Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Extinction Rebellion at it again.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly have a lot of extraordinary and anti-democratic values.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
What are these people who believe we have a climate crisis hoping to achieve with their protest?

Do they genuinely think they will change anyone's mind or garner support for their cause?

I'd stop short of sending the tanks in, I'd just tell the Polic not to stop traffic. If they want to lay on the road, let them do it while cars are driving through and see how long they stay.

Why does anyone protest? The goal is obviously to bring attention to the cause, and the method is public action and disruption. If you have a better idea, let's hear it!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:17 pm

Anyone who hasn't heard of their cause by now has been living in a cave, so they're achieving precisely nothing except pissing people off and chewing up Police resources while they engage in this mutual masturbatory exercise.

Protest marches are so 1960's.

Maybe some original thinking about how to leverage modern tech like social media to put pressure on the key targets instead of stupid stunts?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:59 pm

There's a big difference between hearing of a cause and having it sufficiently front of mind at any one point in time to want to do anything about it.

Now, I agree that it's possible a given protest might be more alienating than capable of generating community sympathy (and let's not forget that some protests can be very effective, to the extent of bringing entire governments down, as we've seen overseas – and effective protests of course long predate the 1960s and will occur long after we're dead). But that's hard to measure at the best of times, and I guess the important question is whether the powers that be interpret protests as any kind of reflection of community sentiment. If they do, then pressure is being exerted, and if that pressure translates to policy change then the battle has been won.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:16 pm

There's a large Melbourne CBD protest going on now with police vehicles everywhere. Queen Street is blocked off at Collins Street.I don't know whether it's the dress up Extinction Rebellion people though. More likely public servants that don't want to come back to the office.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Reported on the radio, it's the extinction dweebs blocking intersections Rolling Eyes
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:30 pm

So what are these people actually achieving? Nothing that benefits their apparent cause. Volunteering to sort garbage at a recycling centre would be more useful; but we can be fairly sure they don’t do that.
These direct action theatrical protests and their disruptions are more likely to be about the ego of the activist and what makes them feel good about themselves. Shouting slogans and smearing toxic paint on walls may well bring them satisfaction but are of zero value, more likely to discredit any environmental cause. The media being sympathetic to them rather than pointing out the obvious doesn’t help either.

How about this guy; a smart person working hard and actually coming up with a solution to a global pollution problem is worth more than a thousand morons blocking traffic.
https://time.com/5389782/boyan-slat-plastic-ocean-cleanup/

And no not one radical fu#@ck wit blocking traffic inspired him to do it.

The ability to solve problems and studying engineering did that.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:42 pm

^

100% spot on.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:45 pm

Pi wrote:
So what are these people actually achieving? Nothing that benefits their apparent cause. Volunteering to sort garbage at a recycling centre would be more useful; but we can be fairly sure they don’t do that.
These direct action theatrical protests and their disruptions are more likely to be about the ego of the activist and what makes them feel good about themselves. Shouting slogans and smearing toxic paint on walls may well bring them satisfaction but are of zero value, more likely to discredit any environmental cause. The media being sympathetic to them rather than pointing out the obvious doesn’t help either.

How about this guy; a smart person working hard and actually coming up with a solution to a global pollution problem is worth more than a thousand morons blocking traffic.
https://time.com/5389782/boyan-slat-plastic-ocean-cleanup/

And no not one radical fu#@ck wit blocking traffic inspired him to do it.

The ability to solve problems and studying engineering did that.

How do you know the paint used is toxic? What is your evidence? Or is that a smear against the smearer’s ?

When I heard a spokesperson interviewed a while ago now I heard they specifically use non toxic paints and materials. Indeed a lot of their international and local actions are very good

This might inspire you to do some good too:

https://rebellionderby.earth/paint-the-streets

I don’t see it as an either / or rather we can admire the achievements of the young man you referred to and rather than compete they can and in my view do compliment each other.

Here’s how you can join Extinction Rebellion

https://ausrebellion.earth/get-involved/

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:55 pm

^
Mule manure

I currently design and build systems for the production of solar inverters; amongst other assorted projects; a lot of it now renewable energy.

Sustainable local manufacturing actually makes sense.

Fairly sure I make more of a practical contribution than most; stopping me from working helps no one.

And all paint is toxic to some degree; that's why you cant wash it down the sink. If you don't agree , take the PI challenge; drink a pint of water based wall paint and let me know how you feel in the morning.

Last edited by Pi on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:08 pm

But in the fantasy world of the protesters, government and big business should be able to snap their fingers and generate electricity from nothing and shut down all mining with no adverse consequences and we all live happily ever after.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:11 pm

It's good to have a goal - and, frankly, theirs is nowhere near as silly as the parrot-droppings used to justify the continuing use of fossil fuels.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:15 pm

You have NFI. Really.

The sun doesn't shine at night and the wind doesn't always blow. So what do you propose is used to provide reliable baseload back up energy to compliment increasing renewables?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Pi wrote:
^
Mule manure

I currently design and build systems for the production of solar inverters; amongst other assorted projects; a lot of it now renewable energy.

Sustainable local manufacturing actually makes sense.

Fairly sure I make more of a practical contribution than most; stopping me from working helps no one.

And all paint is toxic to some degree; that's why you cant wash it down the sink. If you don't agree , take the PI challenge; drink a pint of water based wall paint and let me know how you feel in the morning.

So what you do is compatible with extinction rebellion not opposed to it. Once or twice a year being inconvenienced is no big deal, a pain but not a biggie in the scheme of things.

You’re lucky it was extinction rebellion I had to content with Eddiesmith and his band of anti vaxxers the other Sunday ( a few weeks ago) holding up traffic on St Kilda Road when I foolishly chose to drive to work (what do we want? no compulsory injections - fine you don’t have to have one) but why protest about it & why are you (not you Pi) related to the extreme nutters of the US)? Then again they should be allowed to be sick and die away from every body else)

The movement seems to include a range of people from young to old.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:27 pm

Stui, is that based on your considered view that there is no other device in the known universe that can generate electricity and it can't be stored in any way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: