Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who will coach Collingwood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want as our next coach?
Ross Lyon
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Alistair Clarkson
24%
 24%  [ 43 ]
Brad Scott
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Mark Williams
19%
 19%  [ 34 ]
Michael Voss
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Adem Yze or Sam Mitchell
19%
 19%  [ 35 ]
Blake Caracella
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Scott Burns
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Craig McRae
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 178

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpietothemax wrote:
Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:

Alas, poor Buckley! I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath borne me on his back a thousand times, and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it.

Wonderful!! The poetic imagination of Shakespeare captures so well the nature of the current situation.
Alas poor Buckley. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite strength, most excellent resolution. He hath borne Collingwood on his back a thousand times, and now how sad in my memory it is! My anguish rises at it.

That is the emotional crisis we find ourselves entangled in. But time moves on, as does the will to grasp destiny with both hands.

So we see Bucks as the Hamlet of Collingwood? Yeah, the tragic doomed prince who can never take the final step of claiming the crown/premiership that seems destined to be his.....I like it!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:02 am

Paul Licuria's thoughts on coaching candidates and related matters: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/big-name-may-not-be-best-fit-for-pies-in-coach-search-licuria-20210612-p580hc.html
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:08 pm

Good article in the Hun today, where Mick Malthouse argues why Choco Williams is the perfect fit to be our coach. I couldn't agree more.
CootaPie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:15 pm

It seems I’m really swimming against the tide here but I would be rapt to have Ross Lyon in charge. Most negative comments focus on Lyon’s defensive style, but it's important to note that Lyon’s game plan and style is extremely structured and disciplined and it has been proven to be effective .i.e. wins games, in direct contrast to when Buckley implemented a negative style for the majority of his tenure, with 2018 being the outlier. Almost any coach will implement a defensive system as a priority and Lyon knows what he is doing.

Lyon is also a ruthless competitor and disciplinarian and I believe that would make a big impact following Buckley’s self-professed “It’s not my job to motivate the players” approach.

No, Lyon hasn’t won a premiership but he could’ve gone back to back with St. Kilda but for a horrific goal-umpiring error and a fluky toe poke in 2009 against Geelong and ‘that’ bounce that fortunately avoided Milne in 2010. He also took Fremantle to their first and only GF to date in 2013 and won the minor premiership in 2015. I know – coulda, woulda, shoulda - but we’ve heard ad infinitum about how Buckley should have been a premiership coach but for an umpiring mistake and I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm also not huge on appointing a first-timer. Statistics have been presented to say recent premierships have been won by first-time coaches and that is the case but what about the high percentage of first-time coaches that are chewed up and spat out? Statistics can always be skewed to support a particular point of view. We are building a base of fine young talent with more to come and I would much prefer to trust their development and football education to a proven entity.

And for those pushing for Leppitsch and even Voss. Please. Both were mocked incessantly on this site (short memories) during their time at the Lions and I wouldn’t touch either with a barge pole for any role. Apparently, Leppitsch sounds alright in the media (I wouldn’t know) so let’s put him in charge? By the way, both of them (like Lyon) have coached their own AFL sides and (unlike Lyon) have performed extremely poorly. Maybe they might be better second time around but I’d rather find that out while they’re coaching someone else.

But Lyon is too old you say. Well he’s 54 I suppose. It’s a totally different sport but it might be worth considering that Tom Thibodeau was just named NBA Coach of the Year at 63. He has also coached several teams previously, been sacked and hasn’t won a championship. Defense is his calling card. Remind you of anyone? There are countless examples in just about every sport imaginable of ‘older’ coaches being at the top of their profession and I certainly don’t feel that AFL should be any different.

I would obviously also be very happy with Clarkson and if we decide to go the young route it’s Sam Mitchell by a country mile IMHO. And a huge no to any ex-Collingwood players as senior coach. Surely we’ve seen enough to realise this doesn’t work.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:43 pm

Hearing that a black line has already gone through Lyon's name.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:01 pm

My preference's in order are:

Choco Williams
Clarkson
Jurgen Klopp
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:03 pm

With the move of Graham Wright to Collingwood introduced a return of a Collingwood player (a premiership one at that) so remembering the move out of Collingwood of another was Scott Burns who realised while coaching at Collingwood was filled went on to get some great grounding under Clarko and at West Coast also

Thoughts on Scott Burns -OR - a feeling of no not anther Collingwood player to coach us

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:13 pm

I posted a link, above, to Paul Licuria's thoughts on the subject, published this morning in The Age. It's a matter for all of you whether you wanted to take any notice of it - but since he's actually on the selection panel, you might want to have a read to assist you all with your wild speculation.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I posted a link, above, to Paul Licuria's thoughts on the subject, published this morning in The Age. It's a matter for all of you whether you wanted to take any notice of it - but since he's actually on the selection panel, you might want to have a read to assist you all with your wild speculation.

Disappointed Licca didn't mention Jurgen Klopp as a likely candidate. Confused
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm

^ I don't necessarily disagree with you observations (save as to Klopp, of course) and I'm certainly not saying we need to accept Licuria's view - far from it - but it's probably helpful to consider it, since he's one of the people who will actually make the decision.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 pm

CootaPie wrote:
But Lyon is too old you say. Well he’s 54 I suppose.

I haven't seen anyone say that. Only about Williams (62)

CootaPie wrote:
It’s a totally different sport but it might be worth considering that Tom Thibodeau was just named NBA Coach of the Year

Buckley was COTY in 2018. Didn't help him

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:23 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ On the other hand, he has first hand experience of what it takes to get a West Coast player to choke in front of goal against Collingwood in a big final. That must be worth something?

I would not be referring to 'choke or choked or chocking' as a player or team, coming from Collingwood - 2018 says hello,, just saying...

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Amazing all this talk about Clarkson and Hardwick.

These guys will go down as Legends of their clubs winning multiple Premierships AND remember - it's their players, it's their assistants, it's their game plan, it's their everything because they are the Coaches and all we can do is look at way's to justify it's not because of them - well it is them and they are the sole reason for bringing success to their clubs.

The best we can offer is 'Bucks got within a kick of winning it'...lol.

All this bull that Ed continues to spin that we made finals, got with in a kick etc etc, is exactly that, bull and spin which translates to FAILURE again in Finals by this club.

Bring on the next challenge as I hope it will be exciting with the Ed and Bucks show of continuous bull and spin goooooooooooooooooooone!!!

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ I don't necessarily disagree with you observations (save as to Klopp, of course) and I'm certainly not saying we need to accept Licuria's view - far from it - but it's probably helpful to consider it, since he's one of the people who will actually make the decision.

Good article, lucky to have such an open minded board member to be honest. I may not personally like their final choice but it seems we are 100% going to go through a solid and thorough process.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Paul Licuria's thoughts on coaching candidates and related matters: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/big-name-may-not-be-best-fit-for-pies-in-coach-search-licuria-20210612-p580hc.html

This would be welcomed news.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 18 of 158   

Jump to: