Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Adam Treloar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they are using him in his correct position as an outside mid. Makes a big difference but Bucks bangs on about role players but sometimes you just need to play them where they will thrive.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:12 am

He's a classic "weather-vane" - if the team's going well, he'll get a bit of the ball. If it isn't, he won't (well, that's not quite accurate - he'll still get a bit of the ball but cough it up randomly with his famous pointless-backwards-handball - the only thing that he ever did that separated him from your run of the mill mids). He's a very average footballer that Buckley, in his mind, imbued with magical qualities before he recruited him. He's OK as the 5th midfielder from the left - the one who comes in and gives your real footballers a spell on the bench - the real question is how Collingwood ever thought he was worth throwing draft picks away on and paying huge money for on a 6-year contract. He's not quite as hard at it or skilled in close as, say, Jarryd Blair, but he's not as useless as some. Macrae, Dunkley, Liberatore and Bontempelli play the actual football and then Treloar comes on against the opposition's second-string mids and is kind of adequate.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:19 am

In other words, you haven’t seen him playing this season?
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:36 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

Never a fan of Treloar.
Happy to get rid of him but the way he was outed was very poor.
Has played better this year.
We will see if he continues his better form.
He is no A grader.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:41 am

masoncox wrote:

Never a fan of Treloar.
He is no A grader.

Grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence though. Doggie supporter friend thinks he’s a dud.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:53 am

Your doggie supporter friend is entirely correct.

It makes me sick - this guy went under the radar at Collingwood, despite being under-skilled, soft and disappearing, repeatedly, when the going got tough against competent opposition.

He was one of those startling players (de Goey is another) who always seemed to be half as fast chasing as he was with ball in hand - since he was always doing both running towards the opposition goal, it never ceased to amaze me.

Finally, even Buckley - who is so loyal to the same 25 players that it beggars belief - worked out the guy was a waste of space - and yet, somehow, the moment he leaves, people want to pretend he's the Messiah.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:09 pm

Never thought he was the messiah, and if they had just said it’s because his missus is taking the baby, I’d have been happier, he should never have got that contract, but he did and the way he was handled by the club, the lies told, the reaction of the other players said it all, that’s what I really don’t like. As I’ve said I though bux was better than that
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:24 pm

It was badly-handled - but he wasn't bundled out of the Club because Buckley is a bad person. He was bundled out of the Club because he is a dud. It is important to try to separate the two. It was poorly-handled but it was the only viable decision (unless we could, eg, have persuaded him to take up painting, full-time).
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:35 pm

Personally, the buck stops with the board, administrators and managers.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Yes - they should have watched some GWS games when Treloar was running around like a chook for them and told Buckley they wouldn't recruit Treloar, no matter how much the Coach wanted him.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It was badly-handled - but he wasn't bundled out of the Club because Buckley is a bad person. He was bundled out of the Club because he is a dud. It is important to try to separate the two. It was poorly-handled but it was the only viable decision (unless we could, eg, have persuaded him to take up painting, full-time).

Well played, first laugh I've had since 730 last nite
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:49 pm

masoncox wrote:

Never a fan of Treloar.
He is no A grader.

I didn’t believe he was anywhere near the player that the club thought that he was and he certainly wasn’t worth the price we paid to get him. He had his limitations, he was played more inside when I thought he was better suited outside (not that my opinion actually matters because it doesn’t) and he butchered the ball a lot. What he did have though was speed, at least when he thought a goal was a chance, and he kicked goals. We have very few players that can break lines and kick goals. It’s almost as if for a few years our recruiting has deemed that quality as a liability. He lost his speed when the hamstring injuries occurred but it seems he has it back.

He’s not now and has never been an A grader in the minds of most supporters Consider this - if he was on our list yesterday, would you have selected him in the team? Of course you would. Callum Brown was playing. As was Greenwood. Both of them are slow and gave very little skill.

What really annoyed me was the contract that we tied ourselves to. Why did the club come to those terms then try to offload him for two years then achieve that on the second? Apparently the club rated him as an A grader at the time but shortly after that no longer did. Or, they bought a calculator and added up their total player commitments. That led to the bulls shit club generated media campaign to force him out. That was both pathetic and disgusting. How could any of the players think highly of Buckley after his performance in relation to Treloar’s exit?

I had the impression though that Treloar cared and gave his best. I don’t blame him for accepting the terms of the contract we foolishly offered him but
it also annoys me that we are going to go down that path with the most over rated player at our club that I can recall. We are either stuck with Grundy for 7 years or we offload him to another club and keep paying half of his salary. He’s taking the space of two good players on our list. There’s no easy way out of that debacle.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:59 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Your doggie supporter friend is entirely correct.

It makes me sick - this guy went under the radar at Collingwood, despite being under-skilled, soft and disappearing, repeatedly, when the going got tough against competent opposition.

He was one of those startling players (de Goey is another) who always seemed to be half as fast chasing as he was with ball in hand - since he was always doing both running towards the opposition goal, it never ceased to amaze me.

Finally, even Buckley - who is so loyal to the same 25 players that it beggars belief - worked out the guy was a waste of space - and yet, somehow, the moment he leaves, people want to pretend he's the Messiah.

P4S,

When did you change your mind about Treloar. You posted this in 2017:

Looking through the senior list, there are, in my view, 14 players that we can be confident have the talent and aptitude to perform to the necessary standard in a final. They are:

Fasolo, Wells, Grundy, Elliott, Treloar, Langdon, Pendlebury, Adams, Varcoe, Reid, Sidey, Moore, WHE and Howe. There are a couple of other players (Goldsack, in particular) that we know were capable of doing so and would leave everything on the field for Collingwood, if they got another chance
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:21 pm

I never did. Here's my post from 12 April 2016:

Pies4shaw wrote:
^^^ Based on his first three weeks, Treloar looks like he may be a poor man's Beams. I've seen nothing to like, so far.

Meanwhile, I really love seeing this sort of stuff written about Collingwood:

"Damningly, St Kilda cautioned each other after the win not to be overly excited by victory for the quality of the opposition was so poor. They spent the game waiting for Collingwood to come at them to harass and pressure them but at every turn Collingwood instead folded back and ushered them forward."Shocked Shocked Shocked

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-recovery-session-saints-loss-wounds-buckley-20160411-go3l8v.html#ixzz45YXOlvF6
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

This is amongst the many things I posted about Treloar in 2015 when they were trying to recruit him:

Pies4shaw wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
I love Treloar but if we lose Witts and Grundy goes down, who do we have?
Presumably we then go and get a cheap back up?

No way we give up Sidebottom and first rounder. GWS wins that trade. Sidey is a top 3 B&F finisher, our best runner and one of few with good foot skills. No way we offer that.

It's OK - I'm reasonably confident that the Club isn't stupid enough to trade our second-best player for a guy who is about half as good as he is.

Having the "talent and aptitude to perform to the necessary standard in a final" and being even a solid B-grader are 2 quite different things. He's in a list with Fasolo, Varcoe and Goldsack. What did you think I was saying about him?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:25 pm

And this from 1 April 2016:

Pies4shaw wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Put Treloar in Richmond colours and we lose.

Suck my fat one Kevin.

I completely agreed with your previous comment about Collingwood getting away with one but I'm just wondering about Treloar - I thought he was consistently poor chasing etc when he didn't get the ball and wasn't especially damaging when he had it - compared with, say, Ramsay - who looked like he would set up a scoring opportunity every time he got the ball in an offensive position.

I appreciate that Treloar has had 30+ in his first two games - and that's great for a young player finding his way - but at the moment he looks like a solid accumulator a la the player formerly known as Dayne Beams, rather than a genuine match-winner.

There you have it - the guy on $900,000 being unfavourably compared with Jackson Ramsay. Does that clarify my assessment of Treloar for you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 12 of 23   

Jump to: