Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#39 Aiden Begg

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Beggs second efforts and ground balls in particular, are as good as anyone near 200cm.
Possibly a bit undersized as a front line ruckman, so any thoughts as a key position player would require a lot of work on his agility and endurance.
I think Steene is the better pure ruckman, so he’s another one worth keeping for a couple more seasons at least. He’s also very comfortable going forward.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:29 pm

I agree with that Rude, played very well in the twos win today. I was very impressed with his poise, and also the development of Steene too.

Not a Phil Jackson [the basketball player] anymore, starting to believe that he might be playing next year as a rotation. *Might* be becoming like a Michael Gardiner [west coast] type.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:46 pm

Yea. In particular, I noticed his intensity has shot up. Instead of just performing his role, he is starting to have presence and influence whenever he is near it. Really good skills for a big man.

Last week, I watched Steene, great hands but still raw. Excellent natural core attributes to develop.

It did occur to me that Steene and Begg could become a complementary duo in the future.
npalm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:16 am

He played exceptionally well yesterday, but looking at his stats for the season it was one out of the box. He took 6 marks. His average for the season is only one mark per game. Likewise he kicked 3 goals yesterday but he has only kicked 6 for the rest of the season.

There's a lot to like about him, but at 197cm he is too short to make it as an AFL ruckman and not a good enough mark to make it as a key forward\back.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:32 am

npalm wrote:
He played exceptionally well yesterday, but looking at his stats for the season it was one out of the box. He took 6 marks. His average for the season is only one mark per game. Likewise he kicked 3 goals yesterday but he has only kicked 6 for the rest of the season.

There's a lot to like about him, but at 197cm he is too short to make it as an AFL ruckman and not a good enough mark to make it as a key forward\back.

He's only 20.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:09 pm

The fact that Steene and Begg are playing in tandem adds to the future chemistry they may have if Senior selected. Sounds a tad odd but would love to see Begg trialed on the Wing post Steele. Has the athletic chops and prowess.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:50 pm

^

Nah, not wing, play him true CHF.

We actually have quite a tall forward line in the VFL now everyone is fit. Begg and Steene, with kreuger and Ash plus Reef as a leading FF. Great opportunity to learn both ruck and forward craft.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:09 am

Feel if this kid works hard at his craft we could have a key position forward in the near future
Boot 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:42 pm

I don't think there is any doubt that for Aiden Begg to realize his full potential as a regular AFL player he has to be developed as a Key Position player as he'll never be able to sustain a career as a ruckman at the top level, given he is relatively short for a ruckman. i.e. most AFL ruckmen are already 203 cm at least and that minimum height is getting bigger every year. There's a reason why Mason Cox is getting a game at 211 cm and the club was pleased to sign Alex Condon as a Cat B Rookie who is 212 cm and will be a potential starter at the club if his basketball career in the USA doesn't work out.
I was hoping Begg would have a breakout year this year, but he was cruelled by injury for the first half of the year, so maybe next year will be his time to break into the bigtime. From a succession planning view point I would be looking to Begg as the future replacement of Brody Mihocek who has been holding up the Collingwood forward line with herculean efforts for the last 4 years despite his relative undersize height of just 192 cm, but has been able to be super competitive due to being built like a Brick Outhouse and having a super tank that enables him to continually run to contests and has developed a skill set that makes him a potential premiership CHF i.e. kicks a lot of goals from difficult positions.
Begg would be well advised to base his game on what Brody Mihocek does. Mihocek is a similar size and playing style to Dermott Brereton and those type of players tend to drop off the cliff pretty quickly when the end comes so at 31 by the time the 2024 season starts Mihocek may only have another two seasons left in him so Begg's opportunity to replace him is coming at an ideal time given Begg will be 22 or 23 by the time Mihocek is likely to be fading from the AFL team.
For him to do that he needs to increase his contested marking ability and probably his endurance as well.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:58 pm

Well their are wise heads running the show in our footy department

I would suspect if they are doing their job correctly they will be monitoring his progress with a future key forward role in mind

There are others who will go with him to an AFL career in our two,s or follow close after

Least wise I hope so

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:49 pm

Look, I’m usually very optimistic about all our recruits wanting them all to shine and be the star player we can look forward to taking us to the ultimate prize….unfortunately Begg will never be that player. He is just so far off his contemporaries I feel he’ll never make it as a dominate or at best serviceable AFL standard player. Just doesn’t have any attributes worthy of persisting with…project/list clogger. Delist ASAP. There’s so many quality players out there who are routinely over-looked by the so called ‘experts’…look deeper and harder Pies…forget the hype and spin.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:29 pm

^

Who are these contemporaries you compare him against?

He's 20. Most Ruckmen don't start coming good until mid 20's, similar with KP players.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Who are these contemporaries you compare him against?

He's 20. Most Ruckmen don't start coming good until mid 20's, similar with KP players.

Firstly, Begg is no ruckman nor will he ever be in the AFL. Under sized, under strengthed, under developed and out gunned for this position nowadays (sorry just being realistic here)

Secondly, although I also hope every draftee we pick up will be a superstar or at least serviceable most won’t. Reality.

Thirdly, as a Key Forward….for starters how’s this for contemporaries?

Van Rooyen (20) 193cm 96kg
Mitch Georgiades (21) 192cm 91kg
Mitch Owens (19) 191cm 91kg
Anthony Cominiti (19) 196cm 85kg
Joe Amiss (20) 196cm 86kg
Josh Treacy (21) 195cm 92kg
De Koning (20) 204cm 97kg
Aaron Cadman (19) 195cm 93kg
Riley Tilthorpe (21) 202cm 103kg
Logan McDonald (21) 195cm 95kg
Jack Williams (19) 198cm 99kg

Honourable mentions (all of whom were miles ahead at same age and time in the system)
Mitch Lewis
Josh Koschitzke
Nick Larkey
Todd Marshall
Darcy Fogarty
Eric Hipwood
Jake Riccardi

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:56 pm

he's not a key forward, never has been, but he's a 2nd ruck who can play key forward when resting. Comparing him to same age players who were drafted as key forwards just sets him up to fail.

Apart from Luke Jackson who's in a category of his own, how many 20 year old Rucks are playing AFL?

he has a good leap, has put on size and strength, follows up well at ground level, in my view there's a lot to work with there.

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
he's not a key forward, never has been, but he's a 2nd ruck who can play key forward when resting. Comparing him to same age players who were drafted as key forwards just sets him up to fail.

Apart from Luke Jackson who's in a category of his own, how many 20 year old Rucks are playing AFL?

he has a good leap, has put on size and strength, follows up well at ground level, in my view there's a lot to work with there.

Can’t tell you how much I hope so….however you know when you see a player and right away you know whether he’s either got it or he doesn’t…he doesn’t I’m afraid. My opinion only for whatever that’s worth.

Again, hope I’m wrong and wish him every success….but my gut says ‘Nah’

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: