Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mid season draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:
We take Aiden Begg.

Described as a forward-ruck.

Happy with that, 197 forward, part time ruck, out for this year with a shoulder, looking to next season.

Agree. And he’s possibly the tall we had our eye on in the upcoming National draft.
Why not get him now while we have a pick. We won’t have one in the N D.
He’s an eastern ranges kid. His best has been good but he drifts in out very easily. That’s fine, he’s only 18. Pretty sure it’s actually a full reco but they generally strengthen your shoulder better than ever.

Like your optimism. I was hoping for someone who could play now. Don’t mind Ash Johnson though. That was a difficult choice when you had Moyle available.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:09 pm

Haff wrote:
We took a forward. Check. Then we take a $�$%^%%$ ruckman who’s out for the year when we need mids?

We arent winning much at all this year, let alone the flag. He’s much more a forward than a ruckman.
Later this year we draft in the best mid fielder in the country and we have no picks left. So why not draft in the tall you have your eye on now in the knowledge that you wouldn’t have the pick to secure him in the National draft anyway.
The decision was smart enough but now we have to wait three years to see if he can play.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:10 pm

Not a whole heap in Begg’s highlights to show that he’s a fwd. time will tell I guess. Interesting that only 4 players are still on AFL lists from the last mid season draft.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Freeman and Stengle fail to find a new home...

Yeah they'd both have the shits good and proper right at the minute, I'd imagine... Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:16 pm

Haff wrote:
Not a whole heap in Begg’s highlights to show that he’s a fwd. time will tell I guess. Interesting that only 4 players are still on AFL lists from the last mid season draft.

what teams are they in??

i know we have noble

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:19 pm

I reckon all this sooky sooky la la is premature. How about the quaint idea of seeing how they perform first? Whinging for the sake of whinging is stupid because none of it is evidence based.
Also we are not going to make the finals this season so it was the perfect time to grab a player who is very good but injured at the moment. He can have the rest of the season to get right and join in pre season training. Quite content with our choices and they can only improve our team in future years.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:22 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:
We take Aiden Begg.

Happy with that, 197 forward, part time ruck, out for this year with a shoulder, looking to next season.

How is that good?

How is it bad? What do you know about him that makes this a bad decision?

true, i mean look at shazza!!!!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:26 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:
We take Aiden Begg.

Agree. And he’s possibly the tall we had our eye on in the upcoming National draft.
He’s an eastern ranges kid. His best has been good but he drifts in out very easily. That’s fine, he’s only 18. Pretty sure it’s actually a full reco but they generally strengthen your shoulder better than ever.

Like your optimism. I was hoping for someone who could play now. Don’t mind Ash Johnson though. That was a difficult choice when you had Moyle available.

I think the definition of optimism would be to expect pick 18 from an M S D to come straight into the team and play senior footy every week.
I still believe they did the right thing. Johnson, maturity wise, is ready to go in a couple weeks. That’s one eye on today and Begg is the other eye on tomorrow.
Nearly everyone on here is moaning about having have no picks left after we match the Daicos bid. What the club “ seemingly “ has done, is to partly solve that problem by taking the kid now. They are all risks and come with no guarantees but I look at him as the tall prospect we would have potentially taken in the National draft if we had a pick to do so.
Plenty of kids get taken in the first round of the N D with knee recos at the time of selection ( Hollands this year, Kemp last year )
So taking Begg in the MSD with a shoulder reco, is hardly breaking new ground. They obviously rate him.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:31 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:
We take Aiden Begg.

He’s an eastern ranges kid. His best has been good but he drifts in out very easily. That’s fine, he’s only 18.

I think the definition of optimism would be to expect pick 18 from an M S D to come straight into the team and play senior footy every week.
I still believe they did the right thing. Johnson, maturity wise, is ready to go in a couple weeks. That’s one eye on today and Begg is the other eye on tomorrow.
Nearly everyone on here is moaning about having have no picks left after we match the Daicos bid. What the club “ seemingly “ has down, is to partly solve that problem by taking the kid now.
They are all risks and come with no guarantees but I look at him as the tall prospect we would have potentially taken in the National draft if we had a pick to do so.
They obviously rate him.

“ seemingly “ hmmmm... this reeks of more Hine-lotto to me.
Hope the club can elaborate on their selection logic in the coming days...

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:20 pm

think positive wrote:
Haff wrote:

what teams are they in??

i know we have noble

Pickett - tigers
Snelling - bombers
Gardiner - lions ( via dogs )

There were 13 names called out in 2019.
To suggest we were ever capable of identifying two long term players from a MSD is probably drawing a long bow.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:22 pm

Must admit I can't quite see the logic with Begg, but I suppose if there was a potential of him going in the early rounds of the national draft then we may have been a step ahead of the game here. I just feel like there are so many holes we need filled now, and that that's kind of the point of a mid-season draft – someone like Stengle probably would have given us a huge boost right away, and are we so sure this guy (or someone else as good) wouldn't have still been around late in the national draft or in the rookie draft anyway? In Hine and co. we trust, I guess, lol.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:28 pm

piedys wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:
We take Aiden Begg.

He’s an eastern ranges kid. His best has been good but he drifts in out very easily. That’s fine, he’s only 18.

Nearly everyone on here is moaning about having have no picks left after we match the Daicos bid. What the club “ seemingly “ has down, is to partly solve that problem by taking the kid now.
They are all risks and come with no guarantees but I look at him as the tall prospect we would have potentially taken in the National draft if we had a pick to do so.
They obviously rate him.

“ seemingly “ hmmmm... this reeks of more Hine-lotto to me.
Hope the club can elaborate on their selection logic in the coming days...

He doesn’t give much away at the best of times, so I wouldn’t hold your breath on him saying “ We’ve got no picks in the N D because Daicos will be called out at pick one . So because of our list management incompetency, this has forced our hand in picking our preferred tall prospect earlier in the MSD before his shoulder has fully recovered “
Now that I would like to see !
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:30 pm

Lazza wrote:
I reckon all this sooky sooky la la is premature. How about the quaint idea of seeing how they perform first? Whinging for the sake of whinging is stupid because none of it is evidence based.
Also we are not going to make the finals this season so it was the perfect time to grab a player who is very good but injured at the moment. He can have the rest of the season to get right and join in pre season training. Quite content with our choices and they can only improve our team in future years.

Spot On. Give them a Chance at Least before saying they are Duds

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:36 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Spot On. Give them a Chance at Least before saying they are Duds

You know what they say “ No Callow, No Collingwood “
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:07 pm

Happy with what has unfolded.
Ash Johnson described as one of the best talents in this draft then we get a tall prospect with pick 18.
Surely cant expect much with this speculative pick 18 in a MSD, shoulder or no shoulder its one for the future with not much paid for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24   

Jump to: