Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Progressive Politics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new discussion/debate on identity politics featuring Judith Butler, Cornel West and Glenn Greenwald that some might find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv-TXOfI7vg

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:40 pm

I might have a look but I struggle with watching videos that require concentration, I prefer reading.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/the-educational-divide-that-threatens-to-split-the-left-20211118-p59a8k.html

Interesting article I read a week or so ago on how Identity is replacing Class as the basis of left politics.

It creates a conundrum for the Labor Party which was founded on and by the union movement, the workers party, as the educated elite generally have no time for the working class masses.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:14 am

^Can't access it, so I'll just comment generally. Those pieces often don't make sense because if you look at the policies, the very cultural types they decry still support actions that by far favour the working class. David might write about feminist film, but you sure as hell know he'll support a higher minimum wage, access to better housing and services, access to training, etc., among a host of policies that favour the working class of any creed.

What's actually happening is the cultist right is hating its way in blind rage to unemployability — like the far left before it — as creative cooperation, critical thought and hard numeracy move to the centre of economic productivity. Right or left, no one can afford to employ people who can't learn, articulate, compromise, reason rigorously, cooperate, maintain peace, bite their tongue and accept people as complex individuals.

Only the highly numerate, intelligent or creative get away with not having those skills (which is probably why you find so many far-left and far-right extremists in, say, coding). But those on the far right (or far left) who are not gifted are doomed to poverty as Christian Taliban warriors. The far left has long been poor; the far right is now joining it in a guaranteed-to-lose psychiatry.

Moderates almost don't need a party anymore. Every additional act of self-destruction — climate denial, foreigner panic, Brexit, Trump, anti-abortion vote, anti-vax protest, illiterate outburst, hating on education, uninformed reaction to science, worsening of own healthcare, sacrificing of children to war, polluting of own communities, anti-whatever else — is another nail in the unemployability and underclass coffin of the right.

If you have any experience with cults, it really is like trying to help people in thrall to a movement — at mass scale.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:09 am

^

Nah, wide of the mark. Try to read the article, it's very similar to something David posted not long back.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:37 am

^I was just bouncing off the topic. Putting the original article aside, my claim of a growing unemployable right underclass ought to be causing people who care to lose sleep. Once underclasses become locked in, they're very hard to undo.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:16 am

They do sort of play into each other in a way. The gist of the article as I understand it is that the left is increasingly attracting university educated people who are more interested in identity politics. This leaves the working class, the traditional Labor voters, disenfranchised by the left and attracted to some of the far right ideals that, in appearance at least, give them a voice.

Many of the people who flocked to Trump were just Blue Collar workers who'd seen the factories and industries they worked in closed down. They felt disempowered and without a voice and Hilary's collective insults only pushed more that way.

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:25 pm

David wrote:
Here's a new discussion/debate on identity politics featuring Judith Butler, Cornel West and Glenn Greenwald that some might find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv-TXOfI7vg

Thanks for posting this, David.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:16 pm

Thanks for the link, David.

I've becoming a growing admirer of Glenn Greenwald.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:31 pm

I’m a fan too, Jezza! I think he says some really perceptive stuff here in particular, though I found the contributions from all of the participants interesting and worth listening to.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:50 am

Yep, all 3 provided insightful discussion. More open, respectful discussions without the political bs is what we need.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:46 am

Ron Inglehart (post-materialist politics) says hi! Am I missing something here or is this discussion 40 years late to the party?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Can you expand on that, NJ? I must admit I’m not familiar with his work at all.
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:35 am

David wrote:
Can you expand on that, NJ? I must admit I’m not familiar with his work at all.

Inglehart was an American political sociologist who's work has been really influential in how we understand changes in political values and by extension party systems and party competition. His 1977 work The Silent Revolution is a good place to start. In a nutshell his argument was that increasing levels of prosperity in western industrial societies in the postwar period has meant that for many, the values that drive political behaviour have shifted away from material concerns. We're no longer driven by concerns around satisfying basic material needs (food, shelter etc) as the level of prosperity has risen to the point where, for most, these needs are satisfied. This has resulted in a value shift with voters now motivated by post material issues (those associated with what are now often called 'identity politics' - gender, ethnicity, environment etc).

When you apply the theory to party systems, the argument is that we have seen a shift in importance from traditional political cleavages based on class which have been relatively stable over time, to cleavages based on post material issues. These tend to be more fragmented, dynamic and cross-cutting which explains why party identification (loyalty) and political systems have become less stable over the past 20-30 years.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:52 pm

Thanks for that – makes a lot of sense, and I think summarises where things are at pretty succinctly. The only thing that surprises me is that people have been talking about this for so long; I really thought of identity discourse as something that was very new in the late ‘70s (emerging in, say, African-American feminism) and only became a significant factor in left discourse after the decline of unions and triumph of neoliberalism in the 1980s.

I guess the big question is whether a material politics can be reinvigorated, or if that ship has sailed and the left needs to be reconstituted in some way that incorporates both material and identity-oriented approaches (or something else entirely).

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:56 pm

yeah, NJ's succinct summary does make perfect sense with the benefit of hindsight. That someone wrote it in the 70's is really good work.

I personally don't see material politics in Australia making a resurgence, while there are certainly many impoverished people, there's not nearly enough to make a critical mass. Society has changed, politics needs to change with it. It's called evolution.

I wouldn't be at all surprised though if material politics does make a comeback in Europe and the USA. Trump basically bought himself the Presidency using it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: