Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WA State Election Result

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Legislative Council seats were finalized today. I'm providing the ABC's summary because the WA Electoral Commission site doesn't give a summary of the House anywhere that I can see:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/wa/2021/guide/lc-results

The ALP has a majority in both Houses. Strangely, the Daylight Savings Party has a seat in the Council, with just 98 primary votes and the Legalise Cannabis Party has two Council seats - that is, 5.6% of the Seats, although it got less than 2% of the vote.

"Above the line" preferential voting is probably now dead in WA, you'd think.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Strange times when the Greens only get one seat and a party that more or less resembles parodies of the Greens from ~20 years ago manages to get twice as many. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 pm

^ with a third of the vote!

The Libs and Nats also copped it, as did the minor Right parties like PHONy, the Shooters etc, so I don’t think they’ll be too eager to see the minor, single issue parties getting advanced as the LNP tries to bounce back. You’d think the LNP would believe it has a chance of taking back the Council at the next election, irrespective of what happens in the Assembly.
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:12 pm

David wrote:
Strange times when the Greens only get one seat and a party that more or less resembles parodies of the Greens from ~20 years ago manages to get twice as many. Laughing

I think that says something about how people feel about the direction the Greens have taken in the last 10 or so years.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:36 pm

It's certainly the case that trying to please too many people pleases no-one. Sadly, though, I think it's more of a testament to the step between having a solid but fairly unthreatening niche as a minor party and gaining mainstream appeal being such a difficult (if not altogether impossible) one in the present system.

I'm happy to take a swing at the Greens where warranted, but I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with their policy direction, messaging or party culture. I just suspect they've hit their 8–10% ceiling of dedicated supporters and that people are looking elsewhere for protest / novelty / single-issue votes nowadays. Gone are the days when they had a mortgage on the stoner vote, that's for sure! Laughing

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:25 pm

The Greens (92,000 first preference votes in the Council) remain the third party, after the ALP (868,000) and the Libs (254,000) in WA. They receive more than double the vote of the Nats (40,000). The loss of seats in the Council is more a by-product of a general swing to the Government than a swing against the Greens. 4 parties lost representation in the Council altogether - Pauline Hanson’s One Nation (-2), the Liberal Democrats (-1), Shooters, Fishers and Farmers (-1) and the Western Australian Party (-1). The Libs and Nats lost 3 seats between them and the Greens lost 3. 3 seats went to minor parties with almost no primary vote as a consequence of the "above the line" voting option. It is fair to say that virtually any of the other parties might have achieved those 3 quotas, or some of them, on a different day - that is, they are preference-counting phenomena, rather than voting trends.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:46 pm

Hey, look at it this way: the WA Liberals came in third, behind Labor (61%), and All Others (21%). That's a podium finish, isn't it?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-23/wa-liberals-seek-coalition-with-nationals-david-honey-new-leader/100023008

I missed this hilarity, at the time:

Quote:
Dr Honey has been formally declared leader unopposed after the only other Lower House Liberal MP, Libby Mettam, decided not to stand for the top job. Ms Mettam was elected as deputy leader ....
Laughing

On the serious side of governing the State, the Nats apparently rejected the formal coalition the Libs wanted, as appears from this article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-19/wa-liberals-and-nationals-enter-alliance-not-formal-coalition/100025454
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 pm

Given the much bigger representation in the upper house, I'm kind of surprised that they didn't turn to the Legislative Council for party leadership – I'm sure it would have gone against precedent, but it's not like they don't caucus together so it would kind of make sense to draw on whatever talent they have there. (c.f. the Greens up until recently going with a Senator as party leader even though they had a lower-house MP in Adam Bandt).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 pm

That probably says more about Bandt.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 pm

Not really, I think it just signalled that they were working with a small pool and couldn't afford to be fussy about who was from which house. Bandt is leader now and seems to be a good fit. (I understand though that, in state and federal politics alike, there would be a distinction between party leadership and formal roles like opposition leader and deputy opposition leader that probably preclude upper-house members from serving.)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:34 pm

Well, this is pretty funny. The Libs have done an internal review in WA and apparently decided that some of them engaged in unethical and underhand conduct. The word "corruption" was used and the review has described their own party as a "wasteland devoid of values".

Talk about giving yourself an uppercut: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-28/wa-liberals-finds-unethical-and-underhand-conduct-pre-election/100415422
roar 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:42 am

I'd like to see more political parties give themselves an uppercut.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:45 am

^ They're all "wastelands devoid of values" - but they don't all publish reports confirming it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:22 pm

The Nats had, until yesterday, 7 MPs - in total, across both Houses - and then this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-03/james-hayward-resigns-from-wa-nationals-amid-child-sex-charges/100672814
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: