Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thor's presser 3 May 2021

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Grundy told the media today he was "very happy" with how he's playing this year.

He also said he was "tired" of the media focus on his $7 million contract and that it was old news.

This comes after Korda confirmed a week or two ago that the club wanted to give him a 4- or 5-year contract, not 7 years.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 pm

K wrote:
Grundy told the media today he was "very happy" with how he's playing this year.

He also said he was "tired" of the media focus on his $7 million contract and that it was old news.

This comes after Korda confirmed a week or two ago that the club wanted to give him a 4- or 5-year contract, not 7 years.

Could always do a Trealor on him..?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:02 pm

K wrote:

Says nothing there he Confirmed that

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:16 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Says nothing there he Confirmed that

It was already reported last year, but Korda told The Age this (before Anzac Day):

Would we have liked to negotiate a four- or five-year deal? Yes. Did the competitive market push that out? Yes.

“For some times, you’ve got to make a decision. We clearly would have liked a lesser thing, but that was - we are where we are and we [the Collingwood board] signed it off.”
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:24 pm

K wrote:

It must be that we just can’t see how good that Grundy actually is.

Michael Jordan’s fist contract with the Chicago Bulls was $6m for 7 years. Grundy is getting $7m for 7 years.
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:28 am

Grundy:

“That’s just a part of being a marquee player at Collingwood and I’ve come to terms with that. The reality is, I think, maybe the media hasn’t come to terms with that.

“If I can be quite frank, my contract - that discussion happened more than 12 months ago and it’s a bit tiring to hear that be recycled constantly.

“The reality is I’m a Collingwood player and I’m going to be here for the next seven years, so it’s time to keep up with the times, I think. Keep up with the pace of the journalism, it’s a bit tiring.”

(7 news)

[TBH I winced when he called himself a "marquee player". I mean, has any other player called himself that?

And I don't think it's a good idea to tell the media to "keep up with the pace of the journalism"...]
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:16 am

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/fed-up-brodie-grundy-blasts-medias-recycled-criticism-of-7-million-contract-c-2745963

Quote:
Collingwood superstar Brodie Grundy says he’s sick and tired of commentary linking his seven-year, $7 million contract to the Pies’ worst start to a season since 2005.

Despite his team’s woes, Grundy is having a strong individual season ....

[T]he 27-year-old is having an impressive season.

“Comparatively to last year I’m really happy with how I’m going. I think I’m not quite at 2018, 2019 form but I think I’m playing pretty well,” he said.

He earned All Australian honours and picked up 40 Brownlow votes across those two years.

Strong individual season is right.

2021 stats for ruckmen after 7 rounds:

Hitouts - Grundy (288), equal 2nd - Gawn and Pittonet (222);

Hiouts to advantage - Grundy (97), 2nd - Gawn - (80);

Contested posessions - Grundy (93), equal 2nd Nankervis and Naitanui (77);

Disposals - Gawn (137), 2nd Grundy (135);

Score launches - Naitanui (28), 2nd Grundy (27);

Tackles - Grundy (35), 2nd - Naitanui (28).

No wonder he's happy with how he's playing. He's plainly the leading ruckman in the competition (for the 5th year running).
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 am

Yeah I actually think he is streaks ahead of last year. Not quite 2019 form but getting closer. A decent midfield around him and maybe we’d start seeing those taps mean something..
Big T 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:55 am

Stats don't lie.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:24 am

Winning is a business, so when you lose, you come under scrutiny.
When Collingwood loses, you come under even more scrutiny, whether deserved or not.
I can see next weeks thread already “ bootstudders who should never stud another boot again at Collingwood “
Let’s be honest, “ we “ haven’t missed anyone over the last few weeks.
And they reckon Richmond eat their own 🙄
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:27 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/fed-up-brodie-grundy-blasts-medias-recycled-criticism-of-7-million-contract-c-2745963

Quote:
Collingwood superstar Brodie Grundy says he’s sick and tired of commentary linking his seven-year, $7 million contract to the Pies’ worst start to a season since 2005.

Despite his team’s woes, Grundy is having a strong individual season ....

[T]he 27-year-old is having an impressive season.

“Comparatively to last year I’m really happy with how I’m going. I think I’m not quite at 2018, 2019 form but I think I’m playing pretty well,” he said.

He earned All Australian honours and picked up 40 Brownlow votes across those two years.

Strong individual season is right.

2021 stats for ruckmen after 7 rounds:

Hitouts - Grundy (288), equal 2nd - Gawn and Pittonet (222);

Hiouts to advantage - Grundy (97), 2nd - Gawn - (80);

Contested posessions - Grundy (93), equal 2nd Nankervis and Naitanui (77);

Disposals - Gawn (137), 2nd Grundy (135);

Score launches - Naitanui (28), 2nd Grundy (27);

Tackles - Grundy (35), 2nd - Naitanui (28).

No wonder he's happy with how he's playing. He's plainly the leading ruckman in the competition (for the 5th year running).

Very interesting stats, in relation to a position that basically does not matter.

I will include the stats that you omitted.

Grundy has played 7 games this year, and he is also far more effective than last year in attack, as he has kicked 4 goals. He's on fire in that regard, not that it really matters how much we score though. Hit outs are what matter.

Because he is a ruckman and therefore only hit outs matter, no matter where they go, it really doesn't matter whether he can mark a football when he is standing next to an opponent. In any event he is blitzing the field as in his 7 games this year he has taken 20 marks. That's almost 3 each week. A couple of them were even contested marks, which makes his performance even better. That must be some sort of AFL record, or at least a Collingwood record. Did Thommo or Moore ever reach such heights?

He's far ahead of those losers Cox and Cameron. They are as bad as each other, having both played 4 games and taken 20 marks. Their marks aren't as good as Grundy's marks though, because they are not running hard enough to get free, and therefore take their marks with multiple defenders pushing against them and coming over the top.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:41 pm

Our mids need to step up, but losing Adams hurt us and trading a Treloar left a bit of a hole. Sier Sier Sier, you’re the messiah!
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pm

I was somewhat bewildered watching the game last weekend. Grundy was conspicuous by his following efforts (on more than several occasions he roved his own contested ruck work) which has me thinking, His efforts are supreme but, by virtue of the fact that Grundy is following his own ruck work, I was left wondering what our actual midfielders were doing? Why is Grundy able to be in a position to follow-up but own midfield are not?
Some observations from last weekend:
Grundy is valuable, despite us not capitalising on his dominance
Nathan Murphy is extremely courageous and wonderfully talented
Beau McCreery is wicked quick and a tackling demon - pity more don't have his 'mongrel' attitude.
Darcy Moore up forward, particularly while our structures are woefully inadequate, is a disaster. He needs to be down back.
Checkers is a workhorse that remains underrated (imo)

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:45 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
K wrote:

Could always do a Trealor on him..?

Pay him 800,000 a year to play against us?

Actually might not be a bad idea, any chance say Richmond would pick him up? It would at least guarantee us one win a year...
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:42 pm

Pies4Shaw wrote:

Thor's presser 3 May 2021

If Thor were Grundy, he'd throw his Magic Hammer 40 times per battle, but 20 of them would decapitate humans he's trying to save.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: