Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
As I said, the industry is being disrupted just like taxis and hotels with Uber and Airbnb. Adapt for be left behind.

I guess I take similar views on those two companies and see those "disruptions" (and the particularly exploitative practices of companies like Uber) as changes that have made things worse for all of us – so would applaud anyone who stands up against them and pushes for bigger regulations/protections.

In this case, it's possible to embrace technological change as well as safeguard against the erosion of workers' rights. And that does require a lot of people to be willing to fight back, because the big corporations will happily take whatever they can get away with, and not much will stand in their way if there's no collective resistance.

More to the point, it's not like this will have any negative impact on the streamers – just that the employees they depend upon will get a bigger share of the profits. Ultimately that's between the workers and their employers, and if they use their leverage through stop-work actions and succeed, then all power to them.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:30 pm

Interesting that you think Uber has worsened the taxi industry. Would like to understand why you think that.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:03 pm

I think we all know the stories by now, but this sums it up: https://thewire.in/labour/uber-drivers-pay-exploitation

I've never looked at the taxi industry with any degree of idealism either – and recent personal experiences certainly haven't helped! – and to some extent thought those companies got what was coming to them when Uber came in. But at least with taxi companies drivers have something like dependable work, leave, workplace protections etc. The gig economy does away with most of that and leaves people to the mercy of the market while the rideshare company scoops up all the profits. It seems to me less "disruptive" (in the sense of bringing positive change) than simply a new, more efficient way to do capitalism that cuts out a lot of inefficiencies that protected employees.

See the way Airbnb is putting hotels out of business by essentially running staff-free accommodation (meanwhile inflating the property market) for a similar example. You start with a fairly uncontroversial idea (people renting out their own living space on a case-by-case basis) and end up with the big property moguls moving in and making newer and crappier hotels.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:09 pm

^We live in a mad world of extremes, where people pile on too hard one way or the other. The whole taxi licence business was an anti-competitive sham (though TBH I can't remember if it was as bad in Oz as it was in other countries), and had no incentive to improve technology, convenience, availability and price.

I'm less enamoured by Airbnb and like companies, although no doubt they have helped pressure the hotel business to provide more affordable options. While the ease and opportunity for people to earn a quid is goood, housing shortages are one of the top few problems of our times. Much more minor but irritating, urban noise pollution is hard enough to contain without it being kept in controlled areas such as entertainment districts (think of areas that attract partygoers to Airbnbs, although to their credit I think they've cracked down on that a bit).

Many of these things are a balance, but rather than grasping the nettle and implementing balanced policy ahead of the curve, governments tend to react after the fact to popular outrage one way or the other, flipping from one sub-optimal solution to the next.

That said, there needed to be a wave of pressure to open up the taxi industry, so the Uber-type operators would argue they had to go overboard to force the hand of governments. But again, that's why I respect governments and political leaders who make those hard but balanced decisions early.

We could get the regulatory balance right far quicker on all of these things, including protecting gig workers without choking off change and innovation, if internet mobs and voters weren't such shrieking, unthinking, irresponsible and unaccountable halfwits.

Not to mention there is always a parasitic wannabe demogagues ready to co-opt clueless mobs by turning what ought to be mundane management decisions into outraged political movements. (And once the dumb decision is made, like Brexit, it takes years for the idiots who supported it to admit their mistake like grown adults and move on, meaning the mistake can linger on for years).

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:22 pm

If you hate The Guardian, just do what I do and scan down the home page and check the authors, as they do syndicate some good articles. Bernie Sanders is one you will see today, while there's a syndicated piece from the Irish Times, which I read for work purposes, on the support for Palestine in the EU (and which is very vocal in Ireland). Remember, much of the EU also rightly opposed the Iraq War, so it is often crucial in countering American extremism.

There is even an article by perennial coc£head and conservative economist Kenneth Rogoff, of Reinhart-Rogoff spreadsheet error fame, so not everything is leftist drone. This time, Rogoff's point is pretty good. Just avoid the editorials and regular columnists, except John Crace, whose UK political satire is painfully accurate.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/01/gaza-humanitarian-pause-bernie-sanders

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/02/ireland-criticism-israel-eu-palestinian-rights

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/01/so-no-10-run-by-donkeys-went-to-oxbridge-my-dog-could-have-done-better

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/02/emerging-markets-debt-crisis-defaults

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:20 pm

Today in bad journalistic practices, this headline from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/27/liz-truss-republican-president-election-2024

Quote:
Liz Truss backs Trump with call for Republican presidential victory

Liz Truss, the shortest-serving prime minister in British history, who was memorably shown to have a shorter shelf life than a lettuce, has in effect backed Donald Trump in next year’s US presidential election.

Except she hasn't at all, according to the article itself. She has said that she wants "a Republican" to be the next president, which could, in theory, be anyone currently running in that party's primary. One might surmise based on that that she would be happy for Trump to win given he's considered the most likely Republican presidential nominee – and one might even write an op-ed or social media post speculating to that effect – but this is supposed to be a factual hard-news story, not a tea-leaf-reading exercise. And needless to say, a former British conservative party prime minister announcing that she supports the American conservative party isn't much of a news story at all.

This kind of opinion/entertainment masquerading as news (see also this Yahoo News version of the story: https://au.news.yahoo.com/liz-truss-throws-weight-behind-100250701.html) seems to be particularly endemic to the American arm of The Guardian – whenever I read something as facile as this, I need only take a glance at the URL and there it is: "theguardian.com/us-news". Stuff like this should embarrass the editorial staff at the UK headquarters, and I hope it does.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:59 pm

^Will never embarrass them. They backstabbed Julian Assange, so what more could one expect of this pro-corporate rabble?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:01 am

We no longer have "News", what we actually have is "Views" thanks to agenda-driven media.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:28 am

This sounds like it could be a workable nuclear fusion proof of concept. The practical engineering is a way off, but laser engineering is advancing rapidly, and the prize is enormous:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-04045-8

Quote:
For many scientists, the results confirm that the laboratory is now operating in a new regime: researchers can repeatedly hit a goal they’ve been chasing for more than a decade. Tiny variations in the laser pulses or minor defects in the diamond capsule can still allow energy to escape, making for an imperfect implosion, but the scientists now better understand the main variables at play and how to manipulate them.

“Even when we have these issues, we can still get more than a megajoule of fusion energy, which is good,” says Annie Kritcher, the NIF’s lead designer on this series of experiments.

New hubs
It’s a long way from there to providing fusion energy to the power grid, however, and the NIF, although currently home to the world’s largest laser, is not well-suited for that task. The facility’s laser system is enormously inefficient, and more than 99% of the energy that goes into a single ignition attempt is lost before it can reach the target.

Developing more efficient laser systems is one goal of the DOE’s new inertial-fusion-energy research programme. This month, the agency announced US$42 million over four years to establish three new research centres — each involving a mix of national laboratories, university researchers and industry partners — that will work towards this and other advances.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:15 pm

Here's an excellent piece on Aussie water trading, which has been effective in some ways, and disastrous in others. I won't comment as I don't know enough about the subject anymore, but it's no doubt a crucial topic and this is a solid effort:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2023-australia-water-trade-drought/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:41 am

Culprit wrote:
We no longer have "News", what we actually have is "Views" thanks to agenda-driven media.

Truth

And it offends everyone in someway!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:56 pm

Just happened to flick on FTA by accident and what's one of the stories? That hack comedian who became an expert in Viruses got injured in a surfing accident. Like really, who gives a toss? No wonder I don't watch FTA.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:12 pm

^

What's FTA? Confused

I don't watch TV until evening unless there's cricket or footy on.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:53 pm

Free To Air
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:11 pm

Doh. I watch FTA a lot, but as I said, the TV generally doesn't go on til 6pm for the news.

If i ever find myself sitting down watching TV during the day, unless it's sport, that's a sign it's time to climb to the top of the Toc bridge and shoot myself in the head.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 27 of 40   

Jump to: