Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Port overpowers Pies. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the Roughead part he plays and has had to take on the leader’s role with Howe and Moore out
Together with Bruzz the experience that glues the back line and tutor to Murphy/Quaynor/Ruscoe

Yes I hope he does go around next year

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:16 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
simon tonna wrote:
Special mention to Roughead. This guy is a warrior for us, he hardly makes a mistake, keeps the backline structure under unbelievable duress. Often out plays a much more highly paid and fancied opponent. flipping good season. Would love him to take home the Copeland.

He’s been fantastic for us, especially when you add in how little the trade cost us. Rougheads season is the classic example of looking better when better players surround you ( and that’s not a criticism, it’s more a team first outcome )
When Moore was available this year, Rougheads season was flawless.
With Moore out and not playing in front of him, Roughead is simply now asked to do too much and is exposed on occasions without the support of Moore and Howe.
I reckon he’s got one more season in him, particularly in the knowledge that Moore and Howe will be back along side him in 2022.

I reckon I'd be exposed being pushed in the back and the umpire paying the mark to my opponent. Good thing Roughead isn't Maynard. It would have been a string of 50m penalties and reported for foul language.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:03 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

At some stage, some of you people need to give up your carping. These guys are all-time Collingwood greats, playing through a tough season with not much grown-up help.

Unbelievable!!! You're judging the calibre of other posters' comments as carping because the players concerned are Collingwood greats, yet you stood at the head of the line to throw sh*t upon one of our greatest for months on end, at every opportunity!!!! Laughing

If you're referring to Buckley, I don't think you'll find any criticism of him from me in his capacity as a wonderful footballer. His "coaching" is a whole different thing - but then, again, we both know he won't be going into the AFL Hall of Fame for his coaching, don't we? Let's be serious, he isn't even clearly Collingwood's best coach this season, let alone "one of our greatest" coaches.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:31 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
We got killed by another goalless quarter

We lost hitouts 27-34, clearances 32-39, clangers 65-56, tackles I50 4-15 and I50s 39-58

Oh, and chose Cox as medisub

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:17 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I don't know where you get the stats of score involvement from or how there calculate it but I would be amazed if they combined for 18

So would I - not least because I didn't assert that.

The stats come from the AFL site. They are "player stats" in the AFL's live match feed. Here: https://www.afl.com.au/matches/3131#player-stats

They revise them after the event. Thus, since I posted, they have increased Grundy's contested possessions tally to 14 (it was 13 when I was posting last evening) and they have reduced Sidebottom's clearance number from 7 to 6, if that matters in the scheme of things. Later today, they will add the detailed ruck stats (eg, hitouts to advantage, ruck contests attended etc), so they do get checked, altered and updated.

The "score involvement" stat is on the second tab, marked "Advanced".

By all means, argue it out if you disagree - but I'd prefer that you didn't infer that I might be getting the stats from some weird source. I just use the publicly available information.

Also, I made no comparison between Buckley and Sidebottom. I simply observed that he's going to break Buckley's number of games for Collingwood next time he gets a game. People have been negative about Sidebottom for the best part of a decade. At some point, the constant disparagement starts to look churlish, don't you think? 2 Copeland Trophies (one in a Grand Final year), 95 Brownlow votes (so far), and now well inside the top 10 for games played all-time for Collingwood - and that by age 30. He's got plenty of limitations - but he has been a fine servant of the Club. If people can't find it in their hearts to applaud the effort of our short, slow, outside midfielder to go in and get those stats when Pendlebury was out and Adams was plainly hampered by injury, I can only wonder what they get out of watching Collingwood.

Mate you’ve mistaken my question. I didn’t infer you made stats up I meant I didn’t know where they come from or how it’s measured
I went and checked the advance stats as you stated and I’m still none the wiser how it’s calculated
I added up total score involvements for Collingwood players and it comes to 89
We didn’t have 89 scores or scoring chances so to me personally it’s now seems a meaningless stat that is given to anyone who touches a ball anytime leading to a score
For me IMO some stats are completely meaningless and some stats point towards a players true value in a team
Saying Chris Mayne is our best kick would be a folly but he in fact for kicks up to 25m he’s our most eff kick why because there mainly backwards so it’s meaningless in real terms
Ive been saying for over 12 months the stats for Sidey that I see as important have been in decline and he’s lost half a yard of pace and fumbles a little more than he did in the past
This is mainly due to age and his body being banged around to much
I would never question his desire or heart or putting his body on the line for the team not now not ever
He has sacrificed for the team many times over

Sidey breaking Buckley’s games is a milestone of durability
Buckley won 6 Copelands in what will be less games 3 of those in GF years (if memory serves me correct) he also got 178 Brownlow votes in less games
I have never said Sidey hasn’t done his best given his limitations nor have I ever asserted he doesn’t deserve congratulations for his service
I’ve always stated I didn’t and still don’t believe he should ever be spoken about in the top echelon of players to ever play for the club
I have often taken exception when you state players like Treloar is a spud when he is played as a inside mid when he’s a outside mid but when Sidey plays inside which he should have never had to do either you make sure people know he’s played out of position
To me it can’t work both ways mate
Both players careers have been hampered by being played away from there strengths and I would say both careers have been shortened by it as well
At the end of his career I’ll be the first to congratulate Sidey he’s been a fine servant for the club no doubt about it in my mind
We can always agree to disagree mate im always cool with that
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:22 pm

GreekLunatic wrote:
port are going no where in the finals. A glimmer of hope with the form henry mcrae and ruscoe showed. also hinkley is a spud coach

I don't think they have beaten anyone in the top 8 other than Richmond.

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:27 pm

GreekLunatic wrote:
port are going no where in the finals. A glimmer of hope with the form henry mcrae and ruscoe showed. also hinkley is a spud coach

They are Flat Track Bullies

MJ23 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:38 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Anyone who watched the game fairly knows that Grundy and Sidebottom carried a team full of children tonight. 13 contested possessions each, 7 clearances each, 26 disposals apiece, Grundy had 8 score involvements and Sidebottom had 10. I cannot believe that people would bag them for their effort or their contributions. It was like sending them out to play in a Dads and Kids scratch match. People need to try to keep a little balance.

Anyway, next week, Sidebottom will become "the most overrated player in the AFL to play more games for Collingwood than Buckley." I hope they put that on the run-through banner.

At some stage, some of you people need to give up your carping. These guys are all-time Collingwood greats, playing through a tough season with not much grown-up help.

This.
Anyone with half a footy brain watched the kids in this game to see the future.
Nicks is getting old and pathetic in its ignorance

Pep 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:42 pm

We los the game, but not disgraced. Really happy with the fight and how the kids played.
Break out game for Macrae, Henry showing why he was our first pick, and and nice plays from the others.

Some ump decisions were baffling and cost us some goals, but Port for the most part were more organised and played the game on their terms.

What a pick up Roughy has been, a priority is to be able to replace him when his times is up.

With Pendles done for the year, this is another opportunity for another young player to impress.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:43 pm

Scores involvement starts at the start of a “chain” of possession. The hard working backman that wins a contest and hits a target that then sees the ball move without dispossession to a score is credited.

Really not that hard to understand why involvements add up to more than scoring shots.

Also. Some people are transparent when it comes to Sidey. He deserves better.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:47 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I added up total score involvements for Collingwood players and it comes to 89. We didn’t have 89 scores or scoring chances

If Grundy hits out to advantage, Adams clears it, handpasses to Pendlebury who kicks it to Elliot who kicks a behind, that's 4 score involvements for 1 score

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:02 pm

We are now only 1/2 game off the bottom of the ladder
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I added up total score involvements for Collingwood players and it comes to 89. We didn’t have 89 scores or scoring chances

If Grundy hits out to advantage, Adams clears it, handpasses to Pendlebury who kicks it to Elliot who kicks a behind, that's 4 score involvements for 1 score

So basically it’s a meaningless stat then.It means that anyone who touched the ball leading up to a goal or a point is credited with a score involvement.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:10 pm

Anyone credited in the chain of continuous possessions culminating in a score, yes. That is the definition of a score involvement
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:13 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Unbelievable!!! You're judging the calibre of other posters' comments as carping because the players concerned are Collingwood greats, yet you stood at the head of the line to throw sh*t upon one of our greatest for months on end, at every opportunity!!!! Laughing

If you're referring to Buckley, I don't think you'll find any criticism of him from me in his capacity as a wonderful footballer. His "coaching" is a whole different thing - but then, again, we both know he won't be going into the AFL Hall of Fame for his coaching, don't we? Let's be serious, he isn't even clearly Collingwood's best coach this season, let alone "one of our greatest" coaches.

Anyone who thinks Buckley can coach should be watching what Stephenson is doing in the Carlton-North Melbourne game. And to argue that it was a salary cap issue when we still carried senior guys like Greenwood into the 2021 season on about the same money as Stephenson is laughable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: