Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley = Renew or Sack?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Buckley be renewed or sacked?
Renewed
30%
 30%  [ 36 ]
Sacked
70%
 70%  [ 84 ]
Total Votes : 120

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No knee jerk reaction from me. He's had 10 years at the club. That's enough for me. I don't go as far as others in saying he can't coach. I think he can. It's simply time for someone else to have a go. A few things concern me with Buckley. Firstly his role in list management and the forward line structures he plays. Secondly getting involved in too much of the detail, for instance, his comments on the current board which should have nothing to do with the current coach.
Swanny2011 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:27 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
No knee jerk reaction from me. He's had 10 years at the club. That's enough for me. I don't go as far as others in saying he can't coach. I think he can. It's simply time for someone else to have a go. A few things concern me with Buckley. Firstly his role in list management and the forward line structures he plays. Secondly getting involved in too much of the detail, for instance, his comments on the current board which should have nothing to do with the current coach.

Totally agree with you on this. Also another couple of observations;

The same problems (game style and Deficiencies) that were glaringly obvious between 2014-2017 then again from mid 2019 are still occurring today.
Apart from J.Howe I can't think of another player that has gone to another level under his tutelage and you could argue some have gone backwards.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:52 pm

I just cant believe its all about Carlton in the news today.

Shows what happens after a win.

Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:49 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:

Agree, it doesn’t matter who thinks he can coach or not, or if he can or not. He has had so much time and the facts are what they are. I agree that he is too involved it too many moving parts of the club and behaves as a power broker rather than a coach. The media support him incredibly, but this needs to be a club first, not personality first decision. I don’t support the Browne board takeover either as he said if Buckley is replaced it has to be a big name. This just means that the search for a coach will not be rigorous or cast wide enough to get it right, not to mention the probable continuation of the messiah mentality. Sam Mitchell for me.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:15 pm

Being "knee jerk" is wanting a coach gone halfway through his first contract (e.g. Nathan Buckley in 2013), not 10 seasons into his coaching tenure when we have enough body of work to objectively assess his record.

The mediocrity that permeates this club in order to benefit one individual is baffling, albeit it's not surprising as history shows. Favourite sons have failed as Collingwood senior coaches in the form of Weideman and Shaw. The evidence shows the best Collingwood coaches in the last 50 years have been outsiders with no previous affiliation to the club (i.e. Hafey, Matthews and Malthouse).

For those who want him to stay, how long do you want him to stay for? Another year? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?

Buckley is currently the longest serving coach in the league without a premiership to his name, with Hinkley and Cameron not too far behind him. When we do we say as a collective that it's time for a fresh voice?

The media is soft on him. Teague is copping it left, right and centre and very little is said about Buckley in comparison. There's only been one or two media pundits who have openly questioned his coaching future.

Whether others like it or not, many supporters and I won't stop advocating for a change until a decision is made. We see this as a window of opportunity to change things up for the better.

Last edited by Jezza on Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Redlight 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:34 pm

The reaction is knee jerk, even after a decade. No one on this board is in a position to judge Buckley's performance. End of.

Changing coaches is not any kind of guarantee of success. Look at the long, long list of clubs that end up with a revolving door policy on their key coaching post, constantly losing three or four years to the promise of the next 'saviour' who, in turn fails. Let's sign Clarkson! He never had a bad season at the Hawks! Carlton signed 'supercoach' Malthouse, we sacked Matthews, etc, etc, etc.

We should be happy that a Collingwood person with a long history at other, successful, clubs has come back to conduct a review. If Wright decides that Buckley should stay then I'm going to take his view over-and-above anybody on this board.

It's not even close.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 am

Yet sticking with a coach who has 10 years of evidence he isn’t up it is a guarantee of continuing to fail.

It’s a pretty simple choice for most people, take a chance on a new coach who may or may not bring success, or stick with the current coach and be guaranteed failure.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:37 am

Redlight wrote:
The reaction is knee jerk, even after a decade. No one on this board is in a position to judge Buckley's performance. End of.

Changing coaches is not any kind of guarantee of success. Look at the long, long list of clubs that end up with a revolving door policy on their key coaching post, constantly losing three or four years to the promise of the next 'saviour' who, in turn fails. Let's sign Clarkson! He never had a bad season at the Hawks! Carlton signed 'supercoach' Malthouse, we sacked Matthews, etc, etc, etc.

We should be happy that a Collingwood person with a long history at other, successful, clubs has come back to conduct a review. If Wright decides that Buckley should stay then I'm going to take his view over-and-above anybody on this board.

It's not even close.

Such common sense has no place here.

And besides for over 20 years now, NBB has been deciding who the Senior Coach is, who gets drafted, who gets traded, who gets delisted, what a player's contract will be, who is made Captain and who makes the team each week. You've been here well over 10 years you should know that.

As if the Board, the Football Department, and the Match Committee have anything to do with it.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:45 am

^ Sorry to break it to you, but coaches without flags that stay beyond 10 years with one club are an aberration.

Most who want him gone are not advocating for anything unusual. I don't know why Nathan Buckley is a special case here.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:49 am

^I'm sorry are you directing that comment at me?

If so, the point about the longevity of a coaches career isn't at all the point.

I agree that Nathan Buckley should not necessarily be a special case.

BTW, I am on record here stating that Buckley has had his time and we need someone new.

If not, then apologies carry on.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 am

^ Sounds like his comment is meant for Redlight...
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 am

Redlight wrote:

Supporters can hold whatever opinion they want on the coach's performance.

At the end of day our opinion might be irrelevant to the club, but it shouldn't preclude us from having our say nevertheless.

Redlight wrote:

No one is saying changing coaches guarantees success, but doing nothing and sticking with the same approach year in year out isn't helping either.

Hawthorn sacked Schwab. They appointed Clarkson.
Richmond sacked Wallace. They appointed Hardwick.
Western Bulldogs sacked McCartney. They appointed Beveridge who won a flag two years later.

Any coaching appointment is not without risk. It's a hit and miss business.

Redlight wrote:

Wright can make his own conclusions as he sees fit. Why hire him otherwise?

He will be the main person to table a recommendation to the board, but I know that Peter Murphy and Paul Licuria are working closely with him in the football department so they may reach a different conclusion on the coaching front.

I may not agree with his final recommendation, but I'll stick with the club regardless.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:58 am

AnthonyC wrote:
^I'm sorry are you directing that comment at me?

If so, the point about the longevity of a coaches career isn't at all the point.

I agree that Nathan Buckley should not necessarily be a special case.

BTW, I am on record here stating that Buckley has had his time and we need someone new.

If not, then apologies carry on.

Was directed at Redlight.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:38 am

Jezza wrote:

The media is soft on him [Buckley]. Teague is copping it left, right and centre and very little is said about Buckley in comparison. There's only been one or two media pundits who have openly questioned his coaching future.

I guess the difference is Buckley has had us winning finals in each of the previous 3 seasons. Teague has not.
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:18 am

Buckley has arguably been more successful than several of his other highly acclaimed contemporaries who have had far more to work with and far less to deal with.

Hinkley has been at Port for 9 years with no GF appearances and middle tier finishes. For some reason he is perceived as a genius coach and idolised in SA. Similarly, Leon Cameron has been at GWS since inception and apart from a single dismal embarrassing absolute failure of a GF with a star studded team has only had very average success, still they’re happy to keep extending his contract. Chris Scott who inherited a dynasty got a premiership in his first year and lost last years GF to a very beatable Tigers outfit and has had the easiest run of all in his 11 years at the Cats and has achieved practically nothing in comparison. All have had more talent and quality players to coach and almost zero off field distractions to derail their seasons. None of these 3 are put through the same scrutiny and degradation as Buckley.

Sometimes desperation and frustration causes usually rational people to ignore the facts and create their own rationalisation hoping that any change will bring them relief, validation, and justification….sound and appropriate business decisions are not founded on emotion or sentiment - that’s why I gave several examples of current ‘industry policy’ and correlated it against the Pies current situation.

As stated, I do not have a preference for Bucks over anyone else, and if there was someone available who could deliver I’d be the first to say ‘pull the trigger’. But reality is, as hard as it is for some to accept, is that the ‘dice were loaded from the start’ against Bucks and continual off field distractions have plagued his tenure which, to his credit, other lesser characters may not have been able to come through with such aplomb.

Which coach from any successful team in the history of the AFL has had to deal with continual destabilising and distracting matters such as player multiple drug related issues, betting scandals, sexual assault dramas, salary and list mismanagement issues, intrinsic racism concerns, unprecedented injury frequency rate, media driven scandals, administrative inadequacy and delinquency etc etc. None! Say what you will but all these things have an effect on team on-field performance - How can the coach possibly be held accountable for everything? Surely some of those listed above were out of his control? Conversely, how could the appointment of a new coach rectify all these matters now and in the future, irrespective of how long the encumbent has been there?

Again, I’m not a Buckley devotee or defender - I just deal in facts and what’s justified - in fact if there’s a better option out there capable of bringing us success I’m all for change and sooner rather than later….but until there is I’ll stick fat with our coach ‘Side by Side’.

I’m sure GW is aware of all this and will hopefully be party to the most appropriate decision for the club whatever that brings….a premiership in the next 5 years would be swell 😉

Last edited by Said by Zed on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 43 of 45   

Jump to: