Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomastown and Camberwell Trash and Treasure markets are 2 I can name that have been runiing in the same spot since at least the 80's (both charge a gold coin entry fee BTW) and I see garage sales all the time.

How many of the people collecting money for the RCH Good Friday appeal take tap and go I wonder?

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

^Yes, unfortunately cash use has all but diminished. While it lasts, it still remains a tangible engagement for good service.
I still carry cash for 'Aussie' tips at restaurants for when I receive engaged service, staff that actually work for it to make your experience memorable.
Digital tips to me are akin to consolidated revenue of taxation, you just don't know where it'll end up.
If I have to give a digital tip, I ask the manager to find out the favourite drink of the waiter and put a few on my bill. They all love a free knock-off drink. That way the staff member is acknowledged by both the customer and the manager.
I give my local Big Issue bloke Mick $20 for the mag. He really lights up when I pass that over. It disappears into his pocket quicker than a labrador diving on a snag dropped at a BBQ.
The rare times I use Uber Eats I've always got a 'Stuart Diver' to hand over to the delivery person. They love it.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

More crimes committed by kids on bail. It has to stop. They need to be incarcerated for a long time
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:24 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
More crimes committed by kids on bail. It has to stop. They need to be incarcerated for a long time

No, they need to be provided with proper housing, adequate nutrtition, recreational opportunities, access to adequate physical health and mental health services, proper educational possiblities which take into account their learning needs
It is not rocket science.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:06 am

And if they already have access to all of that?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:02 am

stui magpie wrote:
And if they already have access to all of that?

But they don't

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:09 pm

^Some probably don't but you can't say for certain that none of them do. In fact, it's more than likely that most of them do, particularly now that they're on the radar of community services.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Some probably don't but you can't say for certain that none of them do. In fact, it's more than likely that most of them do, particularly now that they're on the radar of community services.

I can say for certain that most of these young people have absolutely no access to these fundamental social rights.
In the NT, Aboriginal kids are living in conditions associated with what was once known as the Third World.
In the major urban areas, young people are living in horrific conditions of social disadvantage which neither you, nor i, can actually visualise.
Kids don't resort to crime, violence, etc if they receive the necessary care, love and material necessities in their infancy and childhood.
The Labor government is currently cutting all social spending (health, education, unemployment benefits - in real terms ) to fund tax cuts for the wealthy and to pour billions into military rearmament for war.
They want you to believe that young people choose to commit crime because, you know, some of those young úns...they're just evil, and their parents...well they're just irresponsible...and of course it is the kids'fault if their parents aren't capable of parenting them properly.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:05 am

^

I'll give you the Indigenous kids in the NT, but I disagee with the kids in the Sth East suburbs which is where the subject of this discussion comes from.

A number of the young people in the migrant communities were either raised in refugee camps or have parents who were raised there, which didn't exactly equip them to be parents in a first world country.

All the services are there, many of them just don't know about them or how to access them. That's a failure of communication.

Then there's the gang culture and role models. Young kids are recruited into these crime gangs by older siblings or siblings of friends, in many cases because they won't go to gaol when arrested.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I'll give you the Indigenous kids in the NT, but I disagee with the kids in the Sth East suburbs which is where the subject of this discussion comes from.

A number of the young people in the migrant communities were either raised in refugee camps or have parents who were raised there, which didn't exactly equip them to be parents in a first world country.

All the services are there, many of them just don't know about them or how to access them. That's a failure of communication.

Then there's the gang culture and role models. Young kids are recruited into these crime gangs by older siblings or siblings of friends, in many cases because they won't go to gaol when arrested.

You'll "give me the indigenous kids in NT" but you won't give me the children of refugees from countries devastated by war?? Somehow, these parents, traumatised by years of imperialist interventions into already poverty stricken countries, are to be blamed because they don't know about the "services" available to them?
If it is a "failure of communication", who bears the responsiblity for that?
Moreover, the services that you speak of are completely inadequate: just as they are for the general population overall.
Have you actually ever interacted with the public health system or public mental health services recently? If you had, you would understand that the services available are criminally deficient.
Your argument that "young kids are recruited into gangs" is merely a reflection of what I said earlier. Kids who receive the necessary emotional, physical, educational support in their earliest years won't be recruiited into gangs.
Social conditions determine social behaviour.
Impose barbaric conditions, you get a barbaric response.
What you fail to recognise is that there is no line of division between indigenous kids, the kids of refugees, and the kids of the most economically disadvantaged sections of society across Australia. The criminal neglect of aboriginal kids is simply the most extreme expression of the neglect for all children living in socio-economically distressed familes.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:49 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

They shouldn't be settled here, or at least spend a good 12 months or more in detention centres being taught what the expected behaviours are. Parents can be taught to parent and the kids can start to be educated too.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:52 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Spot on. They expect bail and at most being detained overnight at worst. Then back on the street to steal more cars and break into more homes.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:59 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Some probably don't but you can't say for certain that none of them do. In fact, it's more than likely that most of them do, particularly now that they're on the radar of community services.

I can say for certain that most of these young people have absolutely no access to these fundamental social rights.
In the NT, Aboriginal kids are living in conditions associated with what was once known as the Third World.
In the major urban areas, young people are living in horrific conditions of social disadvantage which neither you, nor i, can actually visualise.
Kids don't resort to crime, violence, etc if they receive the necessary care, love and material necessities in their infancy and childhood.
The Labor government is currently cutting all social spending (health, education, unemployment benefits - in real terms ) to fund tax cuts for the wealthy and to pour billions into military rearmament for war.
They want you to believe that young people choose to commit crime because, you know, some of those young úns...they're just evil, and their parents...well they're just irresponsible...and of course it is the kids'fault if their parents aren't capable of parenting them properly.

If that's the case, we need to stop the immigration of refugees, asylum seekers and others in need. Let's only allow educated people or those with the sills needed in the country that they will be employed and not require social assistance.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:53 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

You'll "give me the indigenous kids in NT" but you won't give me the children of refugees from countries devastated by war?? Somehow, these parents, traumatised by years of imperialist interventions into already poverty stricken countries, are to be blamed because they don't know about the "services" available to them?

Where did I say they were to blame?

Quote:

If it is a "failure of communication", who bears the responsiblity for that?
The service providers for not understanding the demographics of their catchement.

Quote:

Moreover, the services that you speak of are completely inadequate: just as they are for the general population overall.
Have you actually ever interacted with the public health system or public mental health services recently? If you had, you would understand that the services available are criminally deficient.
Yes I have and no they're not. They could be improved, yes.

Quote:

Your argument that "young kids are recruited into gangs" is merely a reflection of what I said earlier. Kids who receive the necessary emotional, physical, educational support in their earliest years won't be recruiited into gangs.

Then it clearly follows that since only a small minority of the kids are a problem, the vast majority must be getting all that support.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:43 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

If that's the case, we need to stop the immigration of refugees, asylum seekers and others in need. Let's only allow educated people or those with the sills needed in the country that they will be employed and not require social assistance.

The third and best option is to lose the gated-community mentality and acknowledge that Australia is part of the world and that its problems are ours too. We can take in people who need help and give them the resources and infrastructure they need to be able to thrive and contribute to the betterment of the country. Any failure to do the latter is on us, not them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 31 of 37   

Jump to: