Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Suns sink Pies. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazza wrote:
The conundrum that needs to be considered as a distinct possibility is this :-

The standard expectation is that a new coach bringing instant success is a given. Okay if not instant, say within 5 years. Has anyone considered that a new coach might get worse results? Would it be that in retrospect, it might show that Bucks did a tremendous job with the list he had? A kind of retrospective respect? Do we have unrealistic expectations of our players?Logical thinking tells me that expecting success with a new coach is only part of speculative thinking, akin to changing your tattslotto numbers and expecting to win first division immediately. 🙄
To me our current problems maybe covering up much deeper issues that interfere with plans designed for achieving success.

Lazza, you may be the only one with unrealistic expectations of our coach and players. Many of us saw the Suns winning but you tipped us to win by 20 to 30 points! Even if we had won, we don't have the game plan to be so far in front of another team.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:55 am

Moved
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:18 pm

Player of the week is Brody Mihocek.

My favourite player. Love ya Checkers. No player works harder or does it with a more humble, "just get it done" attitude.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:06 pm

JC Hartley wrote:
Darkness has risen, and the term rock-bottom has reached a new level of prominence at Collingwood after their inept and wasteful display against the Gold Coast Suns, when they failed by 24 points (4 goals) for the second consecutive match in as many weekends. The Magpies were extremely embarrassing to put it politely, and played with no care, effort or desire to compete against an opponent who did as they pleased for the vast duration of the contest, and punished the Magpies accordingly. As soon as the final siren had sounded, I made the assessment that Collingwood are now at rock-bottom for the first time in years, which I rarely mention and found it increasingly staggering that the club I embrace, and will continue to embrace has found themselves in a plight it cannot counter nor conquer in the immediate future. As far as Nathan Buckley's destiny as coach is concerned, I will keep endorsing him until he is no longer coaching the club. That's as philosophical as I will be about this predicament, and how clear my judgement will remain in the foreseeable future. The countless reports about Bucks in recent times is extremely tiring and are sounding like broken records. I'm not in the camp of axing Buckley. However, I remain open to the possibilities of who might coach the Woods in the event Bucks has had enough, or the club hierarchy determine with him that the club needs movement at the station.

Collingwood only won a handful of statistical categories. They were handballs by +9 (149 - 140), hit-outs were won by +36 (50 - 14), +6 for clearances (37 - 31), with a differential of +7 from stoppage clearances (27 - 20), and Tackles Inside 50 had an advantage of +1 ( 9 - 8 ). Gold Coast had a differential of +33 for disposals (403 - 370), kicks were won by +42 (263 - 221), while contested possessions were up by +2 (138 - 136), and uncontested possessions had a margin of +38 (267 - 229). Centre clearances were won by +1 (11 - 10), +3 from intercept possessions (75 - 72), tackles were +7 (58 - 51), while uncontested marks had a gap of +43 (125 - 82), Contested Marks were up by +5 (21 - 16), and +4 for Marks Inside 50 ( 12 - 8 ). The Suns capped off proceedings with a differential of +3 for Inside 50s (50 - 47), which highlighted how all of those marks and kicks the Suns won against the Magpies came about because Collingwood did not attempt to put any substantial pressure to close those marks or kicks down, which allowed Gold Coast every opportunity to score enough goals, which eventuated promptly and subsequently denied any prospect of a victory for the Magpies when the game concluded.

Josh Daicos (27 disposals @ 74%, 229 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 16 handballs, 4 marks, 5 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 8 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) was one of the few players to stand up in the midfield by creating opportunties for the team to score and tackled ferociously when he did not have the ball. Got reward from his tackling with a classy snap which he converted in the third term.

Scott Pendlebury (26 disposals @ 69%, 371 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 11 handballs, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 6 clearances, 6 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50s) won enough disposals to be influential, yet he proved to be ineffective at times.

Brodie Grundy (21 disposals @ 76%, 219 metres gained, 15 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 37 hit-outs, 10 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 tackles, 7 score involvements, 5 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 2 stoppage clearances & 1 goal) had a field day, but had minimal support beneath his taps for the team to cash in on his dominance against inferior opponents.

Steele Sidebottom (21 disposals @ 86%, 283 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 9 handballs, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) had an improved game with his ball use considerably better compared to his form in recent weeks. Worked hard to win his possessions at all times.

Isaac Quaynor (21 disposals @ 48%, 474 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) had a highly wasteful game at half-back, with a number of his kicks missing targets. 9 turnovers for a player of his calibre, is too high and too many. Quaynor will look to reduce those errors next weekend.

John Noble (20 disposals @80%, 438 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 18 kicks, 2 handballs, 4 marks, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) maintained his high disposal efficiency from defence to give his teammates an opportunity to mark the ball on a regular basis.

Nathan Murphy (15 disposals @ 73%, 241 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 5 handballs, 7 marks, 2 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) backed in his ability to intercept the ball aerially, used the ball wisely, and provided the highlight of a forgettable loss with a Nick Riewoldt-like mark running back with the flight of the ball in the third term.

Mark Keane (13 disposals @ 85%, 223 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 4 handballs, 7 marks, 3 Contested Marks, 3 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) displayed his aerial capabilities behind the ball by taking a number of nice marks. Keane is very inexperienced as a key defender who has proven he is yet to contain opponents who kick goals on him. Once Keane knows where to position himself more often in marking contests, he'll become a much-improved footballer.

Brody Mihocek (24 disposals @ 50%, 552 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 20 kicks, 4 handballs, 12 marks, 5 Marks Inside 50, 8 score involvements, 8 Inside 50s & 4 goals) was comfortably Collingwood's best player, and easily the best forward for the Magpies with his ability to lead up and take marks, and regularly impacted the scoreboard when nobody else could complete the task. Would love to see you kick 5 goals in a game before your career ends at AFL level, Brody. Pefect opportunity to achieve that landmark next weekend.

Beau McCreery (10 disposals @ 70%, 240 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 4 kicks, 6 handballs, 9 tackles, 4 Tackles Inside 50 & 3 Inside 50s) has continued to display his brand of footy with ferocious tackling and pressure. He has had a crack in all of the games he has played so far. Hopefully you'll get to taste victory with a Powerade shower next weekend, Beau. You're fast becoming one of my favourite players at the club.

Collingwood's next game will be against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on May 8. Time to pull your fingers out, Collingwood! Get back to playing the brand of footy you're capable of producing against the worst-ranked team in the competition. Make an emphasis on starting the game well, maintain the rage, then put the Kangaroos to the sword in the last quarter. This could easily be the last game of the 2021 season that Collingwood enters as favourites, so cash in now and deliver a much-needed victory to hang our hats on before the road gets even harder. I want you to do well, Woods, but you're not showing any signs of that in more recent times. Prove to the critics that you can bruise the Roos and collect the points.

Great report JCH. I see Noble continues to have consistent DE of 80% and over. 18 uncontested possessions means he (continues) to work hard and make space. Well done him.

Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:10 pm

Titus O’Reily’s take:

Collingwood (55) v Gold Coast (79)

I’m sure Pies fans, while upset at losing this and sitting 17 on the ladder, are just so happy at winning the jumper battle against Port they barely care.

It’s all about priorities.

Let’s get this straight, the Pies managed to pull together a roster, with a salary bill so high they had to offload very good players to stay under the cap, and still only managed to build a side that’s 1-6.

That doesn’t seem like good list management.

The Pies have long struggled without a forward line, but they seem to be going about removing their midfield and defence too.

The thing is, every Pies fan could see this coming, but the people they pay to run their club could not. In fact, their sort-of-ex president, still argues anyone that questions the trade period is some sort of idiot.

For the Gold Coast, this is exactly the sort of performance you’d want to see from the talent on their list.

An astounding amount of their players hadn’t even played on the MCG before, but on Saturday they seemed like the home team.

Obviously, what separated the Suns and the Pies, is that no one is interested in stealing the Suns jumper.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 pm

Sensei Grundy wrote:
Titus O’Reily’s take:

Collingwood (55) v Gold Coast (79)

I’m sure Pies fans, while upset at losing this and sitting 17 on the ladder, are just so happy at winning the jumper battle against Port they barely care.

It’s all about priorities.

Let’s get this straight, the Pies managed to pull together a roster, with a salary bill so high they had to offload very good players to stay under the cap, and still only managed to build a side that’s 1-6.

That doesn’t seem like good list management.

The Pies have long struggled without a forward line, but they seem to be going about removing their midfield and defence too.

The thing is, every Pies fan could see this coming, but the people they pay to run their club could not. In fact, their sort-of-ex president, still argues anyone that questions the trade period is some sort of idiot.

For the Gold Coast, this is exactly the sort of performance you’d want to see from the talent on their list.

An astounding amount of their players hadn’t even played on the MCG before, but on Saturday they seemed like the home team.

Obviously, what separated the Suns and the Pies, is that no one is interested in stealing the Suns jumper.

scary that he makes sense!!!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:14 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Player of the week is Brody Mihocek.

My favourite player. Love ya Checkers. No player works harder or does it with a more humble, "just get it done" attitude.

hes like that in person, he goes to a vegan health food cafe near me, he is so lovely.

Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:27 pm

The season could have been infinitely worst had we lost to Carlton, too.

Now, there’s a positive.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:28 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
However much longer Buckley stays, this attitude of "I shouldn't have to motivate the players or teach basic skills" has to change, since we're severely lacking in both, regardless of what "should" be the case or not

Piesnchess wrote:
i actually dont envy our next Coach, really, the expectation on him to produce instant results will be huge, massive, from the outset

Any new coach worthy of the job will demand a 3 year contract and the understanding that we're rebuilding. People in Hell want iced water, they're not getting it

It'll be funny because the roles will be completely reversed and those few remaining staunch supporters of our soon to be ex coach will be reveling in any losses and saying they were right, bring back Bucks...

It's so predictable you would swear they're actually Carlton supporters in disguise
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:36 pm

Sensei Grundy wrote:

Now, there’s a positive.

Yes, and one TINY other positive, and hell, we take anything now, is that so far we have not been absolutely belted by any team, like say, ten goals or so.. Look at yesterday, Hawks smashed by Saints, Crows destroyed, Port belted, last week Eagles lost by 97 points. This hasnt happened to us, our backs seem to do a pretty good job, against all odds, its the centres and forwards that let us done constantly. Oh and young Murphys mark l was one of greatest ive seen, so much courage, guts, equal to Riewoltds some yrs ago. The kids are our other positive.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:53 pm

Well you would hope we wouldn't get belted given our entire game plan is based on defending.

Now if we could work out a way to actually kick a big score as well, we'd be a premiership contender. But we haven't been able to do that since about 2011
neil Sagittarius

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
neil wrote:
Predictable outcry by some posters
Guess what ??? The players are also to blame
It is not just the coach the players are also to blame
Why didnt our midfield man up when the ball was turned over
If your direct opponent is 40 meters away from you then it is your fault not the coach

Poulter went well for a first game
Buckley is gone at the end of year

Yeah. Let’s blame Poulter, Murphy, Keane, Cameron, MaCrae, Rantall, Tyler Brown, McCreery and Henry. All their fault. Seriously what are we expecting? Yesterday’s game was always going to be tough. I said before the game that I was hoping for a win but not all that confident. The players are the last people we should be blaming. They’re doing their best. GCS had about six players out there, some gun midfielders, mostly high end first round draft picks. Where were our first round draft picks yesterday? Oh, that’s right. We frittered them away on Treloar, Stephenson and Beams. Yeah, keep keep blaming the loss on the players. That should make them play harder against North next week. And the week after that against Sydney.

I said Poulter played well and Buckley is gone but every player is taught to man up but our team didnt. I did not point fingers at any player and there were a lot of players who could look at their performance and would not be happy. These are more experienced players

Yes our list management has been poor
The President and GM are gone and the coach will go at the end of season and probably a few more

5 from the wing on debut 

Piesnchess wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:

Now, there’s a positive.

Yes, and one TINY other positive, and hell, we take anything now, is that so far we have not been absolutely belted by any team, like say, ten goals or so.. Look at yesterday, Hawks smashed by Saints, Crows destroyed, Port belted, last week Eagles lost by 97 points. This hasnt happened to us, our backs seem to do a pretty good job, against all odds, its the centres and forwards that let us done constantly. Oh and young Murphys mark l was one of greatest ive seen, so much courage, guts, equal to Riewoltds some yrs ago. The kids are our other positive.

Is it an omen that in 1976 we defeated Carlton and continued on to win our first wooden spoon? Although, the next year we had a new coach.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:05 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Well you would hope we wouldn't get belted given our entire game plan is based on defending.

Now if we could work out a way to actually kick a big score as well, we'd be a premiership contender. But we haven't been able to do that since about 2011

Defenders do save games, as we know .We get the ball up forward enough, but our delivery is poor, our forwards, aside from Checkers, are way down on confidence, losing Elliott was a rotten blow. Tay would help our centre, but hes gone for while too, but thats life. Our kids try hard, do their best, its our more senior guys that need a huge rocket up them, they have let the Club down too, they must share some of the blame for this dire straits.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Defenders do save games, as we know .We get the ball up forward enough, but our delivery is poor, our forwards, aside from Checkers, are way down on confidence, losing Elliott was a rotten blow. Tay would help our centre, but hes gone for while too, but thats life. Our kids try hard, do their best, its our more senior guys that need a huge rocket up them, they have let the Club down too, they must share some of the blame for this dire straits.

Dire Straits is apt.

That ain't workin that's the way you do it.
Money for nothin'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22   

Jump to: