Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coaching Future

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm one of the few remaining Bucks supporters on Nicks, because imo getting us within a kick of the grannie in 2018, one kick from the grannie in 2019 and winning an 'unwinnable' final in the west last year, is proof enough to me that we have a good coach. What we lack are 3-4 good players, to replace WHE (who seems to lack the necessary hunger), Thomas, Madgen and Cam Brown. Hopefully this season will provide some senior experience to a few youngsters in Henry, McCeery, McCinnis, Kelly, Keans and perhaps Bianco and one or two others. But they should only play when they are deemed ready. I see this year as a very quick rebuild one, with us likely to threaten for the flag again next season. I have seen no sign that the players are not in sync with the coach, in fact the opposite is the case.

I know this narrative does not accord with those who want scapegoats and simple solutions to our lack of flag success, but I think it is a realistic analysis.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:54 pm

DP
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:16 pm

Or you can look at the way we lost in 2018 and 2019 and in some games in 2020 and even last week to see it was clear tactical errors by the coach that are still repeated time and time again.

Yet the Buckley apologists claim every time it's not the coaches responsibility or the coach has no say over who gets picked every year or who gets their contracts renewed or whether we even try and draft a tall forward.

In 9 seasons with Buckley as coach, Collingwood has regressed from their previous seasons ladder position on 8 occasions. So 2018 was a very clear aberration, helped by the review and addition of some quality assistants who have now left. Yet it's the only argument anyone has for how good Buckley supposedly is because we got so close...
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:22 pm

it might be easier Eddiesmith if you just list out the people at the club you do like.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:42 pm

Well it'd be a pretty long list, unlike the list of duds and overrated hacks which is much shorter:

Buckley- Would anyone else have been given 10 years with such a poor record?
Grundy- Only Adelaide would pay that sort of money because they're desperate and we've screwed our cap for 7 years for a bloke who can't even win us games against teams second and third string ruckmen or 2nd and 3rd game ruckmen!!!
Sidebottom- Overrated and seemingly immune from criticism for his very minimal output
C.Brown, D.Cameron- Just outright hacks
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I guess I'm one of the few remaining Bucks supporters.

I’m a Buck’s supporter too RB. Happy to take the flack and be flamed. I do not believe that any other coach would have achieved ultimate success given the injury list Buckley had. No way bloody known. Nicksters who believe otherwise are on a silly planet.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:15 pm

Yes both you (Lazza) and RBoy are the die hards - look past the man... look at the ten years. Anyway we all want the same thing in the end, its just the method.
Magpies035 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:30 pm

Its time for change.
Too many supporters think that doing a good job and has has tried his best with what he has been given is ok it is not.
As good and as close as 2018 was we lost. No one remembers who came second.
Then even 2019 as good as we were we really failed badly in the Prelim.

We need to stop thinking these years are a success they are not. Coming close is just not good enough.

Buckley was given a Grand Final team and A graders from 2012. We then slowly went backwards and did nothing over the next few years. And we got worse as the years went on.

Buckley defensive gamestyle and play is a massive fail and he continues this way in 2021 and i don't see any change in our style of play apart from maybe what the new rules allow teams to do.

We were supposed to have a dominant midfield which actually failed to deliver with a dominant ruck.

i believe the gameplan by Buckley has does not work and has been overtaken by the new coaches in the system and by other clubs who have found out our weakness and exploit them.

Pure defence just is not good enough.
We generally struggle to beat teams by large margins or put score board pressure on teams.
Too many passengers in Collingwood side. Too many mistakes and therefore too much pressure is on our top players to carry the load and try and get a win.

i dont want to go into 2022 with another year under Nathan Buckley.

its simply time
Enough is enough

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Yes both you (Lazza) and RBoy are the die hards - look past the man... look at the ten years. Anyway we all want the same thing in the end, its just the method.

Yep agree Wolf. However I have conceded that if we don’t make the finals, then I will sadly support the appointment of a new coach. As a matter of interest I would love to hear the names of prospective coaches to be considered in addition to Ross Lyon or (shudder 🥵🥺) Choco Williams.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:48 pm

Lazza wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Yep agree Wolf. However I have conceded that if we don’t make the finals, then I will sadly support the appointment of a new coach. As a matter of interest I would love to hear the names of prospective coaches to be considered in addition to Ross Lyon or (shudder 🥵🥺) Choco Williams.

Okay let's assume that happens just for the sake of argument...

Depends what 'whomever' is put in charge of appointing our next coach and the criterias. Now I expect that we'll almost certainly have to appoint a experienceded coach.. but of course I don't make the calls they could go in a completely different direction.

Now whether we like it or not the only two 'available' experienced coaches even worth considering are Lyon and B.Scott, others not worth considering inc Choco, Ayres, etc, etc - now again they may just say nope the best candidate is someone we have no idea about.. like say a Dean Solomon? Who knows (that's just a random name btw, take nothing of it)!!!

Just as long as they get it right, most likely thinking 'logically' until otherwise presented with a realistic alternative either of the 1st two names I mentioned will most likely end up with the job - it's just the way it is.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 pm

Error

Last edited by Lazza on Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 pm

^^^^

That is my fear Wolf.’ I just don’t think that Lyon and Choco will bring anything that justifies sacking Buckley. However if Buck’s resigns, then maybe the other younger prospective coaches may fit the bill.
I just hope that the injuries give us a break and allows Buck’s to have close to our best team take the field each week. Then if somehow we make the top 4, I will be dead against getting rid of Buckley. Of course the exact opposite is true if we don’t make the finals. If we finish 5-8, not sure how it will end up but my suspicion is that it will be goodbye Bucks. Time will tell.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:51 pm

Lazza wrote:
^^^^

That is my fear Wolf.’ I just don’t think that Lyon and Choco will bring anything that justifies sacking Buckley. However if Buck’s resigns, then maybe the other younger prospective coaches may fit the bill.
I just hope that the injuries give us a break and allows Buck’s to have close to our best team take the field each week. Then if somehow we make the top 4, I will be dead against getting rid of Buckley. Of course the exact opposite is true if we don’t make the finals. If we finish 5-8, not sure how it will end up but my suspicion is that it will be goodbye Bucks. Time will tell.

Buckley sacking is justified just by the fact he's been there with zero flags for tens years. It's beyond his 'perceived' skill or lack of it now. The club needs a breath of fresh air.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:08 am

For some reason, Michael Voss keeps hanging around at the back of my mind (okay, perhaps that's where he should stay Smile). Yet, he's an experienced coach and would've hopefully learnt quite a few telling lessons with his time in charge of the Lions. Seems to be doing a pretty good job as an assistant with Port in the last few years.
Please don't be too harsh with your rebukes Smile.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:16 am

Even Hird has a better coaching record than Voss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: