Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley = Renew or Sack?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Buckley be renewed or sacked?
Renewed
30%
 30%  [ 36 ]
Sacked
70%
 70%  [ 84 ]
Total Votes : 120

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think the club will sack him,I just think they won’t renew his contract like they did with Tony Shaw back in the day.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 11:04 pm

Bucks even in his poor years of 2014-2017, scrounged 9 to 10 wins a season.

We are so far off getting anywhere near 9 wins. This season will statistically be his worst.

If he hasn’t lost the playing group, I’d hate to see the type of footy we play when he does.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:03 am

I don't believe Buckley should be re-signed but I'm not against him seeing out the season like Shaw if he's prepared to as none of our assistants interest me as his replacement and I fear any dead cat bounce that might eventuate and put them in our calculations. The decision to terminate should be made long before seasons end though.

I give up if he's re-signed as history is overwhelmingly against him now and some player relationships appear to be frayed perhaps due to the awful PR exercise and seemingly false or exaggerated narrative surrounding Treloar he and the club engaged in.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:43 am

Agreed. I don’t see any particular benefit in a mid-season exit, but there’s no way he should be the coach next year. Time for new ideas.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 am

swoop42 wrote:
I don't believe Buckley should be re-signed but I'm not against him seeing out the season like Shaw if he's prepared to as none of our assistants interest me as his replacement and I fear any dead cat bounce that might eventuate and put them in our calculations. The decision to terminate should be made long before seasons end though.

I give up if he's re-signed as history is overwhelmingly against him now and some player relationships appear to be frayed perhaps due to the awful PR exercise and seemingly false or exaggerated narrative surrounding Treloar he and the club engaged in.

Game set match this
I’ve been a long Buckley fan but right now I’m of the opinion if your not part of the solution your part of the problem
He’s part of the problem
I believe there is some damage done in the relationship between our coach and the playing group and I doubt it can be repaired
A set of fresh voices to the group with a coach who can develop young talent is what we will need
Also we need a fresh set of eyes to evaluate the entire roster especially the senior playing group
Who stays for the rebuild and who is jettisoned
Some times tough and unpopular decisions have to be made and maybe Buckley can’t or won’t make these calls
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 am

Either way the Club needs to make some sort of statement on the future direction of the football department, sooner rather than later.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:27 am

I can’t think of a single change of coach that has been done right at this club so I’m not expecting this one to be done any better. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if the club re-signs Buckley for another two year term before the season is out and we’re having this same discussion sometime next year.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:54 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Either way the Club needs to make some sort of statement on the future direction of the football department, sooner rather than later.

Join me in barracking for north next week. Then the jungle drums will surely be beating so loud that surely they will make the move!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:00 am

i agree, give us a chance to cancel the roll over and lower our membership choice!!!

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 am

Haff wrote:

Join me in barracking for north next week. Then the jungle drums will surely be beating so loud that surely they will make the move!

Hmmm I feel ya and regardless of how much I want Bucks to go, I'd still prefer us to win and not venture further towards that elusive wooden spoon.. mind you I might put a few $$ on Nth... the odds are way overs right now.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am

think positive wrote:

i agree, give us a chance to cancel the roll over and lower our membership choice!!!

I don't doubt that if they resign Nathan, memberships will take a fair whack and won't return until we look competitive again.. which might be awhile since it's obvious we're rebuilding (some might think it's a reset and right now it is, but we actually require a 'rebuild') and need massive changes have to happen to our list.

Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:34 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Game set match this
I’ve been a long Buckley fan but right now I’m of the opinion if your not part of the solution your part of the problem
He’s part of the problem
I believe there is some damage done in the relationship between our coach and the playing group and I doubt it can be repaired
A set of fresh voices to the group with a coach who can develop young talent is what we will need
Also we need a fresh set of eyes to evaluate the entire roster especially the senior playing group
Who stays for the rebuild and who is jettisoned
Some times tough and unpopular decisions have to be made and maybe Buckley can’t or won’t make these calls

Exactly. I'm in the same view.

There is no point sacking him right now, the season is done, give him till the end of the year. A new fresh voice & fresh assistants is what is needed with a clear game plan & tactics.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am

Haff wrote:

Hmmm I feel ya and regardless of how much I want Bucks to go, I'd still prefer us to win and not venture further towards that elusive wooden spoon.. mind you I might put a few $$ on Nth... the odds are way overs right now.

Already did, it’s a 50:50 game at best so then being $3.30 is way overs.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:59 am

I'm sorry, but I'm starting to get very amused by all the posters assuming we are getting a new coach. After hearing Graham Wright on the ABC, it's pretty clear that Bucks is going to be re-appointed. I reckon it might happen sooner rather than later, just to shut up all the endless chatter.

Sure, we have not won a flag under his stewardship, but we have come terribly close, and we are obviously in a re-building phase this year and the next couple. That's how footy works. To win a flag, you need a bit of luck along the way and for the stars to all align. In 1990 Sumich missed a shot on goal which would have put us out of the finals. In 2010 the ball bounced just the right way near the Saints goals, enabling us to escape with a draw. Who knows, if those lucky events had not occurred, maybe we would not be referring to Matthews and Malthouse as Collingwood Premiership coaches.

Of course, I'm as frustrated at our current predicament as everyone, but I don't blame it on our coach. He is doing the best he can with the cattle at his disposal. History may show that our recruiters have been very ordinary, and in particular, relying on the drafting of a 7 ft American to solve our key forward problems, was a major blunder, setting back our flag prospects by 5 yrs. What we do know, is that Bucks was keen to recruit Lynch, and was caught by the press sneaking out the back of Lynch's family home in Blairgowrie, after an attempt to persuade him to come to us. As it turned out, our recruiters instead threw a bucket load of money and draft picks, to get Beams back to the Pies. Blind Freddy could see warning signs all over that move. Who was our head of footy then? Who was our head of recruiting and list management? It certainly wasn't Bucks. Nevertheless, Bucks nearly won us a flag in 2018 and 2019. I am supremely confident he is the best person to re-build our list, as he successfully did 2013-2017.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:19 pm

I hate to be picky Rudeboy but when Sumich missed that goal, it was the qualifying final played in the first week of the finals, with 2 v 3. If we had lost we were not out of the finals, we would have played Melbourne the next week.

It's been commented on many times, but if Buckley is reappointed the general feeling of despair and lack of hope amongst supporters will only grow. Crowds will drop, ratings will drop, and the apathy will continue to grow.

As someone that loved Buckley as a player, wanted him to become coach and took many years to change my mind about his coaching, looking for ways to rationalise his poor results due to injuries etc. it was when we became a better team that he lost me. His efforts in the grand final and the prelim the next year were disastrous. Whenever I see him interviewed after a game all that I see is the Black Knight from Monty Python.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 2 of 45   

Jump to: