Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, because they generally aren't predatory?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:19 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
And again, a female teacher having sex with a male student get off imprisonment.

It's not as if the industry can't find female teachers. They are everywhere, so why are these predatory females protected?

They're not protected, though. Any teacher found guilty of something like this is obviously going to lose her job and likely any chance of re-entering the profession; she's also going to have a criminal record and I would assume be placed on the sex offender register, which has a range of onerous provisions.

Otherwise of course I agree with roar that one has to take into account the nature and context of the offending, whether or not there was a grooming process and so on. The fact that he was over the age of consent is not a defence (as we've discussed on here regarding such cases in the past), but it's also something the judge was right to factor in. You can't just treat prison as a one-size-fits-all solution.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/melbourne/article-11842475/Female-teacher-Monique-Ooms-secret-sex-student-not-jailed.html

Quote:
Judge Smallwood said he had never dealt with a case involving a teacher where the child wasn't aged under 16.

The experienced judge said he was concerned whether or not Ooms' victim had actually been harmed by their illicit liaisons.

'Often in these situations the harm is what comes from other people after it becomes public,' he said.

Judge Smallwood said while Ooms' victim was a school student, he was not a child aged under 16.

'There has clearly been discussion between he and her about the wrongfulness of it. He nevertheless consents and makes that very clear,' he said.

'He being very close to 17 ... does that go to in any way, shape or form the objective seriousness of the offending?'

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:05 pm

Most 16 year old boys would have carried a barely concealed weapon pver a female teacher. My 16 year old neighbours son got jiggy with his teacher near 20 years ago. She lost her job, he had the shits with his mum for reporting it, left school and left home. Last thing I heard he was a sparky in Qld and hadn't spoken to his mum since then.

Women are less likely to be predatory than males and are more likely to be used to being the object of desire from males, so better equipped to defuse the clumsy advances of a horny 16 year old lothario. Some don't, as in this situation.

She gets punished in accordance with the law. I don't really think it's comparable with a male teacher grooming and basically raping a juvenile girl.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:29 pm

I do appreciate the argument that we’re prone to making sexist assumptions in cases like this: the teenage boy with the older woman was living out a fantasy, whereas the teenage girl with the older man was helplessly manipulated and used; men are predatory, women aren’t. Malka Leifer, for one, puts the lie to the latter – so does it take a female victim for us to acknowledge that?

We should challenge those stereotypes (particularly as they’re used to downplay male victimisation) and recognise that they can be wrong in both directions – indeed, many of these teacher / older student cases likely contain elements of agency as well as exploitation, regardless of the victim’s gender. Female sexual desire is no less powerful than its male counterpart.

Nonetheless, there can be no doubt that gender power dynamics are evident in at least some of these cases – including this one – and it’s not wrong to consider that when deciding the extent of offending. The important thing is to be able to look at all of the available facts of the case and see how it stacks up against others of its kind, and the judge seems to have performed that duty here. Those decrying the non-custodial sentence should do likewise. All crimes have gradations, after all.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:26 pm

Oh I've seen it work both ways, I'll go back to Highschool in the early 80's.

1 girl in Yr 12 was rooting the arts teacher who's wife worked in the library. Everyone seemed to know about it but nothing happened til the end of the year when he left his wife and took off with her.

Another girl had a part time job that turned into the business owner dumping his wife and kids to shack up with a 17 yr old schoolgirl.

I don't know how their stories ended but at the time, neither of those girls had Victim emblazoned on their forehead. The latter one showed up to the Yr 12 formal wearing an outfit described by most of the other girls as being "Too Adult".

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 pm

I remember from the growth rates it was likely to happen, but here it is:

Quote:
Melbourne overtakes Sydney as Australia's biggest city

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-65261720

For the record, few cities beat Melbourne. We drove to Tottenham Hotspur stadium last weekend, and by geez London is ugly. Why anyone (with work choices) would live there is beyond me.

The economy is still preferable here for our lines of work, not to mention I work from home, while obviously the European and local travel options are amazing. But you don't need to live in London to avail yourself of them.

I know that Tatura, where mum lives, is also growing at a pace. Moving up there back when they did has ended up a very good call, and plenty of relatives live up that way, so she's not isolated.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:28 pm

Tatura. 20 odd km west of Kialla, very close to Shep. Nice place to live. You can keep London.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:23 pm

David wrote:
I expect he has zero chance of success, but he kind of has a point. Life expectancy often either explicitly or implicitly plays a role in determining retirement age:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167668721000810
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-05-20/rudd-on-pension-age-get-used-to-it/1688570

In 2009, we just meekly accepted the retirement age being raised to 67, and the last government considered raising it to 70 (which will no doubt happen anyway sooner or later). Meanwhile, while I was in France earlier this month, I witnessed massive protests and strikes over a proposal to raise the retirement age … from 62 to 64.

https://redflag.org.au/article/french-workers-raise-their-heads-again

If only we had some of that spirit here.

With life expectancy increasing, 62 is young, depending on super requirements etc, and how good the government is at taxes etc. Greece has a retirement age of 55, it’s a dump, not enough workers to look after the retireees, I was shocked at the state of the place, so sad.

70 is too high, I reckon 65 was about right. I’m not sure if it’s a when you were born thing, but we have been exploring our options, and will start using some super after July 1st. That actually has more to do with last years tax bills than age, but hubby is almost 67 and we are eligible to do it, but there are rules. I’m 60 this year, I think She said I’m eligible to use my portion too after that. (Self managed, it’s in one account).

Is there anyone here who wonders if they have enough super to get them through at a reasonable standard? I guess it depends partly on your age
At the time it became mandatory.

Until we had self managed we didn’t push extra for super because I don’t trust it, I don’t think it’s right the rules can keep changing.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tatura. 20 odd km west of Kialla, very close to Shep. Nice place to live. You can keep London.

Parts of London are amazing, the parts that have been updated or cleaned up in the old style, other parts remind me of Venice, it all needs a good clean, and my cousin hates the joint because of the new buildings like that big glass tower thing, which really is a monstrosity and doesn’t fit in at all!

I’m not a fan of cities, not into the crowds, although I have to say Boston is beautiful! I also loved Cologne in Germany. Amazing place. Calgary is really pretty too.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:14 pm

The soft on crime Labor government are raising the criminal age to 12 and then to 14.

What could go wrong, right, especially with surging youth crime from teenage gangs.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:47 pm

As a general principle, I absolutely agree with raising the age of criminal responsibility. No 10 year old should be sent to a kids gaol.

The devil is in the detail as usual, you would want to have the ability to mandate counselling or other services, remove them from a toxic environment (which they already have) or provide limits.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:50 pm

Well said. Calling this decision "soft on crime" is laughable. People like What'sinaname want delinquent (literal) kids in and out of prison for the rest of their lives, with absolutely no strategy for reforming them or giving them opportunities to get the help they obviously need if they're in that position at such a young age.

It's people like that who are actually "soft on crime" – because, by being dumb on criminal policy, they're only ensuring a lot more crimes occur down the track. Real toughness means doing the hard work (and yes, it is $£$%^%%$ hard) to fix these problems, not just chucking kids behind bars and giving them a first-class criminal apprenticeship in the process.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:06 pm

Prison isn't the only option. But this removes prison as an option.

It's soft and we'll see a huge increase in crime by 10-14 year old.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:47 am

Here’s a random news story featuring yours truly:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/melbourne-city/iconic-film-magazine-metro-is-on-the-brink-of-shutdown-after-more-than-60-years-in-the-business/news-story/4d9a119961bed47e67e10d43a2691867

If anyone here would like to donate, by the way, anything you can offer would be deeply appreciated. I don’t post about it much on here, but this publication means a lot to me and I’m desperate to do whatever I can to save it: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-australias-oldest-film-publication

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:37 am

A more detailed article on the campaign here:

https://www.artshub.com.au/news/education-student-news/metro-magazines-future-under-threat-2629951/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 22 of 40   

Jump to: