Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley = Renew or Sack?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Buckley be renewed or sacked?
Renewed
30%
 30%  [ 36 ]
Sacked
70%
 70%  [ 84 ]
Total Votes : 120

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

eddiesmith wrote:
There is nothing wrong with the Leigh Brown role, but he was the third forward behind Cloke and Dawes, the problem is since Buckley ran Cloke out of the club, we haven't had 1st and 2nd key forwards.

Yes I agree but it doesn't suit everyone, Bucks tried to move both Dawes and Cloke into that role and well.. look at the results for both players...

It's surprising he hasn't done the same with mihocek who is only 1 cm smaller than Dawes.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:40 pm

I said this when Dawes was traded out, years ago - we have not played anyone in the Leigh Brown Role since MM left. Buckley has always preferred to play only two tall players in the forward line,, one of whom has to ruck. We have never played a mobile 3rd tall/ruck. For a brief period, Buckley did change Grundy and Witts at FF - but that was a joke of a game plan, too. That was just a diversion. The "only 2 talls" stupidity goes back to Buckley's first season. One of the most ridiculous things I ever saw was the game against Brisbane at the 'G when he changed Cam Wood and Lachie Keeffe at CHF when Dawes was out.
MickMCG34 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 pm

Media report today quoting Matthews (IMO the most unbiased, brutally honest football person there is) on the team says all that is necessary to accept that Buckley has “lost” them. No turning back. Rest of the season will be misery for all the players as well. If NB was what many perceive him to be he should/ would walk now. I don’t expect that to happen. 😢
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Achilles wrote:
The club needs to do its due diligence. If a coach they think could do a better is available, then they should offer them the job. Thing is I don't know who that is. Clarkson hasn't exactly turned Hawthorn around. Doesn't look like it either. Ross Lyon is a name I'm hearing but you get mixed reactions to him, same about Mark Williams (he'd be my choice). Sam Mitchell is another but he's untried.

Buckley's record isn't that bad. Compare us to the likes of Carlton, Essendon, North, Freo and many more who've languished at the bottom even after all the cream they've cropped over a 20 year period.

Something must be okay at our place if we can manage a GF nearly every four years (based on last 20 years).

Things are crap. We're likely to be here again next year but a little more competitive if we can find a bit more talent and not have our best injured.

um how many flags did hawthorn win with Clarkson????

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:00 pm

MickMCG34 wrote:
Media report today quoting Matthews (IMO the most unbiased, brutally honest football person there is) on the team says all that is necessary to accept that Buckley has “lost” them. No turning back. Rest of the season will be misery for all the players as well. If NB was what many perceive him to be he should/ would walk now. I don’t expect that to happen. 😢
im with leigh on that, i reckon the pre season stuff has divided the team badly
Bleedblackanwhite 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:00 pm

Haff wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Either way the Club needs to make some sort of statement on the future direction of the football department, sooner rather than later.

Join me in barracking for north next week. Then the jungle drums will surely be beating so loud that surely they will make the move!

I’ve seen some dubious comments on here before, but surely this takes the cake.

I would NEVER cheer on an opposition team over Collingwood just to stick to the club I love.

Clearly you’re not a supporter, nor do you love the club.

Disgraceful

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 pm

I can't believe there are 25% of Collingwood fans prepared to live up to the public stereotype. Perhaps we should check they all have their teeth.

Sack him asap before more damage is done to our young footballers.

But if the clowns have their way and Buckley is reappointed, then expect years of pain and 5,000 members next year. Why should people fork out $800 a year for this crap?
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:16 pm

Ev5Magpies wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
I don't believe Buckley should be re-signed but I'm not against him seeing out the season like Shaw if he's prepared to as none of our assistants interest me as his replacement and I fear any dead cat bounce that might eventuate and put them in our calculations. The decision to terminate should be made long before seasons end though.

I give up if he's re-signed as history is overwhelmingly against him now and some player relationships appear to be frayed perhaps due to the awful PR exercise and seemingly false or exaggerated narrative surrounding Treloar he and the club engaged in.

Game set match this
I’ve been a long Buckley fan but right now I’m of the opinion if your not part of the solution your part of the problem
He’s part of the problem
I believe there is some damage done in the relationship between our coach and the playing group and I doubt it can be repaired
A set of fresh voices to the group with a coach who can develop young talent is what we will need
Also we need a fresh set of eyes to evaluate the entire roster especially the senior playing group
Who stays for the rebuild and who is jettisoned
Some times tough and unpopular decisions have to be made and maybe Buckley can’t or won’t make these calls

Exactly. I'm in the same view.

There is no point sacking him right now, the season is done, give him till the end of the year. A new fresh voice & fresh assistants is what is needed with a clear game plan & tactics.

There are two clear problems with this argument (which really seems to be concerned with "salvaging Buckley's dignity"):

1. He can do irreparable damage to young footballers with his constipated game plan, just when they need to be developed properly.

2. Why not get a head start for next year? Why not use the new coach (Ross Lyon?) to start to rebuild the confidence levels and establish a new game plan so that we hit the ground running next year?

That seems to me to be the most sensible thing to do. Otherwise next year's a total write off as well!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm

David wrote:
Agreed. I don’t see any particular benefit in a mid-season exit, but there’s no way he should be the coach next year. Time for new ideas.

Agree. I can live with this if he's not extended beyond this year.

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
I can’t think of a single change of coach that has been done right at this club so I’m not expecting this one to be done any better. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the club re-signs Buckley for another two year term before the season is out and we’re having this same discussion sometime next year.

I can.

We replaced Hafey with Weideman after winning the wooden spoon in 1976. Hafey transformed us almost overnight and was the first "outsider" to coach Collingwood as all those before him had been Collingwood players prior to becoming senior coaches.

Malthouse was a clear upgrade from Shaw at the end of 1999. We were playing off in back to back grand finals only a few years later.

Johnno75 wrote:
Bucks even in his poor years of 2014-2017, scrounged 9 to 10 wins a season.

We are so far off getting anywhere near 9 wins. This season will statistically be his worst.

If he hasn’t lost the playing group, I’d hate to see the type of footy we play when he does.

The worst year under Buckley in terms of W-L was 2016 and we managed 9 wins. The worst ladder finish was 2017 when we finished 13th with 9.5 wins.

In order to equal that this year, we would need to win 8 out of the last 15, which requires winning at least more than 50% of our remaining games which is highly unlikely at this stage.

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm starting to get very amused by all the posters assuming we are getting a new coach. After hearing Graham Wright on the ABC, it's pretty clear that Bucks is going to be re-appointed. I reckon it might happen sooner rather than later, just to shut up all the endless chatter.

I'm not amused. I'm seething at how the club and some supporters are tolerating perpetual mediocrity when the evidence says change is required.

It's not as if we're demanding we sack Alastair Clarkson and replace him with Mark Neeld. Why is the senior coach such a protected species among the media and some of our own supporter base?

No one is bigger than football club. Sacrificing everything to help one individual is slowly killing the club.

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
It's been commented on many times, but if Buckley is reappointed the general feeling of despair and lack of hope amongst supporters will only grow. Crowds will drop, ratings will drop, and the apathy will continue to grow.

Agree 100%.

The despair and hopelessness is what's hurting the supporter base at the moment. Renewing Buckley would just amplify that.

If the club can't gauge what the general consensus is among the supporter base, then they're more out of touch than I realized.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
It wasn't just Mason... Jesse White, Quentin Lynch and Cameron all fit the same mould of a ruck/forward, and all 4 are of jack of both trades and master of neither. This is part of Buckley's gameplan, don't blame the recruiters, especially not for a Cat B. rookie. The coach tells the recruiters what type of players he wants and they try to find the best available fit within our cap/picks

Well said.

It's a recurring theme in the last decade, and some supporters believe he has nothing to do with the recruiting process Shocked

Just remember, when he announced last week that he "wants the job" beyond this year, he stated he wouldn't change the way he coaches if he was given a new 2-year deal, so don't expect anything to change.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:33 pm

shawthing wrote:
Ev5Magpies wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
I don't believe Buckley should be re-signed but I'm not against him seeing out the season like Shaw if he's prepared to as none of our assistants interest me as his replacement and I fear any dead cat bounce that might eventuate and put them in our calculations. The decision to terminate should be made long before seasons end though.

I give up if he's re-signed as history is overwhelmingly against him now and some player relationships appear to be frayed perhaps due to the awful PR exercise and seemingly false or exaggerated narrative surrounding Treloar he and the club engaged in.

Game set match this
I’ve been a long Buckley fan but right now I’m of the opinion if your not part of the solution your part of the problem
He’s part of the problem
I believe there is some damage done in the relationship between our coach and the playing group and I doubt it can be repaired
A set of fresh voices to the group with a coach who can develop young talent is what we will need
Also we need a fresh set of eyes to evaluate the entire roster especially the senior playing group
Who stays for the rebuild and who is jettisoned
Some times tough and unpopular decisions have to be made and maybe Buckley can’t or won’t make these calls

Exactly. I'm in the same view.

There is no point sacking him right now, the season is done, give him till the end of the year. A new fresh voice & fresh assistants is what is needed with a clear game plan & tactics.

There are two clear problems with this argument (which really seems to be concerned with "salvaging Buckley's dignity"):

1. He can do irreparable damage to young footballers with his constipated game plan, just when they need to be developed properly.

2. Why not get a head start for next year? Why not use the new coach (Ross Lyon?) to start to rebuild the confidence levels and establish a new game plan so that we hit the ground running next year?

That seems to me to be the most sensible thing to do. Otherwise next year's a total write off as well!

If he's not our man, and frankly he shouldn't be, he should be exited forthwith - it makes zero sense to retain him. And frankly what dignity? He said he would walk and its obvious thats a complete lie, he's been deflecting for years... go back through some newspaper articles and quotes he's said on every time it's looked like he would have been sacked if he was at another club but suddenly got renewed by the club (cause of crap spouting out of Eddie's mouth like the 'The easiest thing to do would be sack the coach...'). We always knew your game Eddie... I mean go listen to that presser I linked before where Eddie says 'we've sorted out the clubs problems.. everything's hunky dory' or to that effect in 2017 when clearly that was so far from the truth that if he's swore that on a bible in a court of law he'd be charged with perjury - they've been taking us for fools for yearsss and literally laughing all the way to the bank... Since Eddie's been president, how much money do you think he's made by association in regards to his media career? While you guys fork out your $800 a year to watch his idol drive this trainwreck shame club into the ground just so he can get that elusive flag... if he's resigned I expect him to be resigned again the time after to complete whatever rebuild we must endure regardless of results (cause it'd be hard to be worse than what it is right now), so that's 2 years, plus at least another 2... and if from there we are anywhere near mid table.. another 2 years.. and so on and so on...

MickMCG34 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:40 pm

Matthews was a highly successful playing legend with no coaching experience who had a club basket-case on and off the field dumped on 5 minutes after being an assistant and won it 5 years later.
Hard to beat but some current assistants out there must be capable and worth the risk to get started NOW.
As LM said “there’s no WOW” in this pathetic looking bunch now.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:42 pm

^ And speaking of Matthews if you look for it there is a small article online about 11 years old where he stats the succession plan is basically a silly idea...
MickMCG34 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 pm

We can rely on LM to provide basic common sense about the game of Aussie Rules. Just look at his “scoreboard” and there is not one ounce of sentimentality or emotion in his body.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm

If he's not our man, and frankly he shouldn't be, he should be exited forthwith - it makes zero sense to retain him. And frankly what dignity? He said he would walk and its obvious thats a complete lie, he's been deflecting for years...

As I've said before, I don't believe Buckley will ever walk, because he will never admit (even to himself) that it would be the 'best thing' for the club. He will always think he has something to offer. Self-confidence is part of what made him a great player

I mean go listen to that presser I linked before where Eddie says 'we've sorted out the clubs problems.. everything's hunky dory' or to that effect in 2017

To be fair, we did pretty good in 2018 and 2019. Many of the problems we have today stem from trying to keep the 2018 team together in the belief that we could snag a flag in 2019-2020. Obviously that didn't happen

Since Eddie's been president, how much money do you think he's made by association in regards to his media career?

I don't think that's at all relevant

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Yeah ‘twas me as Sire. Guilty as charged through Eddies guesswork. However be rest assured that my humble post of supporting Bucks on Nick’s will not influence what Collingwood does. Not a chance. So relax my dears your wishes will be granted by Collingwood. Life is like that, you can’t always get what you want but sometimes if you are on the right side, you can get lucky.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 4 of 45   

Jump to: