Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Extinction Rebellion at it again.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they were over 80 years of age, they aren't going to get sick and die from Covid anyway so bad luck WPT.

Meanwhile those who choose to have the vaccine have more chance of getting sick than those who don't.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:55 pm

@P4S Please try to read. I asked you what you propose. I know what I would do, what about you? Without quoting articles please.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It's good to have a goal - and, frankly, theirs is nowhere near as silly as the parrot-droppings used to justify the continuing use of fossil fuels.

I think you are confused.
Parrot droppings are used to create phosphate which is used to make fertiliser.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:20 pm

Pi wrote:
So what are these people actually achieving? Nothing that benefits their apparent cause. Volunteering to sort garbage at a recycling centre would be more useful; but we can be fairly sure they don’t do that.
These direct action theatrical protests and their disruptions are more likely to be about the ego of the activist and what makes them feel good about themselves. Shouting slogans and smearing toxic paint on walls may well bring them satisfaction but are of zero value, more likely to discredit any environmental cause. The media being sympathetic to them rather than pointing out the obvious doesn’t help either.

How about this guy; a smart person working hard and actually coming up with a solution to a global pollution problem is worth more than a thousand morons blocking traffic.
https://time.com/5389782/boyan-slat-plastic-ocean-cleanup/

And no not one radical fu#@ck wit blocking traffic inspired him to do it.

The ability to solve problems and studying engineering did that.

I don’t think that anyone who says this stuff actually believes this – because they know full well the difference between individual efforts and collective political action. Environmentalists could all get jobs sorting garbage and practise sustainable living at home (as I’m sure many of them already do), and it wouldn’t make a jot of difference to anything that has the capacity to make a significant difference in the bigger picture, e.g. governments’ emission targets.

Whenever I hear protesters being told to get off the streets and start turning off their air conditioners at home, I half suspect that that’s the precise goal: those taking potshots at protesters don’t want anything to change structurally, either because they are invested in things staying the way they are, don’t care or because being against "the left" and fighting the culture war is a bigger priority to them than, say, the future of the planet. In that case, talking about the selfishness of protesters is a real pot-calling-the-kettle-black moment.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:25 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Unless they were over 80 years of age, they aren't going to get sick and die from Covid anyway so bad luck WPT.

Meanwhile those who choose to have the vaccine have more chance of getting sick than those who don't.

Thank you Dr Eddiesmith Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:39 pm

Lucky he's a doctor and not a research scientist - he doesn't have to worry about the data: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid#case-fatality-rate-of-covid-19-by-age
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:05 pm

Less than 0.1% chance of dying under 60 if you get Covid, 1% for 60-69 and about 8% for 70-79.

So what was wrong with the claim the young won't die? They don't.

Yet nearly 1% of people receiving the vaccine suffered serious side effects, 80% had mild side effects.

This for a disease that effects 0.1% of the entire population and 99.9% survival rate for most people.

Yet with this vaccine they have no idea how effective it will be, if it even stops transmission nor how long it will even last.

So get a vaccine with an 80% chance of making you sick to protect from a virus that you've got 0.1% chance of catching and if you do catch it, 0.1% chance of it being fatal.

But I can understand those of you in the older age brackets being more concerned.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:16 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Lucky he's a doctor and not a research scientist - he doesn't have to worry about the data: https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid#case-fatality-rate-of-covid-19-by-age

Professor Eddiesmith: perhaps he is the COVID-advisor to Peter Evans 😉😂

Anyway back on planet earth I’m getting my second Pfizer shot tomorrow: means I can pick up some coffee beans from the Roasting Warehouse in North Melbourne: Their Evolve blend is a favourite in our family. You

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:44 pm

David wrote:

I don’t think that anyone who says this stuff actually believes this – because they know full well the difference between individual efforts and collective political action. Environmentalists could all get jobs sorting garbage and practise sustainable living at home (as I’m sure many of them already do), and it wouldn’t make a jot of difference to anything that has the capacity to make a significant difference in the bigger picture, e.g. governments’ emission targets.

Whenever I hear protesters being told to get off the streets and start turning off their air conditioners at home, I half suspect that that’s the precise goal: those taking potshots at protesters don’t want anything to change structurally, either because they are invested in things staying the way they are, don’t care or because being against "the left" and fighting the culture war is a bigger priority to them than, say, the future of the planet. In that case, talking about the selfishness of protesters is a real pot-calling-the-kettle-black moment.

The difference between one person’s positive effort’s being successful and a political collective of egotistical morons not accomplishing anything by doing the usual useless sh!T could not be more stark in contrast. One worked, one did not!

Are protesters always pure in their motives? Or do they get a pass mark as long as they fit ones political preferences…

Protester A: Block all the roads so we empower our egos as compensation for being fundamentally inadequate because we are saving the children and the world.

Protester B: Block access to abortion clinics because we believe in our ethical superiority and are saving the children and the world.

….and yes I can conflate the two… Both sets of protesters are using negative disruption to enforce their views (and egos). Both are counterproductive and neither are saving the planet or humanity.

They have convinced no one and changed nothing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: