Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley = Renew or Sack?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Buckley be renewed or sacked?
Renewed
30%
 30%  [ 36 ]
Sacked
70%
 70%  [ 84 ]
Total Votes : 120

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats also amusing RB is the assumption that he has lost the playing group.... how do people come up with this garbage?
Sure, it tests ones character when you're not getting the W's on the board and as a team, you see your season slipping away. But talking about the playing group as if you're amongst them is quite silly really.
I've been part of a few teams that had pretty average seasons, collected wooden spoons and won very few games. Sure, it's not fun, but for every winner, there has to be a loser.

I hope we get it together and flog the kangas this week, looking forward to hearing the song belted out again. Smile

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
I can’t think of a single change of coach that has been done right at this club so I’m not expecting this one to be done any better. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the club re-signs Buckley for another two year term before the season is out and we’re having this same discussion sometime next year.

1999 says hi – was the right time for Shaw to walk, and we got a great coach in Malthouse as a result. Perhaps there were some hurt feelings along the way (I haven't read much about what was happening behind the scenes that year), but you can't question the result.

So that's already one tick from just three (!) Collingwood coaching changes that have happened in my lifetime. We can agree that the Malthouse/Buckley handover could have been done better, and I don't really know the ins and outs of Matthews' departure, but it does seem like things were getting stale by 1995, his later success at Brisbane notwithstanding.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm starting to get very amused by all the posters assuming we are getting a new coach. After hearing Graham Wright on the ABC, it's pretty clear that Bucks is going to be re-appointed. I reckon it might happen sooner rather than later, just to shut up all the endless chatter.

Sure, we have not won a flag under his stewardship, but we have come terribly close, and we are obviously in a re-building phase this year and the next couple. That's how footy works. To win a flag, you need a bit of luck along the way and for the stars to all align. In 1990 Sumich missed a shot on goal which would have put us out of the finals. In 2010 the ball bounced just the right way near the Saints goals, enabling us to escape with a draw. Who knows, if those lucky events had not occurred, maybe we would not be referring to Matthews and Malthouse as Collingwood Premiership coaches.

Of course, I'm as frustrated at our current predicament as everyone, but I don't blame it on our coach. He is doing the best he can with the cattle at his disposal. History may show that our recruiters have been very ordinary, and in particular, relying on the drafting of a 7 ft American to solve our key forward problems, was a major blunder, setting back our flag prospects by 5 yrs. What we do know, is that Bucks was keen to recruit Lynch, and was caught by the press sneaking out the back of Lynch's family home in Blairgowrie, after an attempt to persuade him to come to us. As it turned out, our recruiters instead threw a bucket load of money and draft picks, to get Beams back to the Pies. Blind Freddy could see warning signs all over that move. Who was our head of footy then? Who was our head of recruiting and list management? It certainly wasn't Bucks. Nevertheless, Bucks nearly won us a flag in 2018 and 2019. I am supremely confident he is the best person to re-build our list, as he successfully did 2013-2017.

yeah id love to have that blind faith again, but can you honestly say that a coach has no say in who is drafted??

i mean i would think the last 10 years says, well since Cloke was pushed out, that any coach before draft time would lay naked on the pulpit and say "for the love of god, get me a FULL FORWARD!!!

then mate, and only then, will all our dreams come true. we have had the best centre, the best back line, when was the last time we were in cooee of the best forward line?????

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:12 pm

David wrote:
I can’t think of a single change of coach that has been done right at this club so I’m not expecting this one to be done any better. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the club re-signs Buckley for another two year term before the season is out and we’re having this same discussion sometime next year.

1999 says hi – was the right time for Shaw to walk, and we got a great coach in Malthouse as a result. Perhaps there were some hurt feelings along the way (I haven't read much about what was happening behind the scenes that year), but you can't question the result.

So that's already one tick from just three (!) Collingwood coaching changes that have happened in my lifetime. We can agree that the Malthouse/Buckley handover could have been done better, and I don't really know the ins and outs of Matthews' departure, but it does seem like things were getting stale by 1995, his later success at Brisbane notwithstanding.

so you think he will walk/be pushed??

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:23 pm

think positive wrote:

yeah id love to have that blind faith again, but can you honestly say that a coach has no say in who is drafted??

i mean i would think the last 10 years says, well since Cloke was pushed out, that any coach before draft time would lay naked on the pulpit and say "for the love of god, get me a FULL FORWARD!!!

then mate, and only then, will all our dreams come true. we have had the best centre, the best back line, when was the last time we were in cooee of the best forward line?????

When you consider it was Buckley who was responsible for Cloke being pushed out, well, maybe Buckleys game plan doesn't revolve around having a key forward?

But it is funny to read someone claiming we got close to a premiership in 2019, making a prelim and playing like shit is not getting close. Richmond would have thrashed us the next week.

Then we played GWS in 2020 and did the exact things that failed in 2019, people keep complaining about pointing out how every year bar one we've gone backwards, but its the truth. There has been no signs from Buckley of improvement or changing his ways. It hasn't worked, so why do people think by some miracle it's going to suddenly come good?

That one year we did improve? We got in some decent assistant coaches and Buckley took a back step. Newsflash, quality assistant coaches aren't going to stick around as assistants if they're doing the heavy lifting, they'll want the head coaching job.

It's simply time for a new voice, we need to rebuild and we may as well get the youngsters to learn a quality game plan under a decent coach from the start rather than wasting another 2 years under poor leadership.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:30 pm

Well maybe he will be resigned, but either way they should make a call publically and soon before the club implodes.

Now obviously I think they'd be insane to resign him but whatever... I don't make the calls. If we resign him will he eventually win a flag? I guess we'll only find out if we resign him.. will it be anytime soon..? No, we require an almost top to bottom rebuild to actually build something that would be more than a one hit wonder. Do we want a one hit wonder... I'm doubting it, so it needs to be a long methodical rebuild and that'll require time - apart from N.Daicos, next year is pretty much a right off unless we trade players like JDG (and even than, he's lost value from last year). It's a long road we face folks, now we can either a) surround Bucks with competent assistants and mother him to a flag in 4-5 years... maybe.. (unless it's a fluke earlier, although who knows we could resign him forever and it may not happen?), or b) we can start afresh with a new coach, a new outlook.. unchained and zero baggage...?

If you guys really think 15-20 years of Nathan as head coach for a 'chance' at 'a flag' is really the answer than go right ahead and resign him. Hopefully they make the call today either way, because if they resign him again... it might as well be for life.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:59 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

so you think he will walk/be pushed??

I would honestly be pretty surprised if he doesn't make the call himself midway through the season, though to be fair I have been surprised at him being re-signed previously when it seemed he was running out of time. I'm usually one of the most reluctant when it comes to changing coaches, but it does seem like Buckley's lost his mojo and I can't see any way forward for the club unless something changes fundamentally.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:38 pm

Groundhog Day - New deal: Bucks' full presser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MugPRVnWeA0

Achilles 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm

The club needs to do its due diligence. If a coach they think could do a better is available, then they should offer them the job. Thing is I don't know who that is. Clarkson hasn't exactly turned Hawthorn around. Doesn't look like it either. Ross Lyon is a name I'm hearing but you get mixed reactions to him, same about Mark Williams (he'd be my choice). Sam Mitchell is another but he's untried.

Buckley's record isn't that bad. Compare us to the likes of Carlton, Essendon, North, Freo and many more who've languished at the bottom even after all the cream they've cropped over a 20 year period.

Something must be okay at our place if we can manage a GF nearly every four years (based on last 20 years).

Things are crap. We're likely to be here again next year but a little more competitive if we can find a bit more talent and not have our best injured.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Groundhog Day - New deal: Bucks' full presser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MugPRVnWeA0

Then all will be right with the world. We will draft a 7ft beast from the Himalayas to play FF on the bargain basement of $50k a year and he will lead us to our next flag.

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
think positive wrote:

When you consider it was Buckley who was responsible for Cloke being pushed out, well, maybe Buckleys game plan doesn't revolve around having a key forward?

But it is funny to read someone claiming we got close to a premiership in 2019, making a prelim and playing like shit is not getting close. Richmond would have thrashed us the next week.

Then we played GWS in 2020 and did the exact things that failed in 2019, people keep complaining about pointing out how every year bar one we've gone backwards, but its the truth. There has been no signs from Buckley of improvement or changing his ways. It hasn't worked, so why do people think by some miracle it's going to suddenly come good?

That one year we did improve? We got in some decent assistant coaches and Buckley took a back step. Newsflash, quality assistant coaches aren't going to stick around as assistants if they're doing the heavy lifting, they'll want the head coaching job.

It's simply time for a new voice, we need to rebuild and we may as well get the youngsters to learn a quality game plan under a decent coach from the start rather than wasting another 2 years under poor leadership.

This 100%

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
History may show that our recruiters have been very ordinary, and in particular, relying on the drafting of a 7 ft American to solve our key forward problems, was a major blunder, setting back our flag prospects by 5 yrs

It wasn't just Mason... Jesse White, Quentin Lynch and Cameron all fit the same mould of a ruck/forward, and all 4 are of jack of both trades and master of neither. This is part of Buckley's gameplan, don't blame the recruiters, especially not for a Cat B. rookie. The coach tells the recruiters what type of players he wants and they try to find the best available fit within our cap/picks

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:22 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
History may show that our recruiters have been very ordinary, and in particular, relying on the drafting of a 7 ft American to solve our key forward problems, was a major blunder, setting back our flag prospects by 5 yrs

It wasn't just Mason... Jesse White, Quentin Lynch and Cameron all fit the same mould of a ruck/forward, and all 4 are of jack of both trades and master of neither. This is part of Buckley's gameplan, don't blame the recruiters, especially not for a Cat B. rookie. The coach tells the recruiters what type of players he wants and they try to find the best available fit within our cap/picks

This!!!!!

Buckley has NEVER respected the KPF position. I get the feeling he may have been responsible for Leigh Brown coming to the club and has persisted with trying to find the next player to play the Leigh Brown role.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:13 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Buckley has NEVER respected the KPF position. I get the feeling he may have been responsible for Leigh Brown coming to the club and has persisted with trying to find the next player to play the Leigh Brown role.

Or maybe someone else thought of bringing Leigh to the club, and Buck's just figured he could mimic and shortcut the same idea with semi suitable (or non suitable) players. We also have to remember Buck's finished off his career playing forward (because his hammies were shot) and he did ok there actually while they held up.. and so maybe he just thinks its easy for 'de facto' mids to be playing as forwards.. its funny because he obviously tried to hybrid a ruck forward and have lots of mid sized unskilled mids running repeat efforts around a solid defense. He has zero other ideas. 1. The game is going away from the style he believes in and 2. he took lots of shortcuts, and longshots with his recruiting - he has NEVER ever tried to build the side from the ground up? So I'm not particularly confident he'll be able to do so now when for the last ten years he's pretty much tried to do the opposite.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:22 pm

There is nothing wrong with the Leigh Brown role, but he was the third forward behind Cloke and Dawes, the problem is since Buckley ran Cloke out of the club, we haven't had 1st and 2nd key forwards.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 3 of 45   

Jump to: