Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mid season draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:
We take Aiden Begg.

Described as a forward-ruck.

Happy with that, 197 forward, part time ruck, out for this year with a shoulder, looking to next season.

Agree. And he’s possibly the tall we had our eye on in the upcoming National draft.
Why not get him now while we have a pick. We won’t have one in the N D.
He’s an eastern ranges kid. His best has been good but he drifts in out very easily. That’s fine, he’s only 18. Pretty sure it’s actually a full reco but they generally strengthen your shoulder better than ever.

Like your optimism. I was hoping for someone who could play now. Don’t mind Ash Johnson though. That was a difficult choice when you had Moyle available.

I think the definition of optimism would be to expect pick 18 from an M S D to come straight into the team and play senior footy every week.
I still believe they did the right thing. Johnson, maturity wise, is ready to go in a couple weeks. That’s one eye on today and Begg is the other eye on tomorrow.
Nearly everyone on here is moaning about having have no picks left after we match the Daicos bid. What the club “ seemingly “ has done, is to partly solve that problem by taking the kid now. They are all risks and come with no guarantees but I look at him as the tall prospect we would have potentially taken in the National draft if we had a pick to do so.
Plenty of kids get taken in the first round of the N D with knee recos at the time of selection ( Hollands this year, Kemp last year )
So taking Begg in the MSD with a shoulder reco, is hardly breaking new ground. They obviously rate him.

Great points Pies2016

melliot 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:15 am

^ Agree. Limited picks in the coming ND. This year's MSD was our chance to pick out some talent that was missed in the covid effected ND last year.

Hopefully they got it right. Time will tell. If they haven't, it's another year added being down the bottom till we do get it right.

Getting a clump of talent coming through at once is key to challenging.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:17 pm

Correct Melliot.

This is not a normal MSD draft.

Covid shut down the whole Vic Junior competition. Begg may be a youngster identified as a player by us first. Who can be better than any filler who wasn't selected?

Wylie Buzza? Get 6 games out of him before realizing he is no better than Cox?

If so t may not work out, but no recruit is a guarantee. Begg could develop into a top 10 player for all we know.

Stengle kicked about a goal a game and not many possessions..yet would have been handy. But we are not winning a Premiership this year. . As far as a smaller player.. Nick Daicos and Bianco will do for now.

With no guarantee, the club is trying to select for the future and filling our needs. Pretty spot on if you ask me,
Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Absolutely did the right thing. 2021 is irrelevant.
MC's Mix 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:54 pm

I'm glad they went with untried talent to be honest.
There's a reason Buzza and Stengle etc weren't held on to by their respective clubs, and a reason again why they weren't selected yesterday. If we were in contention for the flag then you grab a quick fix or depth option, but in our position we grab best available talent that suits a list need and cross our fingers.
Disappointed to miss Callow, but there's no chance we could have grabbed both him and Johnson at 3 and 18. Callow has been likened to Mihocek, who, as good as he is (and has been) he hasn't completely solved our problems and would play best as a 2nd or 3rd tall imo.
With Begg, he looks like a monster, so here's hoping his shoulder gets sorted and he can stack on a bit of extra size.

As mentioned already. MSD, very hit and miss. Can't expect superstars at every pick... BUT given last year's Covid-affected competition, quite a few gems have likely slipped through and we could get lucky Smile

With bigger players (particularly ruck-sized) we know that they take a couple of extra years to develop and fill out their bodies etc. 'Banking' one now knowing that we're unlikely to have many picks in next year's draft is a decent strategy.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:55 pm

The fact Freeman and Stengle wasn't picked up by any club at all, just goes to show the huge gap in knowledge there is between the inner sanctum of clubs and the average keyboard warrior.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm

Who’s to say we wouldn’t have taken Begg over Callow anyway? We didn’t like Callow in last season’s national draft so there’s no guarantee that we would have selected him in in this draft. We’ve never liked drafting tall forwards unless they’re Lynch or Cameron and we’ve never had high enough draft picks to select a Cameron or a Lynch. That’s why our list is in such bad shape.

Oh but we have drafted Cameron and Lynch, MBFC. Darcy Cameron and Max Lynch.

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:56 pm

magpieazza wrote:
The fact Freeman and Stengle wasn't picked up by any club at all, just goes to show the huge gap in knowledge there is between the inner sanctum of clubs and the average keyboard warrior.

I don't think there was ever much of a realistic chance either were selected... The MSD, especially this year with the lack of exposure underage players had last year, was always going to be clubs trying to find those gems that were missed at the last ND/RD after having seen a few months of footy from them.

Clubs were looking to pick up players now who they thought would be a good chance to go elsewhere in the next ND so they wouldn't miss out. The thinking would be, 'we like player x now and they've shown enough to make us think they have a chance at the next level, if we don't take them in the midseason, they may continue to improve, moving up the ND order to the point we may miss out. Let's pull the trigger now'.

Yes, the MSD was introduced by the AFL to provide the opportunity for clubs to fill a need that eventuated through injury e.g. GCS and the ruck. In practice, clubs primarily will be using it as another mechanism to bring young talent into the club.

Reruns like Stengle and Freeman are far more likely to be picked up as DLFAs.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:10 pm

No issues with drafting a future KPP prospect.
What did everyone expect - Jeremy Cameron or Tom Lynch? Those guys are never available in a mid season draft and ready for AFL. I like the long term thinking and approach from the club.

Ash Johnson looks exciting - can leap and visually strong - ready for AFL.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:31 pm

There’s a photo of Johnson taking a huge mark over a pack.If that happened in the AFL it would certainly be. a contender for mark of the year.So it’s good to see that we’re finally starting to recruit some players with a bit of X factor about them.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:52 pm

I hope he can do more than fly for marks. With our track record it will not be long before he injures himself landing and he will not be the same (ala Elliot and Howe).
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:04 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
Who’s to say we wouldn’t have taken Begg over Callow anyway? We didn’t like Callow in last season’s national draft so there’s no guarantee that we would have selected him in in this draft. We’ve never liked drafting tall forwards unless they’re Lynch or Cameron and we’ve never had high enough draft picks to select a Cameron or a Lynch. That’s why our list is in such bad shape.

Oh but we have drafted Cameron and Lynch, MBFC. Darcy Cameron and Max Lynch.

And the Big Q before them
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:51 pm

I get People not liking we passed on Callow and I do get it as Callow was more of a List Need then Johnson but Johnson might be the Better Prospect.

Don't get some Fans thinking we stuffed up just because we passed on Callow - Not like we Drafted yet another Midfielder or Medium size Player.

We Went 2 Tall Forwards with our 2 Picks

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:03 am

Dave The Man wrote:
I get People not liking we passed on Callow and I do get it as Callow was more of a List Need then Johnson but Johnson might be the Better Prospect.

Don't get some Fans thinking we stuffed up just because we passed on Callow - Not like we Drafted yet another Midfielder or Medium size Player.

We Went 2 Tall Forwards with our 2 Picks

Yeah I think when the club doesn’t choose the players some posters wanted, they arrogantly think that the club stuffed up! They need to suck it up because the club knows best after due diligence has been carried out.

robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:53 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the fundamental reason for the mid-year draft was to select a player to instantly replace a listed player on the long-term injury list. So why can Clubs actually select players who are currently injured and who are unable to fill the vacancy in the short term? Defeats the whole purpose. Just asking .... (Double Post)

Last edited by robevpau1 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24   

Jump to: