Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley = Renew or Sack?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Buckley be renewed or sacked?
Renewed
30%
 30%  [ 36 ]
Sacked
70%
 70%  [ 84 ]
Total Votes : 120

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

People are entitled to their opinions, some with argue for the retention of Buckley while probably more as of now will argue he needs to be replaced.

When it's all said and done though often the most positive course of action a club can choose in this situation is follow the one that sells hope to the majority of it's members and supporters moving forward.

As of right now and unless something drastically changes before seasons end I don't see how retaining Buckley will possibly sell that message of hope to the majority above what a new coach and fresh beginning would provide.

While the club will ultimately make a decision based on a variety of factors I'm already tired by some in the media trying to use the Damien Hardwick example as a reason to retain Buckley.

That might have worked once, hell it might have even been relevant back in 2017 but not again and not now under these circumstances.

The simple reality is Hardwick was heading towards his second Premiership in charge of Richmond in his 10th season while Buckley and Collingwood are heading towards a bottom 4 to 6 finish.

Selling hope isn't the best reason to replace a coach but sometimes it's reason enough when hope is fading and a decision is upon you.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:40 pm

^^^^
Yep, the club needs to sell hope.
That is the only thing that is marketable.
Hope is often is a mirage...But I don't care.
I like the line about hope in the Shawshank movie.
Hope is a good thing......
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:38 pm

The thing is we were in exactly the same situation before Hardwick was successful and that time they used the Bomber Thompson example... its clutching at straws.

The sun is setting, time for a new dawn.

MickMCG34 

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 pm

“Hope” and optimism also sell memberships and makes the turnstiles click.
Not to be sneezed at $$$$$.
NB please go.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:31 pm

MickMCG34 wrote:
Mick McGuane as coach no problem

Surely would have been offered a VFL/AFL role already if he wanted and was up to it. Only has 1 season at STK under Thomas, 15 years ago. Everything else sub-VFL

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 pm

I’m in the minority but that’s fine, I can handle that. I have repeatedly stated that to make an informed decision, I need to know who the confirmed candidates are. Otherwise I honestly fear that we could go from the frying pan to the fire. With our damn luck, anything is possible🥺 So I will continue to support Bucks until the options appear in public. Then I will make a decision.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:59 pm

Lazza wrote:
I’m in the minority but that’s fine, I can handle that. I have repeatedly stated that to make an informed decision, I need to know who the confirmed candidates are. Otherwise I honestly fear that we could go from the frying pan to the fire. With our damn luck, anything is possible🥺 So I will continue to support Bucks until the options appear in public. Then I will make a decision.

Plenty of options out there, plenty.

They never did their due diligence with Buckley after Malthouse (and I doubt you questioned that) and look at us after 10 years due to the failures of McGuire and Buckley.

Wake up Collingwood.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 am

BEAMER09 wrote:
Lazza wrote:

They never did their due diligence with Buckley after Malthouse (and I doubt you questioned that) and look at us after 10 years due to the failures of McGuire and Buckley.

Wake up Collingwood.

Buckley was assistant to Malthouse for 2 years. Enough time for due diligence. Sick of posters being wise after the events which is bloody easy to do. Were you asking for him to be sacked after your due diligence at the end of the season in 2018? I don’t think so Buddy. I stand by what I said, I will look at coaching options when they become available and then consider if they will fit the bill for Collingwood. Change for change sake will be a bloody disaster. I fear that replacing Bucks with an inappropriate candidate will put Collingwood further into the mire. An old saying comes to mind, “you never know what you got until it’s gone”. We need to tread carefully and put the club first rather than trying to please the Buckley haters baying for his blood😟

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:58 am

Lazza wrote:
I have repeatedly stated that to make an informed decision, I need to know who the confirmed candidates are... So I will continue to support Bucks until the options appear in public. Then I will make a decision.

You/we aren't going to be consulted. So you might as well speculate/wish along with the rest

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:43 am

Lazza wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Wake up Collingwood.

Buckley was assistant to Malthouse for 2 years. Enough time for due diligence. Sick of posters being wise after the events which is bloody easy to do. Were you asking for him to be sacked after your due diligence at the end of the season in 2018? I don’t think so Buddy. I stand by what I said, I will look at coaching options when they become available and then consider if they will fit the bill for Collingwood. Change for change sake will be a bloody disaster. I fear that replacing Bucks with an inappropriate candidate will put Collingwood further into the mire. An old saying comes to mind, “you never know what you got until it’s gone”. We need to tread carefully and put the club first rather than trying to please the Buckley haters baying for his blood😟

It's never been about hating Buckley. It's always been about the Club. He has been their 10 years, way too too long for a so-called great club and he has not delivered, he has diminished this club.

He should've gone atleast 5 years ago!.

As I've said many times before, would you have supported and been just as supportive if was one of these guys coaching since 2012 (Matthew Knights, Rodney Eade, Brendan McCartney, Brenton Sanderson, Michael Voss, Justin Leppitsch, Scott Waters, John Worsfold etc), I very much doubt it.

Eddie never did his due diligence, he lived his fascination.

Personally, we don't need to tread carefully after 10 years and if we do need to put the club first, then the club has to act now and get a new Coach.

Enough is Enough.

Wake up Collingwood.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:45 am

Lazza he was rubber stamped, they never did any due diligence with Buckley.

Eddie most likely started thinking it up as Nathan's hammies were exploding... look how quick Nathan went from being a former player to head coach.

It was a terrible romantic idea filled with zero actual real substance, he was given a premiership squad and it nosedived (and no... no more excuses... 2011 was our best ever h&w season... ever).

The whole thing was concocted by Eddie, and he's the real villain here.

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 am

Lazza wrote:

...Change for change sake will be a bloody disaster. ....

Which is precisely what we got in 2012.

Malthouse had back-to-back grand finals and clearly 'had' the team. We were the youngest premiership team in decades and on the dawn of a dynasty (a la Tigers). Buckley was parachuted in as McGuire was fearful he would leave for North's top job. This has been an unmitigated disaster and was nothing more than cronyism. For those that can see without Black & White glasses on that was obvious.

So, now is the time to turn it all around. We have the basis of a new list (albeit with a lot of unproven talent) and we need a new coach... after a long and onerous due diligence period - beginning now!

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:58 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Eddie most likely started thinking it up as Nathan's hammies were exploding... look how quick Nathan went from being a former player to head coach.

It was a terrible romantic idea filled with zero actual real substance, he was given a premiership squad and it nosedived (and no... no more excuses... 2011 was our best ever h&w season... ever).

Absolutely. 100% Correct.

Let's put it behind us now, please!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:40 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
I have repeatedly stated that to make an informed decision, I need to know who the confirmed candidates are... So I will continue to support Bucks until the options appear in public. Then I will make a decision.

You/we aren't going to be consulted. So you might as well speculate/wish along with the rest

I know my valued opinion will not be sought😉 It’s about knowing just who is available so that I can decide who I want or don’t want to coach Collingwood.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:57 am
Post subject: 🍉🍎qa😮Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

The succession plan was put into place by Eddie and I supported it 100%. It excited me that my second all time favourite Magpie (after Greening) was going to coach the club. I was not to know that it wouldn’t bear fruit. I don’t see Eddie as the villain, he always had Collingwood’s best interest at heart. The facts are facts. 5 frigging points and a truly rotten umpiring non-decision cost us a flag. A bit of a stretch to paint Eddie as the villain. It was incompetent umpiring at the end to blame, even the AFL admitted this.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 15 of 45   

Jump to: