Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lose with new players, not the old failures.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m so very over Buckley’s press conferences. Case in point the ruck stats being irrelevant and it’s easy for teams to setup well if you’re going to lose them. Really? What a bs piece of misdirection, we have an advantage and we didn’t take it because they knew it was going to be an advantage? Just FO.
This season is going to be frustrating as hell. The lack of leadership will tell, Buckley won’t blood kids, he can’t, he has to win games to keep his job of which he has been nothing but a failure. If we had some leadership the direction would be prepare for a future with Daicos at the centre of it, get games into the kids and if he doesn’t, he should be removed, but it won’t happen because Eddie couldn’t make the hard call and the complete lack of leadership now won’t either...

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:50 am

You will see more of the kids when the VFL starts.
That’s what makes sense, not irrational slash and burn at the selection table.

This is how player selection would look to them right now.
Mature bodies like J T, W H E, Sier, Madgen Mayne etc rock up at training every night with several preseasons under their belt versus underweight, unfit kids ( as in can’t run out an AFL game ) who haven’t played a competitive game for a year and a half.
Kids don’t transfer into 100 game 90 kilo endurance athletes overnight.
You don’t have to play AFL to think through the logic of going with the devil you know UNTIL you at least get some amount of competitive footy into the kids and see a sample size of who is ready.
We’ve won one game of three and some want to give up the season already.
Try telling that to the senior players like Pendles, Grundy Howe etc
Or do I need to find the posts where the usual whingers on here wanted Henry and Ruscoe dropped after one game.

I keep saying it, if the youngsters are any good, they will get their chance soon enough but that’s not necessarily just because you have a ( after the siren ) loss.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:39 am

The trouble is that we have 2 players in WHE and Thomas who have nearly zero impact nearly every game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:39 am

We all know that WHE and Thomas are past their "best before" date.

So the OP is really just a hate on Callum Brown.

Brown is a bit player on the fringes of the team. Personally, I think he needs to play in the centre, rather than as a defensive forward - but let's just accept for the moment that he's one of the last players picked.

In my view, the real problems lie not at the margins but are rather sprinkled across the team. WHE, Thomas, Madgen, Sier, Noble, Cox and Mihocek are all playing below reasonable AFL-standard for the positions they occupy. When you add De Goey, Maynard, Sidebottom (despite his 28 disposals), Adams (after 1/4 time), Moore and Mayne all playing below that which we would expect from them, it leaves too much slack to be taken up by a handful of consistent performers.

That's 13 out of 22 players who, in my view, either aren't good enough to play AFL in the position they occupy or are performing below the necessary level or their expected level, as the case may be.

I appreciate that some (perhaps many) of you will disagree with my view about individual players - but if you write out your own list, you'll all likely reach more or less the same "big picture" view.

In those circumstances, plainly there will (or certainly should) be opportunities for young people to come in and take places. We do have to make sure we don't set them back by bringing them up in large numbers into an under-performing side.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:12 pm

masoncox wrote:
The trouble is that we have 2 players in WHE and Thomas who have nearly zero impact nearly every game.

Thomas was good last night.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
You will see more of the kids when the VFL starts.
That’s what makes sense, not irrational slash and burn at the selection table.

This is how player selection would look to them right now.
Mature bodies like J T, W H E, Sier, Madgen Mayne etc rock up at training every night with several preseasons under their belt versus underweight, unfit kids ( as in can’t run out an AFL game ) who haven’t played a competitive game for a year and a half.
Kids don’t transfer into 100 game 90 kilo endurance athletes overnight.
You don’t have to play AFL to think through the logic of going with the devil you know UNTIL you at least get some amount of competitive footy into the kids and see a sample size of who is ready.

I keep saying it, if the youngsters are any good, they will get their chance soon enough but that’s not necessarily just because you have a ( after the siren ) loss.

This is actually good post match rant/tantrum rational...

I've no idea WHY the VFL is commencing so many weeks behind, but it is certainly doing us no favors...

Henry needed to play in the VFL and earn his debut, not have it gifted to him like it was, due to the fact that club numpties can't account for a salary cap, and have to trade our talent out for bags of beans, then have nothing remain in the kitty to the point where we couldn't even consider a B-grade forward on the market like Wright...

Ruscoe also selected way before he was ready last season; he was serviceable, but in hindsight, the selection unwarranted.

But I digress... we NEED to return to players earning their call-ups after consecutive weeks of high output at VFL level. What we all witnessed in 2020 just set every club backwards development wise, with no VFL comp to assess each player on their merits.

As far as I'm concerned, Greenwood, for all his limitations, is also starting 22 in the seniors, and it should take a better process, than Buckley's current guess-lotto selection policy, to displace him from the team...

Things have gotten to the point where players drafted have been given single digit jumper numbers, without even having played a VFL game, let alone a senior berth. Such jumpers were usually reserved for players who had earned their stripes a season or two prior with solid performances.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:11 pm

The problem is that our expectations have been so reduced - you refer to Ruscoe as "serviceable", yet he had 5 disposals in 6 quarters in the 2 previous games. He may become a good player - but, at the moment, I'm doubtful he can compete in the VFL. I remember being at Docklands one day when Julian Rowe had 14 disposals or thereabouts in the first quarter on a wing, albeit that he used the ball poorly. MM's response (which was the correct one) was to drag him and never to play him again - and I believe he was delisted at the end of the same season.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
You don't lose games in that manner tonight without a serious lack of onfield leadership. I don't know what Pendles and Adams etc are doing or saying out there when the game is slipping away but whatever it is just doesn't inspire retaliation.

Well said MM.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:53 pm

<See here: https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=88464&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180 - Pies4shaw for BBMods>
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:33 pm

Yeh, time to play the kids,not all at once, but time to feed them into the team now. Its time. Look at the Swans has been great for them, kids bring enthusiam, liven up the team and freshen it up. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:37 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Yeh, time to play the kids,not all at once, but time to feed them into the team now. Its time. Look at the Swans has been great for them, kids bring enthusiam, liven up the team and freshen it up. !

If you're seriously say play the kids (not that I think we'll have a choice by seasons end due to our lack of depth and the nature of the game in injuries, suspension etc etc), than you'd also have to agree that we won't be anywhere near it anytime soon - ipso facto - why is Nathan still in charge of the team? he certainly won't be here by the time the team is ready to win its next flag??!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:14 am

Better to lose with young player mistakes than old player dinosaur flaws
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:51 pm

Pie-supporting journo Jake Niall:

Time for Buckley’s Magpies to play the kids

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/time-for-nathan-buckley-s-collingwood-magpies-to-play-the-kids-20210406-p57gzm.html

"It is clear from a perusal of Collingwood’s playing stocks and of the largely injury-free teams they’ve fielded (a rarity in Buckley’s time) this season that they are well short of premiership class; at their best, the Pies might snatch a lower berth in the top eight, but, in the short term, they’ve been weakened by the trading fire sale in which Adam Treloar, Jaidyn Stephenson and Tom Phillips were brutally offloaded.

Forced into the fire sale by long-term salary cap mismanagement (and the deferral of payments when they were trying to win a flag), last December brought a badly needed youth infusion via the draft...

The best-case scenario for the Pies would be to emulate what Port Adelaide have achieved since their super draft of 2018: bring in a raft of talented kids to support a strong seasoned core, thereby lifting a mid-table team back into a potential premiership window."
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:41 pm

Wow. Only Tyler Brown out. This is going to be such a long season. Cant wait for Buckle’s exit!
jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 pm

Fa$%k me.

Same old hasbeens stay in the team but they drop T. Brown, who isn't starring but doing more than the perennial survivors.

Cannot fathom the logic here, and as for those who say there is no VFL, what league have the kids from other clubs like Sydney been playing in? That is just a cop out.

I'd rather lose with youth in the team having a go, than with the same olds doing nothing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: