Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our ruck to midfield connection

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ 23 disposals and spending only 63% of game time on the ground is very impressive.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:57 pm

^^^
Any chance of the kid getting a tank or at least match fit???
Sier is only 21 and in his fourth year at the club.
Was injured a lot before being picked up by us in 2015.
And injured a lot with us.
Gee I would like to see him have a good run.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:08 am

Hope Brody and Pendles have both a rest and any required treatment to ease their niggling injuries

Are our boys going to Qld for a break by the way

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:40 am

Grundy looked hampered by injury yesterday and obviously struggled to get through the game. Almost broke even with gawn by way of hit outs, but we still got smashed in the clearances. I'm perplexed as to why this hasn't been addressed yet. We're just about the worst team for clearances, I think. It's not good enough. For a team supposedly brimming with midfield talent we're letting ourselves down by not winning enough clearances. It's the one area of our game holding us back.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 am

I believe our clearances will improve when Adams returns—he’s the real don’t
argue in the AFL
But that said others must contribute & one may be rob Peter to pay Paul approach
When Shaz back and in the groove try Maynard & Adams

Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm

We simply don't reap the rewards of Grundy's dominance. Can't identify why but very disappointing and frustrating.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:41 pm

Grundy I’ll bet will relish a small break
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:21 am

The return of Adams and a fit Sier, capable of playing 80% plus of game time in the midfield, should improve our clearance rate, which has been very poor for a couple of years. We can only hope the improvement comes, and comes fast, as it's the area which cost us the Premiership last year.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 am

"Sier would be a first-choice midfielder in other teams

Because of Collingwood's luxury of midfield stars, it took until round 12 for Sier to break back into the Magpies' senior side. It was a long wait, also in part due to niggling injuries that interrupted his continuity. But with Dayne Beams out of the side with a hip injury and potentially missing the rest of the season, Sier has returned to the Magpies' onball unit and showed his ability to win the ball and feed it out to his teammates. Sier collected 20 disposals and six clearances against the Western Bulldogs in Sunday's win, following a 23-disposal and nine-tackle effort against the Demons. Sier, who played in last year's Grand Final loss to West Coast in a breakout season, is out of contract and will have a number of suitors circling because of that dig-in ability."

- Callum Twomey (afl.com.au)
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 am

RudeBoy wrote:
The return of Adams and a fit Sier, capable of playing 80% plus of game time in the midfield, should improve our clearance rate, which has been very poor for a couple of years. We can only hope the improvement comes, and comes fast, as it's the area which cost us the Premiership last year.

i agree with this. I would say that people overstate the issue here. We consistently WIN the "hitouts to advantage" stat, but that doesnt mean tht 40 hitouts means 40 clearance wins. it just doesnt work like that. Firstly, their ruckman prevents Grundy from totally having his way so not every hit out goes EXACTLY where Grundy intends it. Second, guys like Bontempelli for example are bloody awesome footballers and equally able to figure out where the ball is going to go and bet our player to the ball.

When Sier or DeGoey are in the iddle, its amazing how often Grundy looks amazing because they are just bulls and get to go exactly where they want to. Oppositions can often prevent Treloar, Sidey, and Pendles from getting to the spots they are supposed to get to meaning the advntage can often be lost.

it is not as much of a strength of the magpies as we may all expect it to be, but we are still pretty good at it. I will say that during those 10 minutes of games where we "put the contest away", it is usually driven by our ascendancy in the clearances. we just rarely tend to dominate in this area for entire games.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:26 am

RudeBoy wrote:

i agree with this. I would say that people overstate the issue here. We consistently WIN the "hitouts to advantage" stat, but that doesnt mean tht 40 hitouts means 40 clearance wins. it just doesnt work like that. Firstly, their ruckman prevents Grundy from totally having his way so not every hit out goes EXACTLY where Grundy intends it. Second, guys like Bontempelli for example are bloody awesome footballers and equally able to figure out where the ball is going to go and bet our player to the ball.

When Sier or DeGoey are in the iddle, its amazing how often Grundy looks amazing because they are just bulls and get to go exactly where they want to. Oppositions can often prevent Treloar, Sidey, and Pendles from getting to the spots they are supposed to get to meaning the advntage can often be lost.

it is not as much of a strength of the magpies as we may all expect it to be, but we are still pretty good at it. I will say that during those 10 minutes of games where we "put the contest away", it is usually driven by our ascendancy in the clearances. we just rarely tend to dominate in this area for entire games.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

In Bucks post game presser he says Grundy way way off in first half and stern words at half time saw BG improve—-there was some calculated tongue in cheek in that
25 touches -2 goals -50 hit outs and INC player of the round

Must go to see Brody when he plays a full game coach & imagine his match figures then😃

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Bumpskis... grundy+midfield=big problem!!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:25 pm

And another gentle bump - the midfield was not so much of a problem against the reigning premiers - Pendles, Thor and Sidey were all in the coaches' votes this week.

Meanwhile, Grundy's 2019 is now third all-time for Collingwood in the "most hitouts in a season" stakes, behind just Brodie Grundy and Brodie Grundy.

His average (41.25 per game), at the moment, is better than his average in any other season. He is presently the only Collingwood ruckman ever to average over 40 hitouts per game for a full season. In fact, he is the only Collingwood ruckman ever to average over 35 hitouts per game for a full season. This is, of course, his third year in a row doing that.

His 5 seasons starting with 2015 are all in Collingwood's top 12 "most hitouts in a season" figures.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:38 am

The midfield cost us the 2018 Grand Final against a team with a poor midfield. That game showed us that you can sit on Pendlebury and Sidebottom because they're the only two genuinely dangerous mids Collingwood has. It's remarkable how little has changed since then. It has the potential to be better with de Goey in there (if he's fit enough) but only if Pendlebury and Sidebottom are also playing and in good form. Otherwise, we have nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11   

Jump to: