Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Random News Stories

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 1 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Poulos has been dumped now. I doubt it would have happened for any other reason (say, if he'd merely circulated nasty rumours about an opponent's personal life), but hopefully this will make political operatives think twice about doing this kind of thing in future:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/liberal-upper-house-mp-suspended-disendorsed-over-explicit-photo-scandal-20230218-p5cllb.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:16 am

In a completely unrelated news story, another expensive artwork has been accidentally broken in a gallery. Mercifully, nothing of value has been lost:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/feb/19/art-fair-visitor-breaks-42000-dollar-jeff-koons-balloon-dog-sculpture

If you ever wanted confirmation of the ridiculousness of the contemporary art world and how much these objects are actually worth, this quote sums it up:

Quote:
Sharing an old photo taken with Koons on his Instagram account on Saturday, [art collector] Gamson wrote that the mishap was “one of the most crazy things I’ve ever seen”. “Anyway, I tried to purchase the broken sculpture. It has a really cool story,” he added.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:56 pm

David wrote:
Poulos has been dumped now. I doubt it would have happened for any other reason (say, if he'd merely circulated nasty rumours about an opponent's personal life), but hopefully this will make political operatives think twice about doing this kind of thing in future:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/liberal-upper-house-mp-suspended-disendorsed-over-explicit-photo-scandal-20230218-p5cllb.html

Good descision to dis-endorse him, as I stated earlier doing that is a reflection of his character, which is not what you want in a politician. Some of the faux angst in the article though is a bit OTT. If he was sharing nude photos of her that she had reason to believe were private, then fair enough but as noted these were photos in the public domain, that she posed for, was paid for, and published in a mainstream mens magazine at the time.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:27 pm

Whilst it’d crass is that a crime ?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:07 pm

^

As far as I know, No. Simply drawing attention to the fact that someone posed nude for a magazine isn't a crime. But doing it to try to drag their character down in order to beat them in a popularity contest is poor darts and doesn't reflect well on his character IMHO.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:58 pm

Quote:
Proud Wakka Wakka man Dennis James Fisher, 64, is suing the Commonwealth in the federal court arguing he should have access to the aged pension at 64 rather than 67, because of his shorter life expectancy.

https://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/indigenous-elder-suing-government-in-bid-to-obtain-pension-early/news-story/ac2758115338ff466dff27d651c96847

This will be fun if the Government bends the knee on this one.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:07 am

I expect he has zero chance of success, but he kind of has a point. Life expectancy often either explicitly or implicitly plays a role in determining retirement age:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167668721000810
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2009-05-20/rudd-on-pension-age-get-used-to-it/1688570

In 2009, we just meekly accepted the retirement age being raised to 67, and the last government considered raising it to 70 (which will no doubt happen anyway sooner or later). Meanwhile, while I was in France earlier this month, I witnessed massive protests and strikes over a proposal to raise the retirement age … from 62 to 64.

https://redflag.org.au/article/french-workers-raise-their-heads-again

If only we had some of that spirit here.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:41 am

I can't imagine how I'm going to be doing what I do at age 67. The wear & tear on a tradies body after just 40 years is bad enough.
No mini excavators until I was in my mid 20's from memory. If you couldn't get access for a backhoe, it was hand dig.
I reckon I've moved enough dirt with a shovel to half fill Sydney harbour.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:13 pm

Redcycle collapses are harding plastics from Woolies and Coles

https://www.9news.com.au/national/soft-plastics-recycling-council-facilities-inundated-after-redcycle-collapse/2c650cde-a442-463b-9a53-f321ef17d3b1

The "green" fraud thrust upon us just lines the pockets of friends of friends of politicians and criminals (which are really one and the same).

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:33 am

The hope that Lidia Thorpe leaving the party might give the Greens some clear air may have been a little premature. She's now claiming that she never dated Dustin Martin's dad and that the Greens forced her to say she did:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/mar/07/lidia-thorpe-denies-dating-former-bikie-boss-and-is-cleared-of-wrong-doing-by-senators

Pretty embarrassing for all concerned, really.

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:20 am

It certainly is, but at least the greens know that the damage she can do to them is now somewhat limited.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:36 pm

The Bikie wasn't Dustin Martin's Dad, it may have been an uncle, but not his Dad.

Regardless, now she gets to run around shooting her mouth off, generally accountable to no one for the next 5 years while getting paid as a Senator.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:42 pm

Newly discovered enzyme that turns air into electricity, providing a new clean source of energy

Quote:
Australian scientists have discovered an enzyme that converts air into energy. The finding, published today in the journal Nature, reveals that this enzyme uses the low amounts of the hydrogen in the atmosphere to create an electrical current. This finding opens the way to create devices that literally make energy from thin air.

The research team, led by Dr. Rhys Grinter, Ph.D. student Ashleigh Kropp, and Professor Chris Greening from the Monash University Biomedicine Discovery Institute in Melbourne, Australia, produced and analyzed a hydrogen-consuming enzyme from a common soil bacterium.

Recent work by the team has shown that many bacteria use hydrogen from the atmosphere as an energy source in nutrient-poor environments. "We've known for some time that bacteria can use the trace hydrogen in the air as a source of energy to help them grow and survive, including in Antarctic soils, volcanic craters, and the deep ocean" Professor Greening said. "But we didn't know how they did this, until now."

In this Nature paper, the researchers extracted the enzyme responsible for using atmospheric hydrogen from a bacterium called Mycobacterium smegmatis. They showed that this enzyme, called Huc, turns hydrogen gas into an electrical current. Dr. Grinter notes, "Huc is extraordinarily efficient. Unlike all other known enzymes and chemical catalysts, it even consumes hydrogen below atmospheric levels—as little as 0.00005% of the air we breathe."

The researchers used several cutting-edge methods to reveal the molecular blueprint of atmospheric hydrogen oxidation. They used advanced microscopy (cryo-EM) to determine its atomic structure and electrical pathways, pushing boundaries to produce the most resolved enzyme structure reported by this method to date. They also used a technique called electrochemistry to demonstrate the purified enzyme creates electricity at minute hydrogen concentrations.

Laboratory work performed by Kropp shows that it is possible to store purified Huc for long periods. "It is astonishingly stable. It is possible to freeze the enzyme or heat it to 80 degrees celsius, and it retains its power to generate energy," Kropp said. "This reflects that this enzyme helps bacteria to survive in the most extreme environments. "

Huc is a "natural battery" that produces a sustained electrical current from air or added hydrogen. While this research is at an early stage, the discovery of Huc has considerable potential to develop small air-powered devices, for example as an alternative to solar-powered devices.

The bacteria that produce enzymes like Huc are common and can be grown in large quantities, meaning we have access to a sustainable source of the enzyme. Dr. Grinter says that a key objective for future work is to scale up Huc production. "Once we produce Huc in sufficient quantities, the sky is quite literally the limit for using it to produce clean energy."

More information: Chris Greening, Structural basis for bacterial energy extraction from atmospheric hydrogen, Nature (2023). DOI: 10.1038/s41586-023-05781-7. www.nature.com/articles/s41586-023-05781-7

Journal information: Nature

Provided by Monash University

https://phys.org/news/2023-03-newly-enzyme-air-electricity-source.html

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:09 pm

^

I read that yesterday, also saw it on the news. Very interesting breakthrough. Early stages they'd be looking at small devices like a phone, smartwatch or hearing aids. Don't think it's going to be powering our homes any time soon though.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:32 pm

And again, a female teacher having sex with a male student get off imprisonment.

It's not as if the industry can't find female teachers. They are everywhere, so why are these predatory females protected?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 21 of 37   

Jump to: