Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Grundy thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Because Cox, Grundy and Adams have that much-needed leg speed?

Hey slow and steady wins the clearance.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:01 am

Not sure we’re going to be afforded the luxury of playing against a starting midfield of Sloane ( great warrior past his best ) Laird ( re modelled back pocket ) and Keays ( Brisbane reject ) every week. Finally, we came up against a mid field we could match, whether Grundy played or not.
Surely the real issue is more about Grundys contract than his ability.
The ability is unquestionable but I guess the cost of that ability is the real heart of the matter.
I’d suggest it will be a different conversation after the Dees game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:29 am

^ I doubt it. The great thing about a counterfactual is that it doesn't matter how entirely ludicrous it is, it can't be definitively disproved. You watch - Gawn could have 115 hitouts, kick 17 goals from 45 contested marks and lay 25 tackles next week and people would still say, "What makes you think Grundy could have done any better against him?"

For example, Collingwood won the ruck contests 63 to 4 and the hitouts to advantage 24 to 1 against Brisbane. Grrundy had 28 disposals, laid 6 tackles, had 5 clearances, took 6 marks and had a goal assist and there were still airheads on here pointing out that he wasn't up against much.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:23 pm

mgh3536 wrote:
Love to try Cox Grundy Adam’s daicos at centre bounces

Playing Grundy as bull midfielder, Cox going fwd after tap

Grundy as bull midfielder - Great leftfield thinking but for mine far too slow, fumbly, extremely poor kick under pressure, and susceptible to giving away too many soft tackling frees - would be a massive liability to say the least. Just needs to concentrate more on being a ruck first.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:35 pm

The problem is some blind fools want to always blame the midfield when Grundys 60 hitouts go straight to his feet or the opposition.

Only the dream team generation can defend a bloke getting a lot of stats that don’t actually help his team win games of football. The fact Brisbane could throw in 2 rookies against Collingwood’s million dollar hack and win their first game of the season shows how ridiculous it is we threw so much money at a ruckman.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ I doubt it. The great thing about a counterfactual is that it doesn't matter how entirely ludicrous it is, it can't be definitively disproved. You watch - Gawn could have 115 hitouts, kick 17 goals from 45 contested marks and lay 25 tackles next week and people would still say, "What makes you think Grundy could have done any better against him?"

For example, Collingwood won the ruck contests 63 to 4 and the hitouts to advantage 24 to 1 against Brisbane. Grrundy had 28 disposals, laid 6 tackles, had 5 clearances, took 6 marks and had a goal assist and there were still airheads on here pointing out that he wasn't up against much.

I don’t think Grundy’s output is ever questioned - he’s undoubtedly a gun and his numbers clearly show it. However, what isn’t reflected in his stats are how many times he also actually costs us in games especially with regard to momentum. How many times after we score a hard fought goal does Grundy undo everything by tapping it down the throat of the opposing ruck or midfielder for an easy goal to counter immediately. In my opinion, is he worth his salary - 150% YES. Was it the right decision for us to pay him that much for that long at that particular time of our journey - 150% NO. As I’ve said before we should have set our limits and if his management didn’t agree we should have got the best deal we could’ve - which at the time was plenty.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:43 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
Small sample size, but we just won without him after losing 9 out of 11 this year. Yes, we lost the ruck contests, but we looked better at ground level without Grundy feeding the opposition mids all day long. The dynamics shifted around the stoppages. I think we still lost there but not having to watch Grundy tap it down the oppo's throats was stress relief in itself.

The jury is still out! But, it is clear that you don't need to tie up so much cash in a ruckman. $500k x 2 who do a serviceable and competitive job is far better.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I think you (as are many others) letting the contract that Grundy was able to negotiate (allegedly - I mean does anyone know exactly what?) cloud your thinking. We have had plenty of opportunities to win games this season. There has been a massive disconnect with our mids and forwards. Because Grundy is on a large contract a lot of people tend to lay blame on him when we don't win. I get it, gee we could have picked up a couple of gun free agents or kept a couple of others if we had more cap space.

The guy is an absolute Gun player, the ridiculous commentary around him because of his cost is just plain crazy. If we lose a game it's apparently his fault alone.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:09 pm

If we had let Grundy go, things would be much worse. As we will see against Melbourne I'd suggest. However, I hope I'm wrong and I hope we beat those silvertail wankers.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:18 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
The jury is still out! But, it is clear that you don't need to tie up so much cash in a ruckman. $500k x 2 who do a serviceable and competitive job is far better.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I think you (as are many others) letting the contract that Grundy was able to negotiate (allegedly - I mean does anyone know exactly what?) cloud your thinking. ...

Allegedly? What doubts do you have that the contract reported everywhere is incorrect?

NewsCorp has in the past printed inaccurate player salaries, but it was only NewsCorp, and the players immediately denied it. There have been no denials of the reported salary of Grundy.

Re. losing games this year...

This year the club is in such a mess, a win or loss is not important. If the club is in a mess for the next 6 years, it also in that way "won't matter". But if the club is challenging for a flag in 5 or 6 years time, with a battered ruckman aged 32 or 33 plodding along, that contract could cost us a flag.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:23 pm

Said by Zed wrote:
... However, what isn’t reflected in his stats are how many times he also actually costs us in games especially with regard to momentum. How many times after we score a hard fought goal does Grundy undo everything by tapping it down the throat of the opposing ruck or midfielder for an easy goal to counter immediately. ...

The most painful example was the '18 GF, Q4. Was it after that monster JdG goal on the run?

Grundy gave away a free kick at the centre bounce that followed. I didn't see what for. Dunno if there is video of it out there. But it killed off the surge we had to start Q4. Sad

(And this of course was when Nic Nat was out for the year with a knee reco.)
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:37 pm

K wrote:

Allegedly? What doubts do you have that the contract reported everywhere is incorrect?

NewsCorp has in the past printed inaccurate player salaries, but it was only NewsCorp, and the players immediately denied it. There have been no denials of the reported salary of Grundy.

Re. losing games this year...

This year the club is in such a mess, a win or loss is not important. If the club is in a mess for the next 6 years, it also in that way "won't matter". But if the club is challenging for a flag in 5 or 6 years time, with a battered ruckman aged 32 or 33 plodding along, that contract could cost us a flag.

K, my point was his exact contract, I understand he’s on a big contract I did state as such. We don’t know the full details, but it’s no doubt big money.

Fair point re the future but we don’t know what will happen between now and then nor what Grundy will be performing like at the time let alone the team. Right now he’s easily one of the best ruckmen if not the best.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:50 pm

He may be the best ruckman for getting the most taps which go to no one, but recent history suggests ruckmen don;t win you premierships. So having your highest paid player someone who won't win the team a premiership seems pretty stupid list management and has set the club back 7 years.

Let's not forget how often Collingwood loses to teams without their best ruckman, like the 2018 GF...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:58 pm

^^^ Last quarter of the 2018 Grand Final. Scores are level.

Grundy wins the opening bounce. There is a second ball up. From the second bounce, Grundy palms it straight down Mayne's throat. Mayne kicks forward, Mihocek crumbs and goals. The quarter has been going 25 seconds.

Next bounce. Grundy wins the ruck. Lycett tries to kick the ball. Adams smothers. The ball rebounds our way to Greenwood, who falls over. Sidebottom handballs to De Goey, who goals. The quarter has been going 38 seconds.

Next bounce. Grundy wins the ruck. A free is paid to Lycett for holding. The free kick is not against Grundy. Lycett kicks long. Vardy marks and kicks a long goal.

Next bounce. Grundy wins the ruck. He palms the ball down to De Goey. De Goey, who may have been watching too much of Treloar, decides to run directly towards centre half back, take on three West Coast players and then throw the ball as he goes to ground. West Coast gets a free. Cripps kicks a point.

In any event. Collingwood kicked the next goal (Cox, 4 minutes into the quarter, with a mark after a half-forward stoppage from which - yes, you guessed it, Grundy won the ruck and Collingwood cleared it to Maynard, who kicked long).

Next bounce. Lycett wins the hitout. Grundy roves it and handballs to Sier. Collingwood wins the clearance. Sier gives it to Treloar, He runs to CHB and handballs to Langdon, who handballs it out to Thomas. Thomas handballs it to Sier. Sier falls over, is stripped of the ball (by Le Cras!). Yeo kicks it wildly but forward off his left. Aish misjudges the ball and runs under it. It comes to Darling who evades Howe and Pendlebury and handballs to Ryan on the run. He kicks it to Kennedy, who marks on the lead ahead of Goldsack and goals from his set shot.

Next bounce. Grundy punches the ball down Sier's throat. He kicks long to CHF. Cox is caught behind his opponent, who takes a chest mark.

I can't be bothered watching the rest. I know how it ends. It will suffice to say that there is only one more goal in the game.

Collingwood won 5 of the first 6 centre bounce contests in the last quarter. The one they lost was for a holding free kick.

Anyone watching the game fairly to that point would say that Collingwood had 3 goals and the lead in large part because of Grundy's dominance at the centre bounces. Unfortunately, West Coast had two easy goals. Both were a consequence of our undermanned defence (Langdon and Howe outmarked in a pack by Vardy, with Darling) and Goldie being unable to go with Kennedy. That was to be expected, since we had a make-shift defence with three half-back flankers being forced to mind the talls. Each of them gave away massive height and weight advantages and, really, the surprising thing was that they only conceded 11 goals. In any event, the suggestion that Grundy did anything "momentum killing" in that critical part of the game is certifiable drivel.

That's the problem with video footage, of course - people can watch it for themselves. They don't have to rely on your jaundiced recollection.

So, your "most painful example" is, as usual, imaginary drivel. I really don't know why you bother posting in this thread, since you have nothing useful to say on the subject, at all.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:01 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Next bounce. Grundy wins the ruck. A free is paid to Lycett for holding. The free kick is not against Grundy. Lycett kicks long. Vardy marks and kicks a long goal.

Who was the free kick against then? What was it for? Question

Please share with us the video that shows the violation that resulted in this free kick.

Last edited by K on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:02 am

Why don't you watch it and tell me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 22 of 39   

Jump to: