Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies dumped by Eagles. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Darcy Moore is our best KPF so to insist on him playing back is creating the problem that we have struggled with for a while and that is kicking goals.
For the first time in quite a while I felt like we were in with a chance with 10 min to go with Moore up forward as a target.
Compare this with Cox as a target. Games were over as soon as we go more than three goals behind.

Madgen could’ve easily been switched back to defence once Howe went down instead of leaving him on the wing with Maynard left to play as a tall defender.

Moore lead out many times and wasn’t used by the incoming kick but this will be the change that we need. Our players mindset has been stuck on bombing the ball to the top of the goal square. Moore up forward working hard and presenting with force them to lower their eyes....which they have not been programmed to do with lazier forwards like Cox.

Tanuki 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:13 am

Kelly has to be reported for that 'bump', seriously, how can escape a review?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:17 am

Tanuki wrote:
Kelly has to be reported for that 'bump', seriously, how can escape a review?

You’re kidding, he hasn’t been cited?! He had one intention, to hurt JDG who had his arms pinned and couldn’t protect himself. Kelly was jumping into players on the ground, ignoring the ball and just wanting to hurt the player, all night too.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm

slangman wrote:

Moore lead out many times and wasn’t used by the incoming kick but this will be the change that we need. Our players mindset has been stuck on bombing the ball to the top of the goal square. Moore up forward working hard and presenting with force them to lower their eyes....which they have not been programmed to do with lazier forwards like Cox.

Exactly - what I have been saying for a while - create space - encourage leads - lower eyes - select targets. May take a while to re-educate but must persevere with changing our delivery tactics.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:13 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I was devastated by the injuries to Howe and JDG, which probably cost us the game. Nevertheless, I thought the whole team played well for most of the game.

I hope we stick with Moore at full forward. It will take a while for he and the team to adjust to a new set up, but he is so much more agile and effective than the slow moving Cox. Time to bring in Kelly next week to play in defence. I'd also play Murphy there and move Quaynor into the midfield, where we are lacking a strong, fast one-grab player.

I remain a critic of Callum Brown, who buzzes around a lot but is rarely effective. I'm also a little disappointed in the output from Daicos. He needs to get his hands on the pill more. Sier did not do much, but we have to persevere with him.

We have a couple of beauties in McCreery and Macrae.

The season is shot, so lets use it to blood a bunch of youngsters, so they can hit the ground running next year.
spot on pillar to post

Especially Moire, he’s literally a born FF

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:17 pm

David wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
David wrote:
Thomas and Brown both stood up and did well tonight... Putting Moore up forward was a shockingly bad decision

Que?

I thought both were really good in patches; Thomas in particular was a real presence in the contests. Both get a tick from me.

If you think Moore up forward was a good idea, not sure what to tell you. Not against experimenting when the situation calls for it, but it was the wrong game to try it and the mistake was compounded by Buckley’s refusal to change things up when we lost Howe and our defence were getting towelled up.

Disagree completely, no point winning defence if you have no goal kickers, hesgouldgave mover other players to defence, quite frankly in my mind Moore isn’t our best defence p,Ayer, he is our best and probably only genuine KPP, forward or back, we have other ‘good’ defensive players, but we need Moore forward. That’s where his dollars should be earned, now he has learnt to defend himself.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:17 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Why doesn't the same argument apply for Murphy? Why play the Irish rookie instead of the high draft pick? Or both?

I was simply responding to the posters speculating about who gets dropped for Moore to go back to defence. It seems a non-question when the Coach stated publicly last night that Moore will play forward again.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:40 pm

How about Cameron being transformed into a KPD in the same way that Liam Jones has done.
He has the attributes to at least be more than serviceable.
At 200cm and athletic for his size, he would be quite a good defender imho.
Worth a go.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:43 pm

He's slower than a coach. It'd be like changing your rucks at FB.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed- If only we had held onto Keeffe and let Thomas adrift...

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:57 pm

Moore's problem is that he struggles to find the ball when he's in the forward line, and can go long times without a touch. He is also outbodied by big body defenders, not as badly as Cox, but still. When back he can intercept, and run off, as forwards generally aren't defensively minded against their opponents, that changes when he's forward as he's always got someone hanging off him. Can we afford him being marooned at FF game after game as our potatoes fire in all manner of disposals aimed in his general direction? dunno. Maybe get Cox in there as well and play Moore, Cox and Checkers, and spread them out... that would be akin to the Eagles three tall setup, in height, anyway.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:38 pm

Here’s a couple really left field ideas -

Why not play Kelly as key defender where he had an excellent U18 championship, including two great break even battles with Allen and Lukosuis.
You could also trial Miochek as a key defender where he made his name as one of the very best key defenders in the VFL
Then you could leave Moore in the forward line for a few more weeks before some of us on here stamp his papers after only one week in the position.
There wouldn’t be many who could say they were completely comfortable in their new job after three hours of doing it.
Moore was also played as a forward in U18s and in his first couple years at the club, so it’s not like the idea of leaving him there for a few weeks should come as a huge surprise.
Keane needs to be played for a few more weeks before any judgement in 2021 is passed on him. He made a few mistakes last night but some where purely nerves, as opposed to not good enough. I’m not even sure what his position is but he needs to play with the belief his position is safe and not that he’s only one bad kick away from being dropped again.
Ruscoe was also a defender as a junior, so it’s not like we are short of players who grew up learning the position.

The same people keep trotting out the old “ definition of insanity “ saying every time they want to be heard. And yet, the moment the coaching panel try something new, it’s an outright failure after a three hour trial 😂
The time to experiment is when you aren’t going to play in September and you can say what you like about Buckley but that’s not a luxury he has had in the last three years. This is the perfect time to be trying something new and it should be encouraged, not discouraged.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:03 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Here’s a couple really left field ideas -

Why not play Kelly as key defender where he had an excellent U18 championship, including two great break even battles with Allen and Lukosuis..

Kelly is playing at CHB in the VFL today.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:33 pm

slangman wrote:
So three weeks ago we had a relatively healthy list....

Cue

GO

Elliott long term
Adams long term
Howe long term
JDG??

Why does this happen most years?

Because like the Dallas Cowboys there's a black cat running around this franchise. Or Buckley is a Jonah. Has he ever won a flag at any level of footy?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:35 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed- If only we had held onto Keeffe and let Thomas adrift...

Why? I thought we should’ve held onto both: our good first qtr last night was due in part to Thomas (amongst others) I thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: