.

Nick Daicos would have been a regular in the team if he played with us this year. He’s a freak just like Chris Judd, Luke Hodge and Luke Ball. They are exceptions to the rule of your normal recruit.

I get all that and I believe you but I’m old enough to remember what happened to another first draft pick in Josh Fraser. We played him in the seniors far too early and paid the price with his young frame getting pummelled every week. Don’t want that to happen to young Daics. Maybe I’m on my own here but we need Nick for an entire career, not for a few seasons interrupted by constant injuries. We need planning to get the very best of him. If that means dropping him occasionally for a rest, so be it.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Lazza wrote:
Lazza wrote:

I get all that and I believe you but I’m old enough to remember what happened to another first draft pick in Josh Fraser. We played him in the seniors far too early and paid the price with his young frame getting pummelled every week. Don’t want that to happen to young Daics. Maybe I’m on my own here but we need Nick for an entire career, not for a few seasons interrupted by constant injuries. We need planning to get the very best of him. If that means dropping him occasionally for a rest, so be it.

The difference is ruck vs midfield, and the game is so much more uncontested these days.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:34 pm

The difference is also that Josh Fraser was played out of position. He should have been a CHF, but instead was thrown into the ruck, despite not having a strong frame necessary for that role.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:09 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The difference is also that Josh Fraser was played out of position. He should have been a CHF, but instead was thrown into the ruck, despite not having a strong frame necessary for that role.

The difference is Josh Fraser wasn't that good a ruckman. Darren Jolly was a better ruckman at half the price and as for McKee who we picked up at the same time as Fraser, another dumb trade. When you think, we passed up on Matthew Pavlich, that cost us the 2002 and 2003 premierships.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:37 pm

Fraser was ok... if he was a car.. he was a Sprite and we thrashed him like he was a rally car.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:43 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

The difference is Josh Fraser wasn't that good a ruckman. Darren Jolly was a better ruckman at half the price and as for McKee who we picked up at the same time as Fraser, another dumb trade. When you think, we passed up on Matthew Pavlich, that cost us the 2002 and 2003 premierships.

And that was all that f#cking imbecile Judkin's doing; I can't even ping that one on Hine...

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:00 pm

We got over 200 games off Josh and he played well in a Grand Final. He wanted to play ruck. Every team would have picked hhttps://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/quick_reply.gifim if they had first pick.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:55 pm

ronrat wrote:
We got over 200 games off Josh and he played well in a Grand Final. He wanted to play ruck. Every team would have picked hhttps://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/quick_reply.gifim if they had first pick.

Matthew Pavlich played 300 games for Freemantle and kicked something like 800 goals. I know which player I would have preferred. You could say Nathan Brown is a 2010 premiership Collingwood player and every club would have chosen him, but we picked him about seven places ahead of Jack Riewoldt who's still playing at Richmond.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:48 pm

Brown was pick 10, Riewoldt was 13. Ten other teams thought there was someone better than Jack as well as Collingwood

In the same draft, Josh Kennedy went at 40 and Hawkins at 41, Robbie Gray at 55

You can play we should have picked X instead of Y all day in hindsight. Just be glad we didn’t do what Hawks did and pick Mitch Thorp at 6, ahead of Joel Selwood. Played 2 games, delisted in 2009

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Brown was pick 10, Riewoldt was 13. Ten other teams thought there was someone better than Jack as well as Collingwood

You can play we should have picked X instead of Y all day in hindsight. Just be glad we didn’t do what Hawks did and pick Mitch Thorp at 6, ahead of Joel Selwood. Played 2 games, delisted in 2009

Totally agree but just a reminder that both Kennedy ( Hawks / Swans ) and Hawkins were both F / S selections, so no other club could touch them.
In a nut shell, you win some, you lose some. And it’s a lot easier to win more when you continue to finish at the bottom of the ladder.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:44 pm

Clearly we just need a time machine and all our problems will be solved
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:05 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

It's also important to accept that it was horses for courses at the time. We already had Cloke and we recruited our other premiership tall forward in the same draft as Brown. Also, we recruited Reid, with the intention that he would be a KPF. In fact, Collingwood recruited 6 premiership players in that year's drafts (Reid, Brown, Dawes, Goldsack, Wellingham and Macaffer) - and Brad Dick would have been a 7th if he'd had better luck with injuries. At some point, you just have to accept that the recruiters got things very right that year and just ignore what else they "could" have done if they'd had the benefit of hindsight.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:53 am

Fraser was a freak.
Look at some of his early games...amazing.
He came straight into the side and didn't play one game in the vfl.
Like with so many other players he got injured.
He got cleaned up one day a the MCG ...ironed out from a player who ran 50 metres at 45 degree angle with a shirt front.
Everybody thought he was number one in the draft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: