Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley has stepped down

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the recent “I don’t think I’ve lost the players -but it’s harder to connect “
statement tell us anything
I think it did and it was Bucks preparing us for this decision

He said he didn’t believe he had lost players but that’s his ego speaking

Hard to connect——that’s an out

But that said it’s a sad end to his football at Collingwood

DT 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:50 am

Streak wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
Not happy about Harvey. Personally I would like Lyon in ASAP.

I sincerely hope it's not Lyon. I don't understand the fascination with the guy.

He strikes me as a bit of a grifter who's talked his way into some decent jobs to achieve very little in any of them.

I won't stop supporting the club if we sign Lyon, but I can't see myself ever supporting Lyon.

My no.1 would be Clarkson but I rate Chris Scott very highly. Lyon is a definite no from me

BEAMER09 

Streak wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
Not happy about Harvey. Personally I would like Lyon in ASAP.

I sincerely hope it's not Lyon. I don't understand the fascination with the guy.

He strikes me as a bit of a grifter who's talked his way into some decent jobs to achieve very little in any of them.

I won't stop supporting the club if we sign Lyon, but I can't see myself ever supporting Lyon.

Just like I didn't understand the fascination with Buckley for 10 years...

themonk 

He gave everything as a player and the club couldn't build around him.

Similar to his coaching days, he was always 1-2 players away from a flag and had to watch prized recruits go elsewhere whilst we stuffed up our list.

Thanks Bucks, a true Collingwood legend.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:51 am

Sad day. For all his detractors, Bucks is a champion of the club, and had some impressive years as a senior coach.

Obviously, this year has been less impressive. I think there's a greater story to tell, there - I think the real story of 2021 is a faithful clubman being asked, yet again, to eat a sh*t sandwich for the club.

Many on this board will cheer the announcement. Ironically, many of those vocally calling for Bucks' ouster are the same voices whose bleating resulted in Bucks being catapulted into the top job when the team was the strongest it's been in decades. The only way to go was down.

I wish Bucks all the best, in his professional and personal life. Time to sock away some big bucks from the media outlets. I hope he returns to the coaching caper, eventually. I'm convinced he will one day win that elusive flag. Sadly, not with Collingwood.
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:51 am
Post subject: Bucks goneReply with quote

nulla wrote:
Nick Maxwell should step in for remainder.

I am one of the few that am very sad to see the way that this has gone. Bucks is not one to give up a fight. He was pushed no doubt.
The situation at Carlton where they may be looking for a new coach has probably pushed the board to make an early call so that they can get in first. Or they are probably just saving their asses.

I am very sad for Bucks and I thank him for being so stoic through some really hard times. He will always be a Collingwood great.
Floreat Pica.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:53 am

Head coach replacement is John Barker from Carlton.
He is expected to bring his finals experience and winning culture to Collingwood
selkevh 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 am

If we don’t get Scott, Clarkson or Lyon, I guess we’re going for an untried coach?

Great.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:55 am

woodys_world69 wrote:
Head coach replacement is John Barker from Carlton.
He is expected to bring his finals experience and winning culture to Collingwood

That certainly worked at Carlton...

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:56 am

As much as I've argued the case against Buckley being re-signed even I could possibly see a way forward for Buckley if he could get us playing better football over the last 10 rounds and snare 5 wins. As I posted last night we should see ourselves as a realistic chance in 6 of those 10 games.

Well fair to say I didn't see this announcement coming today and was hopeful Buckley would see out the season at the very least.

Only can only imagine he either sought to bring the decision over his coaching tenure to a head and decided to walk after receiving no assurances or was informed he wouldn't be re-contracted so doesn't feel like he can continue under those circumstances.

Whether you agree with the outcome or not at least we've got clean air now, a decisive decision has been made and we can get a jump start on finding a new coach should Carlton also be in the market.

Where this leaves Jeff Browne now is a great unknown as you feel Korda might well have just snookered him.

While it didn't turn out the way we all hoped Bucks we thank you for your 25 years of service to Collingwood and being a true legend of the football club.

All the best for your future endeavours.

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

Whether you liked him as a coach or not, he gave his all for the Club.
He deserved the 2018 Flag. So bloody close.
Thanks Bucks, always a Magpie Legend!

Last edited by the fuzz on Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

email from the club. I personally think he's made the right call but I wont be doing cartwheels over it.

Hi ,

With hearts heavy Nathan Buckley and Collingwood have agreed to part ways.

After almost 10 seasons and 217 matches in charge, Buckley will coach the team for the last time next Monday when Collingwood meets Melbourne at the SCG.

“Everything has it’s time and the club and I have reached ours,” Buckley said.

“Graham (Wright) and I have been in conversation consistently in the last few months about what the path forward is for the program and what it needs to progress.

“When it came to the senior coaching role it became clear that a clean slate, for new energies and a new voice, was necessary. So that is what has been decided.

“I’ve loved every moment of my time at the club and in any role I have given my all to it. This program is full of so many great people who are committed and connected to one another absolutely.

“I’ll miss being a part of that but will always feel like a part of me is left with them. I sincerely wish all of the staff, coaches and players every success.”

Collingwood ceo Mark Anderson paid tribute to Buckley’s near three decades of service to Collingwood and especially his commitment to always place the interests of the club first.

“True greatness doesn’t depend on how long or how much or how many but on the legacy of those things. What they stand for. And to Collingwood people Nathan Buckley stands for just about everything they want the black and white striped jumper to represent,” Anderson said.

“This is a tough day for our club. While we can all see the wisdom in moving on, we know that he will be missed. He is a towering figure in the history of Collingwood.

“Our discussions were all based around what was good for the club and for Nathan, who reminded us all, regularly, that Collingwood had to come first. That is one of the many reasons why he will be forever Collingwood. On behalf of our club, I thank him.”

Collingwood GM of Football, Graham Wright, added his thanks.

“Nathan is a person of the highest quality, with great morals and values. In all of our discussions he was only ever interested in ‘the best thing for the football club’ and once we were both clear on that we had further discussions with Mark (Anderson) and the board to finalize how and when was the best time,” Wright said.

“On behalf of the entire club, I want to acknowledge and thank him for his selflessness and utter decency.”

After the match against Melbourne, Robert Harvey will succeed Buckley as interim senior coach for the remainder of the season.

A five person panel will have responsibility for the process of appointing a permanent successor. The panel will consist of Mark Anderson, Graham Wright, football director Paul Licuria and fellow board member Peter Murphy.

The fifth member, who is yet to be appointed, will be an experienced football person who has previously been involved in the selection of senior coaches.

Buckley’s contribution to Collingwood as a player and coach is one that few – and none in the modern era – have bettered.

He played 260 matches for the club, winning six Copeland Trophies, Brownlow and Norm Smith medals and seven All-Australian blazers. He captained the club for nine seasons.

There is no more decorated Collingwood playing career.

Buckley retired at the end the 2007 season and spent two seasons in the media before returning to the club as an assistant coach in preparation for his appointment as senior coach from 2012.

He led Collingwood through five finals campaigns and into the 2018 grand final. He won 116 of the 217 matches he coached, with a winning record of 54 per cent.

In all, Buckley played or coached in 477 matches for Collingwood.

There will be a press conference at 11am today where you can follow it live here.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:01 pm

A Legend, he gave his all for the Magpies, and was cruelly robbed of a flag by an appalling umpire decision in 2018 GF. Im bit flat to be honest, feel for him. Thanks Bucks, for all you did, you stand tall in my eyes, a real man.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:05 pm

About time, sad ending but had to be done!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:05 pm

This sounds like a sacking.

Club will dress it up as a “parting of ways”.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 4 of 25   

Jump to: