Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Giants. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

“We are not in a hole”. Nope he may be correct

But it’s in full veiw

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:54 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
And fwd line pressure leads to goals, so...

So does clean entries inside 50 and forwards who can mark the ball.

So why not fix these issues first rather than recruit people who can tackle.

I reckon we need both. We need clean entries inside 50 and forwards who can lead and take marks. We also need strong inside 50 tackling pressure to deal with those occasions when the ball is not marked and hits the ground. At the moment, we have virtually neither.
That was why I thought Beau McCreery's debut was really important. It was like he reminded our forwards that tackling is necessary when they havent got the ball. It was so obvious that he provided an element which has been missing for a while.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 pm

The one move I can't reconcile is why the coaching panel thought it was a good idea to start IQ on Greene, rather than Maynard who's had a history of being able to cover him adequately.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:17 pm

The disappointing thing is the only constant tackling forward Billy went down

With he and Mc Creery down in the forward 50 would be a very positive step

Do we have anyone not injured that can tackle (& make them stick) in the 22 or in the waiting players

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:59 pm

Looking at the draw for next week if we lose (pretty likely), we should be 15th or 16th on the ladder but even as low as 17th if the all 3 of the Bears (vs Ess), Gws (vs Syd) and Dawks (vs Melb) get up (very unlikely).
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 pm

^
Thanks BWCW. I just read the article. I love how he refers to GWS' gameplan, and then tactfully said: "while Collignwood's was less evident, it was clearly always going to be conservative". A very polite way of saying that there was no plan, except to keep playing the same way!

JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:53 pm

In a game where they were expected to win comfortably and smash GWS, Collingwood barely gave a whimper in a sobering defeat where they were vanquished by 30 points (5 goals) against the Giants. The Magpies played their most disjointed game of the season to date with their inability to win contests, while the forwards were hardly moving out of first gear to provide a marking target, and failed to crumb packs at the drop of the ball. Defensively, there was no dare, and there was no intent to close down the amount of uncontested marks that Collingwood conceded throughout the entire night. As for the midfield, there was absolutely no inspiration, direction, nor leadership to stem the bleeding and the amount of ease that Collingwood’s opponents were afforded when they gathered the ball was inexplicably poor. There’s not a great deal of explaining left to do about this unforgivable loss that has left the club bereft of answers and options.

The only categories of note the Magpies were able to win were Inside 50s by +4 ( 52 - 48 ), Tackles Inside 50 were won by +16 ( 24 - 8 ), Contested Marks had a margin of +1 (12 - 11), and +26 for hit-outs ( 44 - 18 ). GWS dominated most of the key indicators such as disposals by +54 (407 - 353), kicks were won by +25 (237 - 212), +29 for handballs (170 - 141), while contested possessions had a gap of +15 (150 - 135), followed by ascendancy in uncontested possessions by +39 (241 - 202), and intercept possessions were +3 (84 - 81). Clearances had a margin of +4 (36 - 32), centre clearances were won by +4 (15 - 11), tackles had an advantage of +2 (63 - 61), +25 for uncontested marks (96 - 71), with Marks Inside 50 won by +3 (9 - 6). Stoppage clearances (21 each) was the only category in dispute.

Steele Sidebottom (30 disposals @ 47%, 502 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 20 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 21 kicks, 9 handballs, 8 marks, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50s) won a lot of the ball and provided as a marking option, but his decision-making and ball use was ineffective and detrimental to the team’s performance.

Jack Madgen (25 disposals @ 56%, 556 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s, 4 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) had a different role where he was moved onto the wing to become an unlikely ball winner. Madgen also produced the only major highlight of the night by kicking his first AFL goal with a drop punt from the boundary.

Brodie Grundy (20 disposals @ 50%, 137 metres gained, 14 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 42 hit-outs, 9 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 5 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50s) did not come to play in the first half, before responding in the second half with hit-outs and disposals, which ultimately proved fruitless.

Scott Pendlebury (20 disposals @ 60%, 199 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks, 7 tackles, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances & 3 Inside 50s) was not able to generate scoring chains at all, and none of his disposals were influential.

Chris Mayne (20 disposals @ 80%, 208 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 7 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 9 handballs, 9 marks, 4 tackles & 2 score involvements) worked hard defensively from the wing to take his marks and his ball use was steady.

Jack Crisp (30 disposals @ 40%, 644 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 8 intercept possessions, 19 kicks, 11 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances, 8 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) had his worst disposal efficiency game ever, despite racking up 30 disposals in the midfield and across half-back where he just simply torched the ball as soon as he gathered possession. Fortunately for Crisp, he had mates that wasted the ball.

Jeremy Howe (20 disposals @ 75%, 459 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 marks & 3 Rebound 50s) played solidly on a night where everything went pear-shaped.

Brayden Maynard (18 disposals @ 72%, 542 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 2 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) did not fire a shot early, before rebounding strongly in the last two quarters to hang his hat on something.

Darcy Moore (14 disposals @ 100%, 228 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 11 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 3 Contested Marks & 4 Rebound 50s) stood tall again with his intercept marking and ball use was fairly good.

Josh Daicos (19 disposals @ 74%, 402 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 2 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 2 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) had a difficult night up forward where he still conjured a goal, while being given stints in the midfield.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (14 disposals @ 86%, 258 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 4 handballs, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 4 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 goals) had a solid second half of footy, after being non-existent in the first half.

Josh Thomas (10 disposals @ 60%, 181 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 5 handballs, 6 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 6 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) had a very similar start to Hoskin-Elliott-Elliott where he went missing early, before getting involved late in the game.

Jordan De Goey (9 disposals @ 44%, 131 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 2 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 2 goals) made the most of his limited opportunities, but did nothing else that was satisfactory.

Brody Mihocek (7 disposals @ 43%, 207 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was starved of opportunities, but found a way to mark a couple of entries, and chimed in on the scoreboard.

Beau McCreery (7 disposals @ 57%, 3 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 5 kicks, 2 handballs, 2 marks, 8 tackles, 7 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) kicked his first AFL goal on debut, which was also Collingwood’s first goal of the night, and he was able to fulfil his role by providing tackling and plenty of pressure.

Collingwood’s next game will be against West Coast at Optus Stadium on April 16. Play four quarters of footy against quality opposition, and victory will not be out of the question.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:23 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
I reckon we need both. We need clean entries inside 50 and forwards who can lead and take marks. We also need strong inside 50 tackling pressure to deal with those occasions when the ball is not marked and hits the ground. At the moment, we have virtually neither.
That was why I thought Beau McCreery's debut was really important. It was like he reminded our forwards that tackling is necessary when they havent got the ball. It was so obvious that he provided an element which has been missing for a while.

Yeah.

We do need both these things.

I just miss being a side that had the opposition scared to make a mistake or pressured into making one in our F50. They were great days.

Pressure acts leads to scoring shots as does winning centre clearances and contested marks inside 50. Three things we're desperately lacking.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:29 am

What'sinaname wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Geelong did lose Kelly. And they traded Lachie Fogarty who is now looking like a good pickup for the Blues. If Geelong dont win it all this year, they've stuffed up.

And FWIW, Scott will join Buckley as 10 years without a flag, if he doesn't go all the way this year.

1. He has coached a premiership
2. In 10 years...missed finals once, and that was ending up 10th.
3. Of all coaches with more than 100 games coached, he has the BEST win percentage and is the only one with a 70%+ win percentage.

4. 6-13 in finals since 2011

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:34 am

Would be nice if some of the posters who were calling for Madgen's head would acknowledge he played well
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:10 am

I feel Jack Magden has learned on the job

There are many in the who could use his never give up approach

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:57 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Geelong did lose Kelly. And they traded Lachie Fogarty who is now looking like a good pickup for the Blues. If Geelong dont win it all this year, they've stuffed up.

And FWIW, Scott will join Buckley as 10 years without a flag, if he doesn't go all the way this year.

1. He has coached a premiership
2. In 10 years...missed finals once, and that was ending up 10th.
3. Of all coaches with more than 100 games coached, he has the BEST win percentage and is the only one with a 70%+ win percentage.

4. 6-13 in finals since 2011

even buckley could have coached that team to the premiership, he inherited the team and played a team that was monumentally head $%$ed

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:58 am

BazBoy wrote:
I feel Jack Magden has learned on the job

There are many in the who could use his never give up approach

so so so so so many, we have so many ball watchers right now, its not your job? its everyones job.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:04 am

Johnno75 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
I don’t buy the tackles don’t matter. Melbourne laid 80 today. We had 15 players that laid 2 or less.

Geelong laid 73 and lost by 4+ goals.

My point exactly winning team had more tackles but marginally had more disposals. It’s a fundamental thing I try and educate coaching at junior level, 85% of the time you don’t have the ball in your hands but you can influence the game a lot by what you do when you don’t have the ball. Not just tackling that is one aspect it’s chasing, smother, forcing your opponent on to his wrong side, perceived pressure.

A lot of what I saw Collingwood do last night was the exact opposite, it’s almost like they couldn’t cover the ground. I still think we got back into the game in the 3rd when we started to kick the ball in by tackling a bit in F50.

We don’t have the leg speed to cover other teams. Look at who played on Saturday night - Thomas, Mayne, Greenwood, Madgen, Sier, Callum Brown. Then you have players like Sidey and Pendles who have never been fast. How can you expect to beat teams who cover the ground quicker than you do in modern day footy. And that’s just one of our issues. We’ve lost all our forward movement since Elliot got injured. And we rely too much on Cox who runs hot and cold. The only one who tries all day is Mihocek. We have so many issues but the biggest one of all is that our brains trust at the football department had an overly optimistic view of how the team was going to perform this year with current personal and didn’t prepare for the eventuality (or pretended to ignore it).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:08 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
I don’t buy the tackles don’t matter. Melbourne laid 80 today. We had 15 players that laid 2 or less.

Geelong laid 73 and lost by 4+ goals.

My point exactly winning team had more tackles but marginally had more disposals. It’s a fundamental thing I try and educate coaching at junior level, 85% of the time you don’t have the ball in your hands but you can influence the game a lot by what you do when you don’t have the ball. Not just tackling that is one aspect it’s chasing, smother, forcing your opponent on to his wrong side, perceived pressure.

A lot of what I saw Collingwood do last night was the exact opposite, it’s almost like they couldn’t cover the ground. I still think we got back into the game in the 3rd when we started to kick the ball in by tackling a bit in F50.

We don’t have the leg speed to cover other teams. Look at who played on Saturday night - Thomas, Mayne, Greenwood, Madgen, Sier, Callum Brown. Then you have players like Sidey and Pendles who have never been fast. How can you expect to beat teams who cover the ground quicker than you do in modern day footy. And that’s just one of our issues. We’ve lost all our forward movement since Elliot got injured. And we rely too much on Cox who runs hot and cold. The only one who tries all day is Mihocek. We have so many issues but the biggest one of all is that our brains trust at the football department had an overly optimistic view of how the team was going to perform this year with current personal and didn’t prepare for the eventuality (or pretended to ignore it).

yes i dont understand why philips and stevo arnt playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20   

Jump to: