Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Hahahaha. I know what you mean. I have Bloomberg on in the background while working, but if I literally do start focusing on it during the day my time on this earth will be drawing to a close.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:59 am

Another historical story of a teacher grooming and having sex with a student, though this case has some ... unusual aspects:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/jan/15/maths-teacher-allegedly-groomed-teenage-student-at-elite-sydney-high-school-before-having-sex-with-her-jury-told

Quote:
The teacher, who cannot be legally identified, is on trial in the Downing Centre district court for alleged unlawful sexual activity with the student who turned 17 years old in 1984. The teacher has pleaded not guilty to one charge of carnal knowledge.

Crown prosecutor David Patch told the court the student, who also cannot be named, started at the school that year and was soon moved into the teacher’s maths class.

The teacher was about seven years older than the pupil at the time.

“It’s the crown case that the accused was sexually interested in the complainant from when they first met and almost immediately began grooming the complainant,” Patch said.

[…]

The court heard a key issue in the case was whether the student was under or over 17 years old when the sexual activity took place. Crown prosecutors have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the girl was under 17 for a guilty verdict to be reached.

The teacher and student are alleged to have had sexual intercourse about 10 times before August 1984.

So it seems she was around 16/17 and he was around 23/24. I'm not sure why it matters whether she was under 17, but perhaps New South Wales law is different from Victorian law on this, or else this is based on what the law was at the time.

Quote:
She was told to keep the alleged unlawful sexual activity a secret or she would be expelled, jurors were told.

At the urging of the teacher, the girl left her studies.

So far, sounds pretty bad. And then we get to this:

Quote:
They eventually entered into a long-term relationship.

After separating in the 2010s, the alleged victim went to police in March 2021, leading to the teacher’s arrest more than a year later.

It's entirely possible that leaving a relationship might lead someone to think back to how it began and look at that past through a less rose-tinted lens. But I can't help but wonder: is the fact of the alleged abuse not just merely about exploiting a vulnerable person in the moment – which is probably what's happening in most of these teacher/student grooming cases – but being the start of a thirty-year relationship any kind of defence for the accused, and if not, should it be? How did they talk about this over the years; was it a shameful secret, or was the story of how they started dating open knowledge among their friends and family? Do they have any children, and how do they feel about all this? And if they were still together and in a happy/functional relationship, with all other facts of the case being the same, would this case ever have been brought – and if not, is that a problem for how justice works?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:31 pm

I had some sexy time with my music teacher in high school. I was 15, she was 27. Not sure if she 'groomed' me... I don't think I've tried that.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:25 pm

Shocked

Are there any circumstances where you would report her to the police now? Or, to put it in another way, if you heard about the same thing happening to someone else, would you advise them to do so?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:16 am

^Crikey. What's your feelings on it now, Skids?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:31 am

I was 17 and had extra tuition from my Maths teacher. My parents were happy my grades went up. I was happy to receive extra attention. Under today's laws, she's going to jail.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:54 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Crikey. What's your feelings on it now, Skids?

Nothing really, it happened, I kept it to myself and never heard any other talk about her. It was great.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:55 am

David wrote:
Shocked

Are there any circumstances where you would report her to the police now? Or, to put it in another way, if you heard about the same thing happening to someone else, would you advise them to do so?

No way. It was a bit of harmless fun. I looked older when I was 15, never got asked for ID buying booze or going into pubs. She was a cool chick. 6 months later I was an apprentice plumber. Old enough to pay taxes, old enough to make my own decisions was the way I saw it.

I also hooked up with my basketball coaches fiancé... now THAT was awkward. Especially the part where he had me by the throat against the wall.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:30 pm

Okay I’m courting a fair bit of controversy here but l’ll ask the question anyway. Does the gender of either the victim or the perpetrator matter when it comes to prosecution? Does age play a part in differentiating between the two participants? I presume the question of consent would come down to the “he says, she says” conundrum? Any wonder that this type of legal battle is so incredibly complicated and difficult to discern accurately, especially if dishonesty plays a part.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:04 pm

^

My view, the genders shouldn't matter but my belief is a male teacher is more likely to be viewed as predatory than a female.

Teens can be groomed by a predatory teacher but equally it's been known for the student to be the one to actively seek the relationship. In that situation, the Teacher (who is supposed to be the adult and aware of their responsibilities) to not join in.

My eldest cousin married one of his high school teachers in the late 70's, when I was in Yr 12 it was common knowledge that a girl in my year was having an affair with her Art teacher (who's wife was the librarian) and after she finished school he left his wife and they shacked up together.

A good 20 years ago my Neighbours eldest son (16) was having an affair with his married teacher who was about the same age as his Mum. It was a big deal in the media at the time, because his Mum was the one who figured what happened and reported it, the young bloke cracked it with his mum, left home and cut communication with her. Last thing I heard he'd moved to Qld to be a sparky.

It's all messy when you look at different variations, but the law is supposed to protect the vulnerable, so teachers just need to keep their pants on and zipped.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:39 am

I heard an interesting conversation on the radio the other day. Not sure who they were interviewing, but the conversation was around employers unable to find young people who can actually communicate with customers.

I've noticed this so many times. You're waiting to be served and instead of the person behind the counter acknowledging you, saying something along the lines of "I'll be with you in a moment"... they don't even make eye contact. Even the neighbours kids (late teens, early 20's) who I've known for years, struggle to say hello and never are the initiators of conversation.

I was with a younger bloke (late 20's) in a pub once a few years back and he was fanging to say something to the barmaid. He carried on about how he could text chicks no worries, but actually talking to them gave him anxiety. I went with him up to the bar and broke the ice, then he totally stuffed it with a stupid comment.

Such a different world, in such a short time.
At 10 years old (late 70's) I was jumping on a train into the city after to school to hand out pamphlets in Hay St mall until dark for a few bucks every 100. Mowing the lawn (on a 1/4 acre corner block) and chopping fire wood every week.
At 11/12 I had a job on the back of a milk truck, then had a daily newspaper round and was getting dropped on a city corner at 10pm on Saturday nights to sell the Sunday Times 1st edition.
At 15 I was an apprentice plumber having tequila slammers at the pub after work on a Friday.
Communication (verbal) was essential.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:42 am

You can't compare how we grew up to the current "ME" generation.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:02 pm

^

Each new generation is just the product of the environment and culture they were raised in. No point blaming them for how they were raised.

Our generation did stuff as kids that would have the parents branded unfit today.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:12 pm

Skids wrote:
I heard an interesting conversation on the radio the other day. Not sure who they were interviewing, but the conversation was around employers unable to find young people who can actually communicate with customers.

I've noticed this so many times. You're waiting to be served and instead of the person behind the counter acknowledging you, saying something along the lines of "I'll be with you in a moment"... they don't even make eye contact. Even the neighbours kids (late teens, early 20's) who I've known for years, struggle to say hello and never are the initiators of conversation.

I was with a younger bloke (late 20's) in a pub once a few years back and he was fanging to say something to the barmaid. He carried on about how he could text chicks no worries, but actually talking to them gave him anxiety. I went with him up to the bar and broke the ice, then he totally stuffed it with a stupid comment.

Such a different world, in such a short time.
At 10 years old (late 70's) I was jumping on a train into the city after to school to hand out pamphlets in Hay St mall until dark for a few bucks every 100. Mowing the lawn (on a 1/4 acre corner block) and chopping fire wood every week.
At 11/12 I had a job on the back of a milk truck, then had a daily newspaper round and was getting dropped on a city corner at 10pm on Saturday nights to sell the Sunday Times 1st edition.
At 15 I was an apprentice plumber having tequila slammers at the pub after work on a Friday.
Communication (verbal) was essential.

It seems like a symptom of society becoming ever more atomised, individualistic and less community-oriented. No wonder so many people are lonely, don't know how to relate to one another, and focus on personal success and getting ahead as opposed to doing things for the good of society. It's not a "me" generation so much as a "me" culture, and it's not hard to see why that is.

People can defend or criticise the 1980s Thatcher/Reagan political shift, but they can't deny that this is an inevitable consequence of that (and all the social trends that led up to it). Thatcher said it herself: "There is no such thing as society." Going back the other way and reclaiming community is going to need less selfish, consumerist and money-focused thinking, and a lot more focus on others' well-being. In the long run, we'll be much happier that way.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:01 pm

Godfrey's has gone into administration.

Not surprising and I am surprised they still exist. Not sure how a stand alone vacuum retailer could survive.

I'd suggest 90% of people buy the following vacuums (not in order):
Dyson
Robovac
Kmart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 28 of 37   

Jump to: