Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who will coach Collingwood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want as our next coach?
Ross Lyon
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Alistair Clarkson
24%
 24%  [ 43 ]
Brad Scott
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Mark Williams
19%
 19%  [ 34 ]
Michael Voss
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Adem Yze or Sam Mitchell
19%
 19%  [ 35 ]
Blake Caracella
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Scott Burns
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Craig McRae
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 178

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpietothemax wrote:
Based on Hawthorn;s performance tonight against the Swans, one can surmise that Clarkson has lost absolutely none of his genius and his ability to inspire brilliance in the team he coaches. Hawthorn are below us on the ladder and turned in a performance of such exhilaration and energy that we could never possibly imagine under the 2021 Bux coaching regime.
however, I dont think we are any chance to get him. I think his project now is to rebuild Hawthorn, rather than us.
Beware of Sam Mitchell though. By all means, interview him and make an assessment. But never assume that a former legend can become a master coach. We need to learn lessons from history, especially the immediate history.

Pfft! Rubbish and fabrication. “One fine day a Summer doesn’t make” - Shakespeare. There’s a litany of games in which Buckley inspired brilliance from what many believed to be a sub standard team i.e. most of 2018 especially prelim against the all conquering Tigers, 2020 final against WC in WC under unprecedented conditions etc
Poor genius Clarko has had to pull that team together and keep them focused after all the on field and off field controversy and distractions, all of which were none of his doing…….oh, wait a minute

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:49 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Most likely some guy we've never heard of ^

(and if you're referring to Yze, i've heard him interviewed... twice... pass).

Wow! Thank goodness you’ll never be anywhere near the selection committee - prepared to pass on a bloke not on his undoubted coaching CV and ability but because of how he answered a few dumb questions from even dumber media over a few minutes……seriously?

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:33 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
If we're going for experience my only choice would be Clarko. I think we'd be better served by going with a recently retired (5 years or so) player who's experienced Premiership success or has served as an assistant under a Premiership coach. Recently retired not key but absolutely has to have been involved in a Premiership winning culture as player or assistant. Imho

Yeah, sure if Clarkson brought with him all the assistants, administrators, recruiters, list managers, etc that made his teams successful. The guy’s as overrated as an all you can eat buffet. Seriously, I could have coached the teams, comprised of the players he had, to 5 consecutive premierships!!! It’s paramount to being the coach of the Australian cricket team with Warne, McGrath, Waugh, Waugh, Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hussey, Johnson or even the Windies of the 70’s….you just sit back and take the plaudits for being a genius.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:45 am

You must know that's drivel - Clarkson dismantled a dominant Geelong team in 2008 with such a clever strategy that the AFL had to change the rules to counter it. Hawthorn wasn't the best team in 2008. It was a complete shock that they won. I don't know who the coach should be - but I don't think it's useful to deny Clarkson's obvious capability in that role.

I am persuaded, mostly, by the view that we should get an up-and-coming assistant rather than an established coach. The statistics others have quoted do suggest that's the more likely successful course but I don't think the debate is improved by people over-stating their positions in the way you have.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:27 pm

Said by Zed wrote:

Yeah, sure if Clarkson brought with him all the assistants, administrators, recruiters, list managers, etc that made his teams successful. The guy’s as overrated as an all you can eat buffet. Seriously, I could have coached the teams, comprised of the players he had, to 5 consecutive premierships!!! It’s paramount to being the coach of the Australian cricket team with Warne, McGrath, Waugh, Waugh, Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hussey, Johnson or even the Windies of the 70’s….you just sit back and take the plaudits for being a genius.

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's so funny.... as overrated as an all you can eat buffet!!

I agree with you though. IMHO, Clarko is obviously a talented coach, but that Hawks team could've coached themselves to their last two premierships.

I suspect also that the enormous incidental pressures associated with being Collingwood's coach would not appeal to Clarkson at all. He's had it very easy in comparison at Hawthorn in that regard.

He said he's not interested anyway, so don't know why people are wasting their energy considering him.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:45 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's so funny.... as overrated as an all you can eat buffet!!

I agree with you though. IMHO, Clarko is obviously a talented coach, but that Hawks team could've coached themselves to their last two premierships.

I suspect also that the enormous incidental pressures associated with being Collingwood's coach would not appeal to Clarkson at all. He's had it very easy in comparison at Hawthorn in that regard.

He said he's not interested anyway, so don't know why people are wasting their energy considering him.

Great point. Which experienced highly successful coach deemed worthy to take on the role would do it considering how much potential damage it could eventually do their reputation and CV? Unless of course there’s mucho mucho dinero or even $$$ involved…..but the soft cap (regarding footy department spend) will prevent this.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:03 pm

Again, its not like Clarko can say, "Yep, I'd love the job and would be outta here tomorrow if I could."

He has never saud, "no, I don't want the job." He has cleverly and reasonably avoided answering the question as asked.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:17 pm

Oh, I thought he said fairly clearly when asked about the Collingwood position, that he doesn’t intend going anywhere and fully intends to see out his contract. He got a bit narky about the question in fact Smile
Then again, the landscape can change very quickly and if the Hawks should indicate that they would prefer to replace him at the end of his contract, then he might just pull the pin before then anyway. Who knows I guess.
I still believe that he had a charmed run with the Hawks during the premiership years. Wink
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:39 pm

Said by Zed wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Most likely some guy we've never heard of ^

(and if you're referring to Yze, i've heard him interviewed... twice... pass).

Wow! Thank goodness you’ll never be anywhere near the selection committee - prepared to pass on a bloke not on his undoubted coaching CV and ability but because of how he answered a few dumb questions from even dumber media over a few minutes……seriously?

I'm glad I don't have to do that either to be honest (although I'm sure my final choice would pass even your hard marks in the end...). 1st impressions count for a lot, obviously.. im not in the know on Adam but from what he said... I wasn't impressed and you know the old saying, opinions are like... yeah well whatever.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:44 pm

I thought I would come at this from a different angle.
If you were Hawthorn, would you let Clarkson go ( bearing in mind, he is contracted until end of 2022 ) ??
If they let him go, they won’t be able to keep up with the membership cancellations. While they have made some poor list management decisions over the last couple years, Clarkson has more than enough credits banked away at Hawthorn.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:56 pm

Said by Zed wrote:

Great point. Which experienced highly successful coach deemed worthy to take on the role would do it considering how much potential damage it could eventually do their reputation and CV? Unless of course there’s mucho mucho dinero or even $$$ involved…..but the soft cap (regarding footy department spend) will prevent this.

You've a valid point here, I reckon Zed, one that I've been thinking about.

Firstly, the cost of appointing an experienced, previously successful coach. I believe the soft cap has been reduced because of Covid and to siphon enough $$ towards paying what a seasoned coach would demand, would greatly impact what was left for the rest of the footy department. (You would assume that Wright is already taking up a fair quotient of that too).
Paradoxically, my belief is that the team needs more than ever the steady, calm hand of an experienced coach, who is fully across the extreme demands and pressures of being a senior coach, especially one at Collingwood. Yet, if they are experienced, why would they look at Collingwood as being an attractive proposition in its current environment?
Also, I have heard there could be as many as 8 coaches coming out of contract at the end of 2022, creating a far wider choice for those senior coaches who wish to move on (and aspiring assistants as well). Many potential candidates might prefer to wait another year to make their moves?

So perhaps a highly motivated assistant coach with an extremely healthy self-belief and a burning desire to be a senior coach becomes the better option? Even then, I would have misgivings that they could be fully prepared for what would confront them, especially if they came from a stable club or one on an upward trajectory.

Whatever, it's out of our control, but it's sure going to be interesting....
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:06 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I thought I would come at this from a different angle.
If you were Hawthorn, would you let Clarkson go ( bearing in mind, he is contracted until end of 2022 ) ??
If they let him go, they won’t be able to keep up with the membership cancellations. While they have made some poor list management decisions over the last couple years, Clarkson has more than enough credits banked away at Hawthorn.

Yep, very crucial points I reckon.
The only very unlikely scenario that I could imagine would be Sam Mitchell saying he wants the Hawthorn job next year, otherwise he will walk and Hawthorn being prepared to meet his demands. Extremely unlikely I think that Mitchell would make such a demand and even more unlikely that Hawks would agree to it.
So, in turn, it all boils down to Clarkson not being an option for Collingwood full stop.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:14 pm

Peter Sumich has now “thrown his hat in the ring” - Usual tripe on foxsports however seems to want the job but also at the same time promotes Lyons’ claims and credentials for the gig. Maybe because they’re still close and doesn’t want to be openly seen as competing…..
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:36 pm

^10 years assistant at WCE and 10 years assistant at Freo and neither of them (or anyone else) saw fit to offer him the senior role
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:44 pm

^ On the other hand, he has first hand experience of what it takes to get a West Coast player to choke in front of goal against Collingwood in a big final. That must be worth something?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 16 of 158   

Jump to: