Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mid season draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

robevpau1 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the fundamental reason for the mid-year draft was to select a player to instantly replace a listed player on the long-term injury list. So why can Clubs select players who are currently injured and unable to fill a vacancy in the short term? Defeats the whole purpose me-thinks. Just asking ....
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:50 pm

robevpau1 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the fundamental reason for the mid-year draft was to select a player to instantly replace a listed player on the long-term injury list. So why can Clubs actually select players who are currently injured and who are unable to fill the vacancy in the short term? Defeats the whole purpose. Just asking .... (Double Post)

This is undoubtedly the AFLs original intent for the MSD. The reality however is far from it.

Clubs at the pointy end may consider a mature replacement for an injury hole, however you'd think the depth of a top team is enough to cover, and be better than a player outside the AFL system...

There is no incentive for clubs who are not finals bound to take a mature age or recycled player... they have the top picks, so treat it like a mini rookie draft and take what they see as the best available young talent that fills a need.

While the MSD is sold by the AFL as a top up for LTI, it is anything but.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:35 pm

^ ^ ^

And soon to be renamed the Mid Season Ruckman Draft.

Why invest heavily in a long term ruck prospect in the N D when you can take a chance on a ruckman for next to nothing in the M S D.
All a club has to do is offer the ruckman the same benefits and remuneration ( if required ) in the M S D they would receive from being selected in the N D.
The North example of taking Edwards is case in point. They desperately need a replacement for Goldstein, so by taking Edwards in the M S D, they have now banked that pick away for the next best player in the N D.
Ahh, the wonderful rewards that come with sustained mediocrity.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm

^ To be fair, North is so bad that they are not sure whether they will reach "mediocrity" with their next 5-year plan.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:53 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the fundamental reason for the mid-year draft was to select a player to instantly replace a listed player on the long-term injury list. So why can Clubs actually select players who are currently injured and who are unable to fill the vacancy in the short term? Defeats the whole purpose. Just asking .... (Double Post)

This is undoubtedly the AFLs original intent for the MSD. The reality however is far from it.

Clubs at the pointy end may consider a mature replacement for an injury hole, however you'd think the depth of a top team is enough to cover, and be better than a player outside the AFL system...

There is no incentive for clubs who are not finals bound to take a mature age or recycled player... they have the top picks, so treat it like a mini rookie draft and take what they see as the best available young talent that fills a need.

While the MSD is sold by the AFL as a top up for LTI, it is anything but.

Absolutely correct.

The other thing is that there was no football in Victoria last season. No VFL or TAC so Victorian youngsters had no recent exposed form to be used when drafting them.

The rucks and talls selected from Victoria have at least been able to get on the park this year and show some stuff, many of them would have been high selections in this years end of season draft. So if you have list places available, why not grab someone now that you think you're unlikely to be able to get then?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:47 pm

For some reason the Welcome Ash Johnson page is blocked, so I'll post this here.

Jeez, I hope we rush this kid straight into our side. We need an injection of excitement. Having Johnson, McCreery, Elliott, Mihocek and De Goey would provide a lot of unpredictability and movement on our forward line.

FFS, we need something new.....and we need it now!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:52 pm

^ A new coach would be just dandy.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ A new coach would be just dandy.

Bingo Cool

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:08 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
For some reason the Welcome Ash Johnson page is blocked, so I'll post this here.

Jeez, I hope we rush this kid straight into our side. We need an injection of excitement. Having Johnson, McCreery, Elliott, Mihocek and De Goey would provide a lot of unpredictability and movement on our forward line.

FFS, we need something new.....and we need it now!

Agree, the front six ( I struggle to call it a forward line ) should look a bit better after the bye.
I reckon we will see Johnson straight in after the bye. He probably needs about two weeks of match sim and he should be good to go. You’d also want Cameron to keep improving because I can’t see us finding anyone else as a 200cm KPF who would be ready to go in 2022. Add the class of either Daicos in the front half and at least we have a number of scoring options at our disposal next year.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:24 am

What numbers will boys get
Only 39 -40–42 & 45 unused with Cox the last on 46

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:25 am

Oops sorry 42 always vacant
My apologies

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:25 am

Only 39 -40–42 & 45 unused with Cox the last on 46

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:04 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Only 39, 40 & 45 unused with Cox the last on 46

Was thinking about this earlier.

I think Ash will get 39 and Begg 40.

But next year that will probably change when other numbers become available.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:23 pm

Presti35 wrote:
I think Ash will get 39 and Begg 40.

My guess was the wrong way around. Laughing

I'm still guessing both may be in different numbers in 2022 tho.

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:54 pm

Listening to Begg’s interview it sounds like the club was always going to take him at Pick 18 with Hine calling him after Pick 13. Probably means Callow was never really in the picture at Collingwood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24   

Jump to: