Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: What'sinaname

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:

One approach might be to break the dichotomous symbolism that chokes this discussion. E.g., the police and social services could be brought under a broader scheme that gets to the notion of social opportunity and betterment, confounding this silly argument once and for all. Police definitely need to be more mainstreamed so they tend less weirdo cult (so the military), but I thought this was happening. Perhaps the UK is further ahead on this front?

Just back on this quickly, I know I said that Police aren't social workers but it's easy to forget that elements of the role, pretty much are social services.

They don't just beat up protesters and junkies, think of how many times they will get called out as first responders to a Family Violence incident, or sexual assault or a multitde of other instances where they have a victim in need of empathy and support. Until they can get the person to an appropriate health professional, they're the ones who have to do that

They don't send Social Workers around to Mum and Dad's house to tell them their teenage son just crashed his car into a tree and won't be coming home again, they send the Police. What a cnut of a job that would be.

I meant to ask earlier, why do you think the UK needs to increase Police numbers?

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:23 am

More police is a good thing. It's just the policing that has to improve. As does the policy around it and the whole way everything works.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:01 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I meant to ask earlier, why do you think the UK needs to increase Police numbers?

I guess it's broadly the same in every big city in that there are no-go areas and a greater presence is needed in busy night spots. But I felt far safer on Korean streets by comparison, and much of London is worse than where I live. The UK crime data seems to show a long-term decline with a bit of a spike in recent years, but it just doesn't feel safe enough subjectively. Maybe I'm getting older and feel more decrepit or it's the darker and narrower streets, but I've never been fearful of say exercising at night and yet I'd never do it here.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:01 pm

Thanks for that, age might be a factor, in my 40s Id happily wander the CBD after midnight half pissed, I wouldn't do it now sober.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:16 am

^Yeah, it makes sense. And getting out less due to Covid can't have helped. Next, I'll be reading the Daily Mail and voting Tory Razz
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:54 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Yeah, it makes sense. And getting out less due to Covid can't have helped. Next, I'll be reading the Daily Mail and voting Tory Razz

Yep, and even now we can, I’ve spoken to a few people who seem to have a touch of PTSD from it, a friend who works in emergency on a very busy local hospital input desk says they are getting so many people with extreme anxiety because they know some one with covid or have a few symptoms. I don’t know anyone, I knew of people, but in the last 14 days, I know one case well, she’s 11, and at least 10 isolating or who have just finished isolating.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:21 am

Dunno about PTSD but with things reopening I've come to the realisation that after basically 18 months working from home, I can't go back to 9 to 5 in an office. I'm going to need to reconsider my career choices.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:56 am

my older sister turns 60 the day before christmas eve, she retires officially christmas eve, my BIL just turned 60, hes worked for social services his whole career, he retired this week, and will do a couple of days consultancy work. my eldest can work form home or go into the city, only those living in city apartments go in the rest work from home.

people are making big lifestyle choices, not a bad thing,

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:34 pm

I've enjoyed the flexibility, if I need to go back to Melbourne for a few days, instead of taking time off I work from home and can save my leave for when I actually need it.

But as of next Monday we are ordered to do 5 days a week in the office.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:25 pm

I won't need to go back before my contract is up, I'll still have the flexibility to go to the nearest office a day or 2 a week for a few hours a day for the next couple of months.

Just looking at where to from here, I have 3.5 years before I can get my super and retire and I'm not spending that doing 9-5 5 days a week in an office.

I'll need to reassess.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:40 am

^Consultancy? Troubleshooting contracts? You're in the healthcare field, right?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:54 am

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Yep, and even now we can, I’ve spoken to a few people who seem to have a touch of PTSD from it, a friend who works in emergency on a very busy local hospital input desk says they are getting so many people with extreme anxiety because they know some one with covid or have a few symptoms. I don’t know anyone, I knew of people, but in the last 14 days, I know one case well, she’s 11, and at least 10 isolating or who have just finished isolating.

Yeah, the isolation affects some people and the fear of disease others. I have a condition and take medication that makes me vulnerable, so I mask up everywhere and avoid indoors with people. My biggest stress is other people not giving a stuff, and not even being able to walk comfortably outdoors without some idiot jogging or cycling up behind me and puffing in my face.

Ironically, I got regular (community-acquired) pneumonia somehow, and I am super cautious. My guess is it came from the clinic where I get regular bloods. It scared the crap out of me, but I was negative to both Covid tests. However, it gave me a taste of what Covid must be like, because it left me with shallow breathing that felt really claustrophobic (imagine you don't have enough breath to yawn or cough, and have to take mini-breaths all the time). Fortunately, standard antibiotics cleared it up in a week. But it was a warning as to how frightening a bad case of Covid must be.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:20 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Consultancy? Troubleshooting contracts? You're in the healthcare field, right?

Nah, HR generalist. I've worked in Telecommunications, health, tertiary education and now in youth and family services.

Contracting is an option rather than consultancy, short term fixed term contracts, or maybe do a traffic control course and get a job holding a stop sign.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:55 am

^All good industries. HR is a great field at the mo, at least over here (I have to keep up with it as I deal with HR software). Short-term contracts are my preferred route. That way you can see how something goes and extend by mutual agreement if it works out. I find this a good way of maintaining a balance between a sense of permanency and independence. It's also good for companies because they need people who understand them properly but can also offer unvarnished views as an outsider, a situation which develops after you extend a couple of times.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:55 am

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Yeah, the isolation affects some people and the fear of disease others. I have a condition and take medication that makes me vulnerable, so I mask up everywhere and avoid indoors with people. My biggest stress is other people not giving a stuff, and not even being able to walk comfortably outdoors without some idiot jogging or cycling up behind me and puffing in my face.

Ironically, I got regular (community-acquired) pneumonia somehow, and I am super cautious. My guess is it came from the clinic where I get regular bloods. It scared the crap out of me, but I was negative to both Covid tests. However, it gave me a taste of what Covid must be like, because it left me with shallow breathing that felt really claustrophobic (imagine you don't have enough breath to yawn or cough, and have to take mini-breaths all the time). Fortunately, standard antibiotics cleared it up in a week. But it was a warning as to how frightening a bad case of Covid must be.

ive had plueresy and ill never forget the pain, saw my BFF with pneumonia and i still remember her gasking 15 years later, terrifying. take care mate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 13 of 36   

Jump to: