Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win thriller. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Keep playing him in the guts. Don't play him in the forward line again.

He has to break some bad habits. He ranks last in average metres gained on the list (excluding players who haven't played for played 2 games).

For comparison, a midfielder should get 300 - 400m gained. Brown averages less than 100.
Lord Maximus Farquaad Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:03 pm

mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:
As i watched Callum brown play yet another useless game

Can I clarify please, are you sure you were watching Collingwood vs. Adelaide, Saturday 5 June at the Adelaide Oval?
Brown's served us some crap this year but Saturday afternoon he was definitely a contributor.

I've been one of his harshest critics, but I was impressed with his Adelaide game. Let's hope he continues on with this form.

As one of. Down most ardent critics, IF he were actually capable of NOT. Sing caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet

A sign would be helpful if it explained what you just said.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:04 pm

Lord Maximus Farquaad wrote:
mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Can I clarify please, are you sure you were watching Collingwood vs. Adelaide, Saturday 5 June at the Adelaide Oval?
Brown's served us some crap this year but Saturday afternoon he was definitely a contributor.

I've been one of his harshest critics, but I was impressed with his Adelaide game. Let's hope he continues on with this form.

As one of. Down most ardent critics, IF he were actually capable of NOT. Sing caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet

Even google translate didn't help.
Lord Maximus Farquaad Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:09 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Even google translate didn't help.

All I can say in response to Mudlark is that no sidewindin' bushwackin' hornswogglin' cracker croaker is gonna rowl my bishen cutter.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 pm

Quote:

Translation: As one of Brown's most ardent critics, if he were actually capable of not getting caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet.

All I can say in response to Mudlark is that no sidewindin' bushwackin' hornswogglin' cracker croaker is gonna rowl my bishen cutter.

Translation: Absolutely no idea.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:18 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
Quote:

Translation: As one of Brown's most ardent critics, if he were actually capable of not getting caught every time he gets the ball, I may change my mind, but there’s no signs as yet.

Translation: Absolutely no idea.

The fun police have arrived.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:23 pm

Well I thought it was funny.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 pm

mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:

Ah yes. The curse of the preemptive. “As one of Browns most ardent critics “ and the second one should be “Capable of NOT GETTING caught “. Substitute those and it may, or may not, make sense.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Couldn’t help but notice how the interstate clubs have been able to draw on the form of all their listed players. All non selected players have still been playing in their state league affiliated clubs over the past couple weeks.
It’s a huge disadvantage to all the Vic clubs who can’t get any time into those who weren’t picked to play seniors. It’s the world we live in but it’s very difficult to develop players when aren’t playing footy. We really need the VFL up and running again much sooner than later.

It's an incredible handicap. We've had 12 months of development of Rantall and Bianco already at the club last year destroyed. Then you add the players we drafted at the end of last year - McInnes, McCrae and Henry. They played no junior football at all last year and come into a club that isn't able to play them in the VFL. And what are we supposed to do with Ash Johnson. Can he keep playing for Sturt?

The get-around is to play them in the seniors! Exclamation Shocked
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:52 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Keep playing him in the guts. Don't play him in the forward line again.

He has to break some bad habits. He ranks last in average metres gained on the list (excluding players who haven't played for played 2 games).

For comparison, a midfielder should get 300 - 400m gained. Brown averages less than 100.

I'm not challenging people's well-placed criticisms of Brown.
Based on much of this years form he should be playing for Donvale and not Collingwood.

I do, however, question the value of the metres gained metric.
Brown played 12 more minutes of football than the player he replaced - Sier.
Brown had -17 metres gained and Sier had +31.
Does this mean Sier had a better game than Brown? Does it mean that he contributed more to the win? Absolutely not.
Brown had 7 more disposals, 3 more tackles, 2 more clearances and a goal assist.
As such, I'm not too sure how much we should focus on this particular, somewhat imprecise, metric.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2017/03/28/stats-enough-metres-gained-irrelevant/
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:00 am

Yes statistics can be misleading

Other week, Mayne had the highest metres gained, but only because he kicks it 40 metres across the backline, then he gets it back.. runs 10 metres because he is now free in no man's land, then kicks it 40 metres across the ground again. Never seen him take the game on all the way.

Brown gets the hardball, flicks it backwards to a loose player -3 metres gained.

Not defending Brown per se, who played his best game this year. But I did figure prior to the game that he was experienced and well practised at being the sub.

Siers role served him well. But let's be realistic, Adams will return and Callums other roles need time in the ressies.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 am

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
Yes statistics can be misleading

Other week, Mayne had the highest metres gained, but only because he kicks it 40 metres across the backline, then he gets it back.. runs 10 metres because he is now free in no man's land, then kicks it 40 metres across the ground again. Never seen him take the game on all the way.

Brown gets the hardball, flicks it backwards to a loose player -3 metres gained.

Not defending Brown per se, who played his best game this year. But I did figure prior to the game that he was experienced and well practised at being the sub.

Siers role served him well. But let's be realistic, Adams will return and Callums other roles need time in the ressies.

Kicks across the ground are not metres gained.

We have such a low benchmark for Callum......at 50+ games, his output needs to be more.
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:36 am

What'sinaname wrote:
We have such a low benchmark for Callum......at 50+ games, his output needs to be more.

Callum Brown now has 61 games to his name, the same number his father had played at the start of the 1990 season.

Over the next 18 games Gavin Brown was a key component of a premiership winning team, I'm not expecting the same level from the son of Rowdy.

Interesting stat though, and yes we need more output from Callum.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm

Born to Pie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

Callum Brown now has 61 games to his name, the same number his father had played at the start of the 1990 season.

Over the next 18 games Gavin Brown was a key component of a premiership winning team, I'm not expecting the same level from the son of Rowdy.

Interesting stat though, and yes we need more output from Callum.

Lol, by Gavin's 50th game thereabouts, has was already BOG in the 1989 Vic vs. SA match at the MCG. Saw it with my own eyes from MCC members stand.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:08 pm

Yes, he has the EJ Whitten Medal to show for it - and a Copeland Trophy at the end of the 1989 season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18   

Jump to: