Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I guess the devil is in the (apparently unresolved) detail, right? I haven't been following this closely, but Morrison's "net zero by 2050" plan has been pilloried and labelled a fraud by many observers here in Australia, so I wonder how much there is to get excited about here.

It's a pity, reading that article, to see so many other nations still dragging their feet.

You were right, the best hopes proved too good to be true. At the death China and India amended the wording to 'phase down' coal rather than 'phase out' coal. That will please recalcitrant freeloader Australia, lambasted far and near for an appalling performance, although it still doesn't preclude a swift end to coal. Initiatives such as rules for green capital will have to do more of the heavy lifting, I guess.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:11 am

As if they don't have enough problems:

Quote:
Ghost guns, and the niche industry that produces them, have flourished because of a loophole in federal regulation: The parts used to build “privately made firearms” are classified as components, not actual guns, which means that online buyers are not required to undergo background checks or register the weapons. That makes them a powerful magnet for those banned from gun ownership, including convicted felons, domestic abusers subject to orders of protection, the mentally ill and children, like the teenager who brought his gun into Max Mendoza’s apartment, according to the police.

But the new rules, which are likely to be challenged in court by gun rights groups, are not expected to be implemented until early next year, after a lengthy public comment process. And gun control groups have raised doubts about the robustness of enforcement by federal firearms regulators.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/14/us/ghost-guns-homemade-firearms.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:07 am

This was an interesting read.

Quote:
Victoria has become one of the most heavily policed states in Australia after a two decade-long law and order rivalry between the ALP and Coalition helped build the country’s largest law enforcement organisation.

The state’s war on crime has seen spending on police, courts and prisons grow at double or triple the rate of other states and territories over the past decade, with Victoria now arresting and jailing people at levels not seen since the 19th century.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/thick-blue-line-victoria-builds-the-country-s-biggest-police-force-20211109-p59767.html

Quote:
Growth in criminal justice system spending has outstripped that of education and health since 2013, evidence of the political priority given to police numbers and law and order, especially by the Andrews government since it was first elected in 2014.

Under Labor in Victoria Police numbers have gone up, while the reverse is true under Liberals in NSW, which seems counter intuitive.

Quote:
Victoria has 327 police staff per 100,000 population, substantially more than NSW (263) or any other eastern state or the ACT. The most heavily policed jurisdiction in the country is the Northern Territory.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:17 am

It's a real problem. Particularly the expansion of the prison system, as discussed in the article. Very disappointing as this is usually one thing state Labor parties are good at (i.e. taking a sensible approach to criminal justice), but sadly it's further evidence of just how subservient Andrews is to his party's right-wing factions.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:41 am

David wrote:
It's ... further evidence of just how subservient Andrews is to his party's right-wing factions.

Got it in one.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:39 pm

I would increase the police headcount massively here as a matter of good social policy, but I guess it all depends on how police resources are being used. Are they being used for nefarious purposes in Australia? Are the sprawling suburbs really well enough policed? ('Policing' just doesn't have a negative connotation in my mind, but I might be naive as I've never lived in a police state and I'm not a targeted minority).
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:56 pm

If you have a few free Bloomberg reads to draw on, this piece on vaccine poverty is worthwhile:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-pfizer-secret-to-whats-in-the-covid-vaccine

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:05 pm

My personal impression is that, in Victoria at least, the increased Police numbers aren't being used for nefarious purposes and I also don't have a problem with extra cops around.

However, if you read the article, there's a large increase in people imprisoned particularly women and Indigenous people which suggests a failure in social services and intervention programs to me.

Increased bail restrictions mean more people in remand for longer, potential unintended consequence. The Police are Law Enforcement, not Social Workers, their job is to enforce the law and detain and arrest as required. Methinks the balance might be a tad skewed at the moment.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:44 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I would increase the police headcount massively here as a matter of good social policy, but I guess it all depends on how police resources are being used. Are they being used for nefarious purposes in Australia? Are the sprawling suburbs really well enough policed? ('Policing' just doesn't have a negative connotation in my mind, but I might be naive as I've never lived in a police state and I'm not a targeted minority).

I don’t think there are any big mysteries here – cops are cops, and an increased dependence on police will, as night follows day, lead to a more ‘policed’ community in which blunt force is prioritised over less authoritarian methods (such as might be offered by a larger social worker contingent or more positive preventative programs). Inevitably these extra resources get concentrated around "problem" communities, which is where the concept of over-policing originates:

https://www.policeaccountability.org.au/racial-profiling/systemic-racism-violence-and-the-over-policing-of-minority-groups-in-victoria/

When you say "nefarious purposes", I don’t think even the most ardent police-defunding advocate in the US is suggesting that the shooting of unarmed African-Americans is part of some organised conspiracy; it’s just an inevitable result of a system in which force is a first rather than last resort and police have too many unchecked powers. Undoubtedly cultural problems play a role, and maybe you can have a system with more police who are trained better/differently, but that’s not what seems to happen in practice: increased policing numbers tends to go hand in hand with more advanced weaponry, greater police powers and a more tough-on-crime approach to justice all round. That’s certainly the Victorian experience under this government, anyway – it’s all part of the package.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:16 pm

pietillidie wrote:
David wrote:
I guess the devil is in the (apparently unresolved) detail, right? I haven't been following this closely, but Morrison's "net zero by 2050" plan has been pilloried and labelled a fraud by many observers here in Australia, so I wonder how much there is to get excited about here.

It's a pity, reading that article, to see so many other nations still dragging their feet.

You were right, the best hopes proved too good to be true. At the death China and India amended the wording to 'phase down' coal rather than 'phase out' coal. That will please recalcitrant freeloader Australia, lambasted far and near for an appalling performance, although it still doesn't preclude a swift end to coal. Initiatives such as rules for green capital will have to do more of the heavy lifting, I guess.

Nothing worse than having a Johnson repeat your own thoughts and damage their credibility, but yes, I also think regardless of the wording it's still the death knell for coal:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-14/uk-s-johnson-climate-deal-sounds-death-knell-for-coal

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:36 pm

David wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

I don’t think there are any big mysteries here – cops are cops, and an increased dependence on police will, as night follows day, lead to a more ‘policed’ community in which blunt force is prioritised over less authoritarian methods (such as might be offered by a larger social worker contingent or more positive preventative programs). Inevitably these extra resources get concentrated around "problem" communities, which is where the concept of over-policing originates:

https://www.policeaccountability.org.au/racial-profiling/systemic-racism-violence-and-the-over-policing-of-minority-groups-in-victoria/

When you say "nefarious purposes", I don’t think even the most ardent police-defunding advocate in the US is suggesting that the shooting of unarmed African-Americans is part of some organised conspiracy; it’s just an inevitable result of a system in which force is a first rather than last resort and police have too many unchecked powers. Undoubtedly cultural problems play a role, and maybe you can have a system with more police who are trained better/differently, but that’s not what seems to happen in practice: increased policing numbers tends to go hand in hand with more advanced weaponry, greater police powers and a more tough-on-crime approach to justice all round. That’s certainly the Victorian experience under this government, anyway – it’s all part of the package.

I don't agree that policing is inevitably thuggish or even heavy-handed; that's clearly a cultural choice. The wealthy will always be able to shield themselves, but high levels of corruption on that front or conversely oppressing soft targets aren't inevitable, either.

Most police work involves nothing like thuggery, but instead keeping utter halfwits, the illicit drug industry, and a lost underclass in line. Look at the police activity numbers and tell me what surprises you about them? Which group would be better off without that additional constraint? (We both agree on minority targeting and the ills of vice and drug prohibition I'd guess, so those aside). This doesn't preclude a social referral system, which already exists; contrary to what you seem to imply, police do important social services work all day everyday. Bad actors and cultural flaws don't change that.

One approach might be to break the dichotomous symbolism that chokes this discussion. E.g., the police and social services could be brought under a broader scheme that gets to the notion of social opportunity and betterment, confounding this silly argument once and for all. Police definitely need to be more mainstreamed so they tend less weirdo cult (so the military), but I thought this was happening. Perhaps the UK is further ahead on this front?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:26 am

I can understand your frustration with a knee-jerk anti-police stance and agree that such an approach is myopic, but I feel like a bit of structuralist thinking wouldn't hurt here either.

The relationship between police and the public isn't necessarily an antagonistic or hostile one, but police do ultimately exist in one way or another, for better or for worse, to enforce state power. So what is the difference if a protest is surrounded by 500 police in riot gear as opposed to 100, or a disadvantaged outer suburb has a 5x police presence? The state's arm is strengthened, both symbolically (visually) and actually, and more state power is exerted. It is also, of course, in the police force's direct interest for the power balance to be tilted more in their favour in these exchanges, whether that be through numbers, weaponry, armour, stronger detainment powers or whatever else, because it increases their own safety and enables them to do their job more efficiently. We've seen that dynamic play out quite directly in the anti-lockdown protests of the past year and a half, just as an example.

As for greater police presence in disadvantaged areas, that's a scenario that people from minority groups – and certainly not just in America – have been telling the rest of us about for years, if we care to listen: if you're, say, a young African-Australian, police become a much bigger factor in your daily life, to the extent where you might get targeted and checked for weaponry on a semi-regular basis. We can certainly work to stamp out racial profiling, but that only gets at part of the problem: it's not just the fact of being reminded that you are a member of a minority group that is viewed prejudicially, but also an act of dominance that makes you feel disempowered, and redistributing that practice among people of different ethnicities isn't going to fix the latter problem. (Consider also the common sight – one I'm sure we're all very familiar with – of homeless people sitting outside shops in the city being ganged up on by roving bands of police and asked to move on; can you think of a dynamic that more obviously calls for a structuralist reading?)

I understand that your view here is that under-policing is as big a problem as over-policing (if not much more so). For argument's sake, let's agree that that's so but that both phenomena are possible – and, therefore, that neither under-policing nor over-policing are good and that a proportionate approach (whatever that might be) is desirable. Absent short-term political motivations, we might even assume that state governments are equipped to make that decision. But instead we have a situation in which Victoria has something like 1.3 the number of police per capita as New South Wales. What's the need for this? Is it a needs-based response to policing shortfalls, or is it instead a political response to a climate in which tabloids and talkback radio have run aggressive campaigns for much of the last decade about rampant crime (not actually backed up by statistics) and African-Australian gangs, and in which governments thus have a lot of political capital to gain by expanding policing?

I guess all that I'm trying to say is that we should at least try to meet halfway here: we don't need to take on some pantomime "all cops are bastards" view to acknowledge the existence of power and how it is wielded on a day-to-day basis, and how it corrupts – not just in the sense of capital-c corruption, which of course does happen and always will happen within police forces, but also in small ways in small interactions, from that little bit of unnecessary force to the cop who enjoys the power imbalance just a little bit too much and makes you feel just a little bit worse than they needed to. This is what the Stanford prison experiment teaches us; it's just a reality of what happens when ordinary human beings have too much power over others, and I don't think any amount of training will eradicate it. So while we can agree that police are necessary and that much of what they do is good, I think it's still reasonable to conclude that they need to be used sparingly and proportionately, and their powers ought to be rigorously kept in check – and that a failure to do so is a problem.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:00 am

The delicate balance of meeting soaring demand while alternative energy capacity builds, and averting further thug dependency:

Quote:
Germany's energy regulator has suspended the approval process for the controversial Nord Stream 2 natural gas pipeline from Russia to Germany.

It said the pipeline's operating company needed to be compliant with German law before it would certify the €10bn (£8.4bn) project.

The decision sent UK and mainland Europe wholesale gas prices, already under pressure, to three-week highs.

Critics fear the pipeline will increase Europe's energy dependence on Russia.

Russia's state-owned Gazprom said the pipeline was ready in September, but it has been beset by delays.

Running under the Baltic Sea, Nord Stream 2 will double Moscow's gas exports to Germany, but it will also circumvent Ukraine, which relies on existing pipelines for income and would be hard-hit by the loss of transit fees.

German businesses have invested heavily in the 1,225km (760-mile) pipeline and former Chancellor Gerhard Schröder has played a big role in its development.

The German regulator said "it would only be possible to certify an operator of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline if that operator was organised in a legal form under German law".

The decision is likely to set the project back several months and even when it receives German approval it will require a green light from the European Commission.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59306223

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:02 am

David wrote:
I guess all that I'm trying to say is that we should at least try to meet halfway here....

I'm sure we could. The challenge is then to find a way of framing the problem to achieve as much at scale.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:02 am

While I'm raging against the world, let me at least unload some of it on you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qilUtf7sR9c

Reality eventually catches up with hot air. If only they'd had the kahunas and discipline to filter that hot air through masks while they were at it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 12 of 36   

Jump to: