Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who will coach Collingwood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want as our next coach?
Ross Lyon
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Alistair Clarkson
24%
 24%  [ 43 ]
Brad Scott
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Mark Williams
19%
 19%  [ 34 ]
Michael Voss
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Adem Yze or Sam Mitchell
19%
 19%  [ 35 ]
Blake Caracella
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Scott Burns
8%
 8%  [ 15 ]
Craig McRae
11%
 11%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 178

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
There is no moving on with the insanity of Nathan Buckley even being in the picture. We are an utter asylum of an organisation.

You don't need convoluted arguments to turf someone after a decade of sub-par performance in any organisation anywhere on the planet — except perhaps in the North Korean Workers' Party.

There has been no mysterious alien interference distorting outcomes; no special pair of lenses is needed to interpret the decade; and most certainly no one associated with the club has been playing magical 9D chess that others just can't grasp. This lot do well just to put a shoe on the right foot of a morning.

We are officially a basket case of cringeworthy nutters. Others were never in doubt, but this sorry business should convince even the most one-eyed devotees.

Buckley has arguably been more successful than several other highly acclaimed coaches who have had far more to work with and far less to deal with. Hinkley has been at Port for 9 years with no GF appearances and middle tier finishes. For some reason he is perceived as a genius coach and idolised in SA. Similarly, Leon Cameron has been at GWS since inception and apart from 1 dismal embarrassing absolute failure of a GF has only had very average success, still they’re happy to keep extending his contract. Chris Scott who inherited a dynasty got a premiership in his first year and lost last years GF to a beatable Tigers outfit has had the easiest run of all in his 11 years at the Cats and has achieved practically nothing. All have had more talent and quality players to coach and almost zero off field distractions to derail their seasons. None of these 3 are put through the same scrutiny and degradation as Buckley.
Now I’m not a Buckley devotee - in fact if there’s a better option out there capable of bringing us success I’m all for change and sooner rather than later….but until there is I’ll stick fat with our coach ‘Side by Side’. I’m sure GW is aware of all this and will be party to the most appropriate decision for the club.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:46 am

Said by Zed wrote:
Hinkley has been at Port for 9 years with no GF appearances and middle tier finishes. For some reason he is perceived as a genius coach and idolised in SA. Similarly, Leon Cameron has been at GWS since inception and apart from 1 dismal embarrassing absolute failure of a GF has only had very average success, still they’re happy to keep extending his contract. Chris Scott who inherited a dynasty got a premiership in his first year and lost last years GF to a beatable Tigers outfit has had the easiest run of all in his 11 years at the Cats and has achieved practically nothing. ...

Don't agree that they are perceived that way. Loudmouth Koch was always threatening to sack Hinkley. Last year gave Hinkley some security.

Dunno anyone who reckons Cameron is a great coach. He's on thin ice.

There's a huge gap in perception of Scott inside and outside Geebung. Outside (Cats supporters), they are pretty critical of him. Inside (Cats admin), they are very happy with him.

Caro tossed up his name as a possible coach Collingwood might be in to. Shocked
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:22 am

Said by Zed wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
There is no moving on with the insanity of Nathan Buckley even being in the picture. We are an utter asylum of an organisation.

You don't need convoluted arguments to turf someone after a decade of sub-par performance in any organisation anywhere on the planet — except perhaps in the North Korean Workers' Party.

There has been no mysterious alien interference distorting outcomes; no special pair of lenses is needed to interpret the decade; and most certainly no one associated with the club has been playing magical 9D chess that others just can't grasp. This lot do well just to put a shoe on the right foot of a morning.

We are officially a basket case of cringeworthy nutters. Others were never in doubt, but this sorry business should convince even the most one-eyed devotees.

Buckley has arguably been more successful than several other highly acclaimed coaches who have had far more to work with and far less to deal with. Hinkley has been at Port for 9 years with no GF appearances and middle tier finishes. For some reason he is perceived as a genius coach and idolised in SA. Similarly, Leon Cameron has been at GWS since inception and apart from 1 dismal embarrassing absolute failure of a GF has only had very average success, still they’re happy to keep extending his contract. Chris Scott who inherited a dynasty got a premiership in his first year and lost last years GF to a beatable Tigers outfit has had the easiest run of all in his 11 years at the Cats and has achieved practically nothing. All have had more talent and quality players to coach and almost zero off field distractions to derail their seasons. None of these 3 are put through the same scrutiny and degradation as Buckley.

Have some self-esteem there, man.

There is no 'degradation' or unwarranted scrutiny here, and no one cares if some other average Joe somewhere is underrated or admired by someone who once dined with Leigh Matthews and almost won something once.

And let's not make poor Graeme Wright the 'messiah's messiah' burdened with the impossible task of raising the old messiah from the dead. Way to set someone up for failure. He might be a top boke, he might be competent, he might be god knows. We know as much about Graeme Wright as the dark side of the moon. Fingers crossed, of course, but to burden the bloke with the presidency and coaching roles as well is hardly fair.

Moving Bucks along is a standard, vanilla, commonplace organisational decision. It's not personal, it's not radical, it's not emotional. Bucks is a sunk cost. It happens. And you don't keep throwing good money after bad to fix mistakes like letting Eddie and Bucks run on to the point that they were forced to burn the floorboards to hang on. Okay, it's done now. Take the lessons and get the wide-headed broom out.

If you think the scrutiny now is bad, it's only going to get ten times worse. The longer this lasts and the more the coach becomes enmeshed with the politics, all because no one had the leadership ability to rein him in and no one now has the leadership ability to get it done, the uglier things are going to get. It's simply untenable.

As I say, we're a basket case of crazies. Our level of dissociation is so great that moving on from a 20-year presidency and a 10-year unsuccessful coaching tenure is seen as 'controversial'. A club so addicted to controversy it even turns a non-controversy into a Festival of Controversy.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 am

pietillidie wrote:
Said by Zed wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Have some self-esteem there, man.

There is no 'degradation' or unwarranted scrutiny here, and no one cares if some other average Joe somewhere is underrated or admired by someone who once dined with Leigh Matthews and almost won something once.

And let's not make poor Graeme Wright the 'messiah's messiah' burdened with the impossible task of raising the old messiah from the dead. Way to set someone up for failure. He might be a top boke, he might be competent, he might be god knows. We know as much about Graeme Wright as the dark side of the moon. Fingers crossed, of course, but to burden the bloke with the presidency and coaching roles as well is hardly fair.

Moving Bucks along is a standard, vanilla, commonplace organisational decision. It's not personal, it's not radical, it's not emotional. Bucks is a sunk cost. It happens. And you don't keep throwing good money after bad to fix mistakes like letting Eddie and Bucks run on to the point that they were forced to burn the floorboards to hang on. Okay, it's done now. Take the lessons and get the wide-headed broom out.

If you think the scrutiny now is bad, it's only going to get ten times worse. The longer this lasts and the more the coach becomes enmeshed with the politics, all because no one had the leadership ability to rein him in and no one now has the leadership ability to get it done, the uglier things are going to get. It's simply untenable.

As I say, we're a basket case of crazies. Our level of dissociation is so great that moving on from a 20-year presidency and a 10-year unsuccessful coaching tenure is seen as 'controversial'. A club so addicted to controversy it even turns a non-controversy into a Festival of Controversy.

Self-esteem? Uh? How does what I think of myself have anything to do with the Collingwood Football Club and the aptitude of our coach?

Anyway, sometimes desperation and frustration causes usually rational people to ignore the facts and create their own rationalisation hoping that any change will bring them relief and justification….sound and appropriate business decisions are not founded on emotion or sentiment - that’s why I gave several examples of current ‘industry policy’ and correlated it against the Pies current situation.

As stated, I do not have a preference for Bucks over anyone else, and if there was someone available who could deliver I’d be the first to say ‘pull the trigger’. But reality is, as hard as it is for some to accept, is that the ‘dice were loaded from the start’ against Bucks and continual off field distractions have plagued his tenure which, to his credit, others may not have been able to come through with such aplomb. Which coach from any successful team in the history of the AFL has had to deal with continual destabilising matters such as multiple drug related issues, betting scandals, sexual assault dramas, salary and list mismanagement, intrinsic racism, unprecedented injury frequency rate, media driven scandals, administration inadequacy and delinquency etc etc. None. All these things have an effect on team on-field performance - How can the coach possibly be held accountable? Conversely, how could the appointment of a new coach rectify all these matters now and in the future, irrespective of how long the encumbent has been there?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:35 pm

pietillidie wrote:

This.

You've articulated it so well.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:26 pm

Looking at it from the outside from someone who's a Collingwood supporter I see a need to move to a whole new coaching panel at the end of the year. However the one conducting the review, Graham Wright, is an ex-premiership player who was part of a successful era at the Hawthorn football club. He has far greater insight into the football department than I do. All I'd like to see is that the decisions that are made in relation to the positions of people who work in the football department are made without political interference by the board.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:52 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
because he's a serial narcissist - watch any after game presser and the evidence is undeniable - I cannot once over ten years remember a time where Nathan has take any responsibility for a loss. Like ever.

With respect Wolf, failure to admit "It was my fault" in a press conference after the loss of a football game does not qualify as a symptom of narcissism.
Wink

Maybe as a once off but tens years of it?

I’m tipping GW can also count to 10 - so reappointment will have gutted your theory.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:14 pm

Barker had the decency and guts to quit the scum today.
Hope Harvey and Sanderson take note and do the honorable thing.

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:50 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
People see what they want to see with Bucks. For some he's a failure after a decade in the role, with our current ladder position proof of this. For others, he has been a very good coach, building a side to contend for flags 2018-2020, but now, due to disastrous list management, beyond his control, he is slowly building a new side around a host of young players.

Despite leaning toward the latter viewpoint, I have come to the position where I'm prepared to acknowledge that it may well be time to freshen up things with a new coach, with a new voice. However, it may be that this can be achieved by bringing in new assistants. Ultimately, I'll be supportive of whatever recommendation Graeme Wright makes to our Board. At the end of the day, none of us supporters, me included, have enough information, knowledge or understanding to make such a crucial decision.

You can chose to see facts over spin if you like, which most people don’t. Buckley made a grand final in 2018. Fact. He also took over a team that won 22 of 25 games after a flag the previous year, to then take the club 3 years later to 11th, 12th, 12th & 13th. Fact. Fast forward 4 years later and the club is sitting 16th at the half way mark. Fact. The downward spiral of this club was in full motion prior to today’s salary cap issues. Those who are happy with that trend, by all means support Buckley all the way.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:13 pm

Cruisinwithdids wrote:
Those who are happy with that trend, by all means support Buckley all the way.

Thanks for the permission to support Buckley. That is awesome 🤩 and I will happily take it on knowing that I have your full consent to do so.👍🏽🤛🏽👏🏽

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:15 pm

Lazza wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:

Thanks for the permission to support Buckley. That is awesome 🤩 and I will happily take it on knowing that I have your full consent to do so.👍🏽🤛🏽👏🏽

My pleasure good sir.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:15 am

RudeBoy wrote:
People see what they want to see with Bucks

Do go on...

RudeBoy wrote:
For some he's a failure after a decade in the role, with our current ladder position proof of this. For others, he has been a very good coach

Interesting. Where do you stand?

RudeBoy wrote:
building a side to contend for flags 2018-2020

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'd support a 1 year extension if the board thinks so

Half pregnant... what is he going to achieve in 1 more year that he hasn't in the last 10? Give him 3 years or piss him off

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:23 am

Yes if he is to win a flag with what shortly will be devoid of experience via age attrition & then left with a young football group one year is certain not enough

But who ever would replace Nathan has same group to mount a challenge for one

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:23 pm

Lazza wrote:
Cruisinwithdids wrote:

I trust the hounds on here, who have run him down and baited Bucks for yrs, are now happy, they got what they wanted. I wonder how long they will give the next poor bastard who takes us over. ? As for Wright, i would have preferred him as our chief recruting officer, the position he held at the hawks, and did so very well at it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 2 of 158   

Jump to: