Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop reading the Guardian.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:01 am

I haven't given too many share tips on here, but you'd have to consider GSR as a buy Wink
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:26 pm

Here we go again. Rolling Eyes And no, Stui, it's not just The Guardian that does this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-14/caitlin-moran-queen-elizabeth-ii-ray-hadley-reaction/101437200

Stop being so coy and tell us what she wrote Confused

Edit: found it here – The Daily Mail comes through this time:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nrl/article-11206045/NRLW-star-Caitlin-Moran-cops-one-game-ban-offensive-Queen-Elizabeth-Instagram-post.html

If this sort of stuff is to be considered newsworthy – and the NRL made it so by punishing her, which I of course believe to be totally unwarranted – then it's the journalist's responsibility to give us context. Stop being so damn timid FFS.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:57 pm

I agree.

If you're going to write a news article about what someone did, put the fkn detail in there.

While I can understand that what she posted would likely have been upsetting to a number of people it's not illegal in Australia to diss a Monarch (I'd suggest not trying it in Thailand though).

I think the reaction is a lot over the top personally.

Yeah, pull her into line, get her to delete it but suspended for a match and given a (suspended) fine of 25% is too much.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:18 pm

I've had misgivings about Lidia Thorpe's performance as a senator for a while now, but this new story is particularly damning:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/leaked-email-reveals-greens-staffer-scared-and-in-shock-after-lidia-thorpe-s-truly-awful-outburst-20220905-p5bfdn.html

Quote:
David Mejia-Canales, who resigned from Thorpe’s office in June, accompanied the senator to the meeting with Atkinson and Marcus Stewart, the co-chairs of the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria, and their policy adviser, Nicole Schlesinger, to discuss the state’s treaty process in a committee room in Parliament House, Canberra, on June 22, 2021.

His account of what happened and his efforts to inform the Greens’ leadership of Thorpe’s “appalling conduct” are detailed in an apology email sent from his Parliament House address to Atkinson and Stewart in June, one year after the meeting, as one of his final acts before leaving the senator’s office.

In the email, a copy of which has been obtained by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, Mejia-Canales said he still did not know why Thorpe had agreed to the meeting only to proceed “to behave so badly”.

“Since that meeting, I have wanted to reach out to you to apologise because the conduct that I witnessed at that meeting was by far one of the most unprofessional displays I have ever seen, not just during the length of my career, but in my life,” the email said.

Mejia-Canales described his shock at how the meeting “went so wrong and so quickly” and said his “biggest regret” was not ending the meeting sooner. He said he ended the meeting by getting a colleague to call the room’s phone.

“I hope that you can understand that I was scared and in shock because I have never, ever been in that situation at work,” he wrote.

I can't shake the feeling that the Greens have given themselves a hospital pass by elevating Thorpe to her current position in the party. Obviously they – as we all should – are seeking to champion Indigenous representation in parliament, and she was an obvious pick on face value as someone who had done the hard yards in state politics. And it's great that there's someone who can push for Indigenous rights (and, yes, do so radically and unapologetically) from a position of experience and personal stakes.

But none of that automatically makes her a good politician, and I really worry about the direction that Thorpe is taking the party in and whether there's any internal pushback. Basically, she seems to have really poor political judgement, spends far too much time coming up with tabloid-bait ideas like renaming the state of Victoria, often seems to act as if her audience are fellow radical identitarian leftists on Twitter and, judging by this news story, is just a pretty unpleasant person all round. This is all a long way from how the Greens actually are as a party and how they should be positioning themselves, and I fear it will hurt their credibility badly if she isn't able to reel her bull-in-a-china-shop approach back in.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:57 pm

I read that this morning.

She is a walking own goal, I personally don't have a high opinion of her.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:06 pm

She's a vile person.

The sooner the Greens get rid of her, the better off the party will be.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:59 am

Here we go again!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63137114.amp

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:57 pm

Must be nice to have a metric shitpile of money.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:58 pm

^Anything to save face. Like literally anything at that level of inflated worth.

Here's a serious and seriously perplexing question that I reckon we have to solve: How do we escape the near iron-clad law that malignant narcissists, psychopaths, and the deranged apparently by definition control everything?

Those born into elite status are the cultural version thereof, i.e., the detached culture in which the elite are embedded does the work of those mental maladies by effectively distorting people's brains through a brainwashing process.

So, whether the power or wealth is inherited or seized through other means, the control gained assumes other-destructive characteristics are dominant.

Leadership and power at any scale is just too hard and too costly in terms of a person's humanity for anyone decent to access and then take it on. And yet, we need leaders, movers and shakers. It's a genuine social dilemma we seem trapped in.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:00 pm

A bizarre way for her to be brought down (and I'm not even sure I quite understand the problem here), but Thorpe has such consistently bad judgement that it always seemed inevitable that she was going to dig herself into one hole or another:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-20/bandt-asks-thorpe-to-resign-as-senate-deputy/101557298

This is how I imagine Adam Bandt's response when his chief of staff told him he'd been keeping Thorpe's relationship with Martin secret from him (from 0:45):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ORdSJx1VXQ

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:52 pm

It was a massive conflict of interest that she didn't disclose.

If she had of diclosed it at the time, the only likely repercussion would be to replace her on that Justice committee or whatever that she was on at the time, so this is not about her relationship as such but her non disclosure of it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:03 pm

yeah, I read another piece on the ABC site that made that issue clearer. Still a bit murky as the guy wasn't actually a criminal (to our knowledge), but the fact that some of the materials she was receiving related directly to bikie gangs is hitting a bit close to home.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:32 pm

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2022/10/21/greens-bikie-gangs-insists-adam-mad-dog-bandt/

Laughing

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:30 pm

The photoshop gets me every time Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 19 of 31   

Jump to: