Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Port overpowers Pies. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
masoncox wrote:
The 3 most overrated and over paid players in the afl are in order
1.Grundy
2. Sidebottom
3 JDG
and lastly Cameron can't ruck full stop

Grundy was 1 of our Best.

Can't do everything

Anyone who watched the game fairly knows that Grundy and Sidebottom carried a team full of children tonight. 13 contested possessions each, 7 clearances each, 26 disposals apiece, Grundy had 8 score involvements and Sidebottom had 10. I cannot believe that people would bag them for their effort or their contributions. It was like sending them out to play in a Dads and Kids scratch match. People need to try to keep a little balance.

Anyway, next week, Sidebottom will become "the most overrated player in the AFL to play more games for Collingwood than Buckley." I hope they put that on the run-through banner.

At some stage, some of you people need to give up your carping. These guys are all-time Collingwood greats, playing through a tough season with not much grown-up help.

I don't know where you get the stats of score involvement from or how there calculate it but I would be amazed if they combined for 18
I watched the game a second time after reading this and I found 7 between them if I was generous enough to give them a stat for touching it within 3 touches before a score was recorded
Grundy was double teamed all night again and was solid but not great
Sidey played much better this week than his previous 3 or 4 games but then again that wouldn't be hard considering his exposed form recently and over the past 18 months
As for games played congrats he's durable is what it means
He isn't in the same hemosphere as Buckley as a player in any terms
To suggest such a thing shows a complete disregard for Buckley the player who would be ranked in the best 2 or 3 Collingwood players of all time (not on games played but on consistency of performance and match winning ability)
Other than that the game was horrible to watch really
Umpires had a result in mind and ensured it happened

Was happy with the effort the kids showed it was literally boys against men scenario and it showed in the end
At least the kids are getting games and knowing what it will take to be a AFL player so all isn't lost
Hope Pendles isn't a long term injury and Adams going off late is a concern as well
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:21 am

They played a great attacking brand with the kids committing to the game

Poulter,a definite future quality player seems the rest was not long enough but he still put in

Ruscoe is becoming a very good defence

Henry. What can I say His future is exciting

Tohill was bit overawed. Ginnivan showed some skills

Both Bianco and McCrae were very good

My opinion. Given they keep learning we have making of a great side

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:22 am

Overall, we should all be pleased by the effort shown by our young team. However, without doubt we lost the game at the selection table. Having Cox as the injury sub was lunacy, and his performance was rather pitiful. The only rationale there can be is that the club wants Cox to play senior games, to maintain his fast diminishing trade value. In truth, once we lost our captain, the game was shot.

We should all be rapt in the form of Henry, Macrae, Bianco and Ginnivan. I think Poulter is struggling a bit at present, but he'll be a player for sure. As for Toehill, I think he was simply gifted a game after 2 1/2 years of training with us. Despite being a great athlete, he looked way out of his depth. Back to the ressies for him I suspect.

As a couple of others have noted, I thought Madgen was one of our best. One thing's for sure, you always know what you'll get from him.....100 per cent effort.

I'm not sure why there's criticism of Grundy, as I rated him as our best. What he needs, is a ruck partner to shoulder all the work. Cameron needs to lift his intensity to assist more in the ruck.

Finally, we fell away in the last quarter after Adams went missing, which I suspect was due to an injury, after he'd racked up 20 disposals (including a few of his usual clangers) in the first half.

It was a good team performance and I am very positive that we have a great bunch of young players with big futures ahead of them at Collingwood.

Harvey - please bring in Sier and Wilson next week.

Btw, had Elliott's goal been awarded and Dixon's constant pushing in Roughead's back been penalised, then we may have actually won the phucking game.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:34 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I don't know where you get the stats of score involvement from or how there calculate it but I would be amazed if they combined for 18

So would I - not least because I didn't assert that.

The stats come from the AFL site. They are "player stats" in the AFL's live match feed. Here: https://www.afl.com.au/matches/3131#player-stats

They revise them after the event. Thus, since I posted, they have increased Grundy's contested possessions tally to 14 (it was 13 when I was posting last evening) and they have reduced Sidebottom's clearance number from 7 to 6, if that matters in the scheme of things. Later today, they will add the detailed ruck stats (eg, hitouts to advantage, ruck contests attended etc), so they do get checked, altered and updated.

The "score involvement" stat is on the second tab, marked "Advanced".

By all means, argue it out if you disagree - but I'd prefer that you didn't infer that I might be getting the stats from some weird source. I just use the publicly available information.

Also, I made no comparison between Buckley and Sidebottom. I simply observed that he's going to break Buckley's number of games for Collingwood next time he gets a game. People have been negative about Sidebottom for the best part of a decade. At some point, the constant disparagement starts to look churlish, don't you think? 2 Copeland Trophies (one in a Grand Final year), 95 Brownlow votes (so far), and now well inside the top 10 for games played all-time for Collingwood - and that by age 30. He's got plenty of limitations - but he has been a fine servant of the Club. If people can't find it in their hearts to applaud the effort of our short, slow, outside midfielder to go in and get those stats when Pendlebury was out and Adams was plainly hampered by injury, I can only wonder what they get out of watching Collingwood.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:57 am

I thought Ginnivans seven touches were all composed and very effective.
He worked right up the ground and that’s new to him but he was pretty good with ball in hand.
It was an upgrade on Henry’s debut but we have all seen what can happen in the space of a few games with some of these kids.
I think Jack is another one who looks to have a future at the elite level. The carrot is there for all of them, work your arses off in the off season and preseason and you will get your chance in 2022.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:12 am

A word on Sidey. When the captain went off and Tay went in for a checkup
he assumed the role of the experienced leader

It was a much better game that recently

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:26 am

The one thing I’m looking forward to is what impact a new coach will have on players such as Grundy and degoey. Unfortunately imho Grundy won’t get better as he has “shown his hand” so to speak and is now being exposed due to his limitations around the ground and centre bounces. Interesting times for him at Collingwood to say the least.
Degoey, I still think he’s our best potential player but unless it’s on a string for him he can’t work his way into a game. And that’s only because he’s a flashy type player atm in he’s career. Could be a great but needs to realise the chance he has. Unfortunately for us stupid fans we have hope for them and wish them well but invariably are let down. One I would move on in a heartbeat if it wasn’t for the length of the contract the other I would stick in a cage and feed occasionally.

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:43 am

Take away the second Q- where we had to readjust to loss of Pendles and copped some shocking umpiring decisions (and some misses by Checkers)- and it was actually a really impressive display.
Tohill started in a nightmare and gradually settled- like Keane- doesnt help when you're plugging holes in a weakened defence against a decent attack.

Ginnivan looked great in the little things he did.
Bianco and Maccrae showed they are pure footballers.
Poulter looks a bit flat but will be a ripper
Henry looks like a level headed Stevo last night- great running- football IQ.

CAn't help but love Madgen and Noble- much maligned but both never give anything but 100%
Bruzz should be our next capatin
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:49 am

One the captain thing as discussed by Graham Wright our current captain has expressed the desire to carry on playing and I imagine possibly on a year to year contract from next year onwards

If so I also imagine he will hand over captaincies duties to a younger player
Possibly Bruzz or Tay

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:00 pm

BazBoy wrote:
One the captain thing as discussed by Graham Wright our current captain has expressed the desire to carry on playing and I imagine possibly on a year to year contract from next year onwards

If so I also imagine he will hand over captaincies duties to a younger player
Possibly Bruzz or Tay

We could do a lot worse in choosing Maynard as C like Tay for example. Next C has to be Moore.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:08 pm

Special mention to Roughead. This guy is a warrior for us, he hardly makes a mistake, keeps the backline structure under unbelievable duress. Often out plays a much more highly paid and fancied opponent. flipping good season. Would love him to take home the Copeland.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:15 pm

The difference in this game was the umpires.
Some absolute howlers gifted the Power goals and proved to be the difference between the sides.
Throw in the non goal to Elliott and the margin would have been only a few points either way.

Very pleased with the effort and composure of the younger players.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:43 pm

Who ever it be (and that includes Harvey) that has these raw but talented kids has a lot of work

But if I’m right for eventual rewards

I personally am confident in our future

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:04 pm

simon tonna wrote:
Special mention to Roughead. This guy is a warrior for us, he hardly makes a mistake, keeps the backline structure under unbelievable duress. Often out plays a much more highly paid and fancied opponent. flipping good season. Would love him to take home the Copeland.

He’s been fantastic for us, especially when you add in how little the trade cost us. Rougheads season is the classic example of looking better when better players surround you ( and that’s not a criticism, it’s more a team first outcome )
When Moore was available this year, Rougheads season was flawless.
With Moore out and not playing in front of him, Roughead is simply now asked to do too much and is exposed on occasions without the support of Moore and Howe.
I reckon he’s got one more season in him, particularly in the knowledge that Moore and Howe will be back along side him in 2022.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:09 pm

port are going no where in the finals. A glimmer of hope with the form henry mcrae and ruscoe showed. also hinkley is a spud coach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: