Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Grundy thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't know? Question

Maybe you're making it up then.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:33 am

Could say the same for you P4S given all you have to add is Grundy is the greatest ruckman ever and he is not responsible for anything that goes wrong.

Show us the last premiership team that needed a million dollar ruckman? Or even had a ruckman on the day who was a marquee player?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:34 am

K wrote:

I'm not the one who said "Grundy gave away a free kick at the centre bounce that followed. I didn't see what for." (my emphasis added)
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:01 am

What I'd like to know is when was the last time a team went the entire season without a ruckman and made the GF?

I doubt it's happened but I'm happy to be corrected on that assertion.

Grundy at his most damaging best is another clearance midfielder, we saw that in his AA seasons. I doubt any ruckman gets close to his numbers, and for that matter some of our dedicated midfielders too.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
K wrote:

I'm not the one who said "Grundy gave away a free kick at the centre bounce that followed. I didn't see what for." (my emphasis added)

Yes, it is my belief Grundy gave away the crucial free kick that ended Collingwood's GF Q4 run. Often, watching a game live, I can see who the free kick is against, but not what it is for. (But of course it's also possible to get things wrong when you watch in real time.)

If you have evidence that some other Collingwood player gave away that free kick, please give it to us. Show us the video footage that shows this teammate giving away the free, or the umpire saying who the free was against.

Otherwise, it looks like you are making it up. Why make up stuff? Question

Last edited by K on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:02 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
What I'd like to know is when was the last time a team went the entire season without a ruckman and made the GF?

I doubt it's happened but I'm happy to be corrected on that assertion.

Anthony, what do you mean by "without a ruckman"? Obviously, they will play someone in the ruck, so it becomes subjective whether we all call that someone a ruckman or not.

Oh... do you mean just "with their first ruckman injured the entire season"?
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:09 pm

K, yes should have specified recognised ruckman. It was partly in response to comments about ruckmen not winning you a GF which is a neat comment when of course (in my opinion) a ruckman is needed to get you there in the first place.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 am

Monco Matt wrote:
Small sample size, but we just won without him after losing 9 out of 11 this year. Yes, we lost the ruck contests, but we looked better at ground level without Grundy feeding the opposition mids all day long. The dynamics shifted around the stoppages. I think we still lost there but not having to watch Grundy tap it down the oppo's throats was stress relief in itself.

The jury is still out! But, it is clear that you don't need to tie up so much cash in a ruckman. $500k x 2 who do a serviceable and competitive job is far better.

i think this conclusion is true for an ordinary side. But i think an elite team is unstoppable with a dominant ruck. We aren't good enough right now to take advantage of Grundy's skill set. His effectiveness in a good side in 2018/2019 was fairly clear.

And suggesting that losing to Port by a point (with Grundy) is bad but berating Adelaide by 5 points (without Grundy) is historic (given the relative strength of the opponent) might be a little too basic my friend.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:19 am

E wrote:
Why on earth do any of us care that what he is getting paid. Certainly, i understand a healthy debate about the job the administration are doing, but i dont understand how people's view of Grundy the player have changed with the money. And its not even that much money. Its less than a million dollars a year (some people pay more in taxes!) and he only has a 10 year career to make his lifetime earnings.

Shocked Shocked

There is a salary cap! Our club threw away players last trade period because of that busted salary cap. In the past week, G. Wright told the media there are still problems with the salary cap.

This isn't EPL.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:23 am

AnthonyC wrote:
K, yes should have specified recognised ruckman. It was partly in response to comments about ruckmen not winning you a GF which is a neat comment when of course (in my opinion) a ruckman is needed to get you there in the first place.

Adelaide won a flag after star ruckman Sean Rehn busted his knee and missed the whole season. They won their other flag after star full forward Tony Modra missed the whole season. Rehn's replacement must have been a ruckman, of course. Pittman??

Winning with no ruckman at all may be hard. Winning with a mediocre but seasoned one is common.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:28 am

K wrote:

Adelaide won a flag after star ruckman Sean Rehn busted his knee and missed the whole season. They won their other flag after star full forward Tony Modra missed the whole season. Rehn's replacement must have been a ruckman, of course. Pittman??

Winning with no ruckman at all may be hard. Winning with a mediocre but seasoned one is common.

You had me curious, but you're out a year, Rehn missed in 1995 & 1996.

Last edited by AnthonyC on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:30 am

Oh... Really? Shocked Thanks for checking. Looks like I also spelled his name incorrectly. Sad

I see Shaun returned in round 5 of 1997. He also missed the whole of 1999. Shocked Three knee recos.

The Modra thing was a little different too. He did his knee in the 97 PF. Shocked Sad He did make it back before the end of the 98 season, but could not regain form. Two GFs missed. Have to feel sorry for him.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:35 am

K wrote:
E wrote:
Why on earth do any of us care that what he is getting paid. Certainly, i understand a healthy debate about the job the administration are doing, but i dont understand how people's view of Grundy the player have changed with the money. And its not even that much money. Its less than a million dollars a year (some people pay more in taxes!) and he only has a 10 year career to make his lifetime earnings.

Shocked Shocked

There is a salary cap! Our club threw away players last trade period because of that busted salary cap. In the past week, G. Wright told the media there are still problems with the salary cap.

This isn't EPL.

OK, but that's not Grundy's job. He doesn't have to manage the salary cap. There is someone being paid more than Grundy (most likely to do that)!!!!! You are attacking the wrong person.

Grundy is the same player he was before the club agreed to pay him. He is the best ruckman in the league. He gives his heart and soul for the club (and his neck). The very thought that he is the reason we lose games is ridiculous. Someone suggested that we are better with Lynch as ruckman because, well, we beat Adelaide. asinine!

We did exactly the same thing to Travis Cloke when he got his money.

Tall Poppy Syndrome. The one single thing that holds Australia back!!!!

We need to get over it!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:42 am

Interesting watching Dee’s Lions game
When the Dee’s were getting beaten up around the contest in the first half Gawn decided to hit it to the outside more or simply hit it as far away from the contest as he could
It gave them time to set defensively
Grundy needs to lessen these lessons instead of hitting to his own feet to often
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Interesting watching Dee’s Lions game
When the Dee’s were getting beaten up around the contest in the first half Gawn decided to hit it to the outside more or simply hit it as far away from the contest as he could
It gave them time to set defensively
Grundy needs to lessen these lessons instead of hitting to his own feet to often

that does seem to be a good lessen to lesson!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 23 of 39   

Jump to: