Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mid season draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft Ben Silvagni, just because.
The General Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:08 am

I like the sound of this guy as a long term prospect....

Blake Schlensog – South Fremantle Bulldogs

20 years old – 199cm – 99kg

Schlensog was delisted by Geelong after two seasons with the club as a Category B rookie. Now plying his trade in defence for South Fremantle, he has been a revelation as he earned a call-up to the WA State Team. At 199cm and 99kg, Schlensog is a mature key position player already, and looks settled down back where he can use his leap and explosiveness to his advantage. He is averaging 19 disposals and eight marks per game, including a 28 possession, 12 mark game on the weekend as he becomes a key driver out of South Fremantle’s defence. At 20-years-old he remains a work in progress, but the upside is there for AFL clubs looking to the future.

Sounds like it has improved a lot since Geelong let him go. And the bigger players do take a bit longer to come good.

Has anyone got any more info on him?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:45 pm

The General wrote:
I like the sound of this guy as a long term prospect....

Blake Schlensog – South Fremantle Bulldogs

20 years old – 199cm – 99kg

Schlensog was delisted by Geelong after two seasons with the club as a Category B rookie. Now plying his trade in defence for South Fremantle, he has been a revelation as he earned a call-up to the WA State Team. At 199cm and 99kg, Schlensog is a mature key position player already, and looks settled down back where he can use his leap and explosiveness to his advantage. He is averaging 19 disposals and eight marks per game, including a 28 possession, 12 mark game on the weekend as he becomes a key driver out of South Fremantle’s defence. At 20-years-old he remains a work in progress, but the upside is there for AFL clubs looking to the future.

Sounds like it has improved a lot since Geelong let him go. And the bigger players do take a bit longer to come good.

Has anyone got any more info on him?

Like it so far 👍

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:46 pm

Take Schlensog and Stengle

Is there a bit of an adolescent giggle with Schlensog’s surname or is it just me?

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:04 pm

As long as shlong and Cox aren’t playing together, I’m fine with that.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:29 pm

Quote:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2021-midseason-rookie-draft-nominees-full-list-picks-key-names-date-and-time-how-to-watch/news-story/a185d88fb0e74e54ae5f0478e2546027

More than 300 footy players have thrown their hat in the ring for the AFL’s mid-season draft.

Nominations opened on Monday, May 10 and will run until Tuesday, May 25, with the number of VFL players nominating so far stretching into triple digits.

Former Collingwood and St Kilda midfielder Nathan Freeman is a notable absentee from the list given his spellbinding VFL form this year, with the list last updated on Friday, May 14

Jacob Edwards and Tyson Stengle also yet to nominate. Nominations close on the 25th. Already 300+ names on the list.

There's a lot of names to filter through, but for me this one stood out: Giacomo Thomas. Razz

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:42 pm

simon tonna wrote:

Are there any Ball's available?

Don't forget back in the last 2000's we had at one time a Cox, Dick, Johnson and Goldsack on the list. That's a treat for the ladies.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:05 pm

stui magpie wrote:
simon tonna wrote:

Are there any Ball's available?

Don't forget back in the last 2000's we had at one time a Cox, Dick, Johnson and Goldsack on the list. That's a treat for the ladies.

Ah yes, thats what I was trying to remember.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Collingwood reportedly going to throw ex Crow Stengle a lifeline in the MSD.

He was number one on my hit list.

Small forward, crumber, knows where the goals are. Exactly what we need (hopefully he can leave his baggage behind and make a genuine fist of his second or even third chance at Pieland).

Brandon Matera has also nominated; I know we've discussed him before.
If he is injury free, would he be a better option as the small forward?
Certainly older, but perhaps a better tank, and a better attitude?
He is also expendable and cheap, if he doesn't produce within 12 months or so.

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:46 pm

^^^ given the current list profile, trajectory of competitiveness and lack of draft capital, if we're looking for a small forward, Stengle fits far better than Matera.

Matera may provide something for a year or 2, but Stengle could be a long term option with far more upside who would have a realistic shot at being on the list when our next premiership window opens (and possibly help open it).

I'm not advocating for his selection, just my thoughts that if it's a choice between the two, Stengle would be my preferred option.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:50 pm

At this draft it’s all about reward vs risk. Crutial assessments are required. So happy that Wrighty is involved with the selections, he has the expertise.
MC's Mix 

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:20 pm

Is a small forward really our biggest priority?
We have a few 'smaller' threats around goal (including mids like Daics), surely we draft more of a key forward to try to take advantage of the new rules?

With the faster ball movement and end-to-end plays, key forwards 1-out have been reaping the rewards for other clubs - would be nice to have one of our own!

I mentioned a few days ago about Jackson Callow who attracted a bit of interest in the lead up to the ND - does anyone have any mail on him?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:29 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
^^^ given the current list profile, trajectory of competitiveness and lack of draft capital, if we're looking for a small forward, Stengle fits far better than Matera.

Matera may provide something for a year or 2, but Stengle could be a long term option with far more upside who would have a realistic shot at being on the list when our next premiership window opens (and possibly help open it).

I'm not advocating for his selection, just my thoughts that if it's a choice between the two, Stengle would be my preferred option.

BK, in a perfect world Stengle would obviously be the better long term solution, talent-wise.

However... look at the club's management of last two players with "social recreational" problems: Sam Murray and Stephenson.
If Stengle has similar issues, why would I have any confidence in the current regime handling his circumstances any differently?

Regardless, we'd also get him for free on a minimal contract, with little expectation, but with a Buyer Beware warning label.

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:08 pm

^^^ I personally wouldn't select either. If it came to a decision of either or, I'd go Stengle because of the potential pay off. There'd be very little risk (apart from what negative influence he might have on team culture). But the flipside for the spinmakers in recruiting an indigenous player as a reclamation project and providing the support blah blah blah would be enormous in the current climate.

Matera, or any other small fwd for that matter would definitely be a lower risk, but it's a midseason rookie draft, very little is on the line in reality and if it goes pear shaped, they can jettison at seasons end.

The other question about is a small fwd what we should be looking at? Someone who can kick a goal, anyone who can kick a goal would be nice, but given the nature of the draft, the strategies are either best available, best young player available, or fill a list hole.

We have too many holes to address in one MSD. We are clearly in a pseudo-rebuild so young players are the option. KPPs are limited this MSD, but there are some ruck options. If North and Hawthorn somehow don't select Edwards, then that would be an enormous coup for us as he can play KPF (and ruck).

Beggars (without national draft capital) can't be choosers.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:36 pm

Any tall would do provided they have ability
A KPF is unlikely no idea how Callow is going at Norwood any SA people know?
A Ruck who can play forward about 18-19 who has shown something this year
A KPD to replace Roughie long term
Why a small forward? we have a new Daicos next year could play that role while doing his apprenticeship

Do not want a 23 yo who has failed at two clubs rather a speculative pick that may work out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24   

Jump to: